It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds dismiss largest US human trafficking case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

HONOLULU (AP) -- A federal judge dismissed human trafficking charges Friday against executives and business associates of a labor recruiting company accused of exploiting hundreds of farm workers from Thailand by putting them into debt, confiscating their passports and threatening to deport them.
AP NEWS I thought this was an interesting story that seems to be not getting much attention in light of the Colorado shooting. Here's the reasoning behind the dismissal.

"Based on this further investigation, the government has determined that dismissal of this matter is in the interest of justice, because the government is unable to prove the elements of the charged offenses beyond a reasonable doubt," the order said.
It does sound reasonable to me. I think in fairness of justice it should be proven beyond reasonable doubt. The one oddity in the article that struck a nerve was this comment.

"To dismiss a case with no intention of bringing it back as a new indictment is very unusual," Green said. "You never see the government just walk away from a case that they spent millions of dollars on."
Kind of odd, but then again I know very little on this case. It was just a story I came across and figured I'd publish a thread for the community. Maybe someone a little more knowledgeable will be able to explain the intricacies of this case.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Now, would you be surprised if I told you one of the major players in this ring, Israeli national Mordechai Orian, is a big Republican donor? Of course you wouldn't. More disturbing (at least to me) in light of the charges is his affiliation with a Texas adoption agency. It turns out that Orian is listed as the president and "business manager" for Adoption Services Worldwide Inc., a San Antonio, Texas adoption agency active in international adoptions. The website features many pictures of Orian with happy adoptive families. I have to wonder: Exactly what kind of business services did this Beverly Hills resident provide to this Texas company?

Crooks and Liars

According to that estimation, trafficking in human beings is now the third largest source of profits for organized crime, behind drugs and arms ..

Rights Work

U.S. prisons are full of disenfranchised individuals doing time for victimless crimes or in some cases 25 to life where their third strike was simply a misdemeanor, and this politically connected rich scumbag gets off the hook for human trafficking. Just further proof that our "justice system" is a total joke.

F.T.G.

edit on 21-7-2012 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Sad and disturbing stuff. Star and Flag. I'm afraid everything of significance is going to be buried right now in the wake of the Colorado theater shooting. The corruption and evil run so deep and so high up in every facet of every agency that governs our lives it is a wonder we are able to still have decency and morality left at all.

new topics

join