It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking the WISDOM of ATS, Graphic Pictures of Destruction.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I am an option #4 person....

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
Hey Druid, sorry to hear about the um malfunction. I wanted to jump on and let you know that you can go to a computer store and for about $10 buy a cable. This cable will connect from your Acer to a flat screen TV. Its the trapezoid shaped plug in with all the posts on the side of the laptop and a matching one on the TV. This will at least allow you to view what you are doing so you can extract you data to a memory stick just in case something goes wrong.

Edit to add: we use this(my wifes lappy is also an Acer) to watch movies as a family from time to time when we are streaming them online. We have Netflix running through the xbox but for the newer releases we use her lappy.
edit on 25-7-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

Cable: Check.
Flat Screen TV: Check.
Network storage: Check.

Hooking up the laptop so the kid can play Diablo 3? NOT YET!

And yeah, I don't mind the Acer, with 4 GB ram, it does everything just fine for me. No complaints.

(Except for the newly busted LCD!)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Flag on your link. Made me smile.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Well, OBVIOUSLY you aren't a gamer.

I started with Diablo. Played Diablo 2 over two phone lines on a 56kb modem with my 18 year old when he was that age. Played Starcraft also, same settings. When the 8 year old learned, he played SC and Diablo 2.

Gamer's have waited 10 frikken long years for SC 2 and Diablo 3. You just don't know if you haven't been there.

The whole family is a bunch of die hard gamers. RTS is my forte. FPS is theirs.

I can't hang with FPS.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
You need to try to figure out why an 8 year old is so angry that he loses it and gets so violent - over a game. There is most likely more at "play" here. Talk to him - have his mom talk to him - gently, slowly, calmly. Mention it to his pediatrician.

That is not normal. Something is bothering him and I don't think it's the game.
edit on 25-7-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

Well, I wanted to smash the thing when it took me 10 tries to beat the Skeleton King on Diablo 3. I didn't lose my cool, I went online and got help.

What is NOT normal is cheaply made laptops. The screens are flimsy. Breaking the LCD panel? New to me.

Thanks for your input, but on Battle.net, he'd kick your butt on a multiplayer map on StarCraft 2. Kids love to play games.

For me, when I was 16, pre-internet, I had a Commodore-64, and it was Beachhead, Summer Games, and Wizard of Wor. Oh yeah, toss in Raid over Moscow. Took forever to solve that one.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

That is the plan until I find the best price on a replacement screen.

I'll figure something out.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

OMG!

You so cannot tell me you can beat the skeleton king on diablo 3.....

dude.... how old are you? Really?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

No swats? Gasp!

Why does that not surprise me?

Thanks for stopping by.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

The OP stated I was 44.

And yes, it's the first BOSS. I was going up against it with a level 12 Demon Hunter. I sucked. Big time.

Age thus stated, I am old and feeble with hand eye coordination. I also go into panic mode when all those frikken monsters spawn on the screen.

I was happy with simpler games. However, as a parent, I have to learn the new ones. Trading gear, and all. It's interaction on a digital level.

Conform, or ship out, aye?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

That is the plan until I find the best price on a replacement screen.

I'll figure something out.

Unless you have a friend in the laptop scrap business area, you are going to spend a lot restoring that laptop to it's original condition. No way around it.

The external monitor is your best solution I think. Sacrifice that laptop as a casualty of parenthood and work on buying a new/used laptop replacement. It'll be cheaper than replacing your broken screen, unfortunately.

Put it in a room with an external monitor and chalk it up as a loss and a lesson learned.
It can still run great as a desktop type setup with an external monitor. Screen bad, cpu good.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

He is still on the PS2 but damn he is good!!!! I have some emulators on the PC so he has done some of the older games.

I play a game called Cube 2 often and he interested in playing, but I am hesitant as it is a FPS.

I like the avy btw.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I'll agree. You take hits as a parent. However, I will hunt for the best price on a replacement screen, simply because I am geeky and REAL handy with tools.

That doesn't solve the issue if the kid gets to play his game anytime soon or not. I'll give him a day or two to decide.

As of this moment, the laptop is sitting, defunct. It boots, it ding-a-lings at the login screen, but no display. I haven't even thought about hooking it up to the flatscreen yet.

One lesson will be patience. The second is remorse.

I'll post his response tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I do not much try digital interaction, I suck at it. The best I get digitally is to laugh at my fellow ATSers family style!

My son can beat Diablo 3 and anything else on the market, it takes him a few days with a new game, once he has it beat he is bored. He looks for games that dont end or get boring once you reach the highest levels....

He also learned long ago to make money off of it though....

he makes about 500 to 1000 a month off of selling stuff he can gather to others who cannot gather it (or whatever it is) which pays to keep him in new games.... expensive darn habit it is apparently!

Nope, not even gonna try to go there!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by coven83

The trick is to watch them learn. Good luck on your endeavors, but you'll find their skills soon outweigh your own.

Best of all, it's bonding. Play multi-player when he's old enough. You'll love it. With any MP game.

and....Thanks. Agarta made it.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
Maybe skip the swatting and just don't let an 8 year old use your laptop in the future

You let a young child use expensive equipment - the lesson is yours as much as his
edit on 25-7-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

THIS ^

lol why would you give an 8-year old a laptop AND let him play a frustrating game like Diablo 3.

now that i think about it, i'm not sure what the problem was.. it very well may just be diablo 3. it's definitely made me want to throw stuff across the room before the inferno nerfs LOL
edit on 25-7-2012 by Gwampo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join