It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fun with Pictures

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Remember the old ATS uploads page?

The one where, if you knew the proper BB codes, you could justify your pics left or right, wrapping the text around them so your post looks like a magazine article? You used to be able to resize your pics and they would automatically appear in the center of your post. Now, with the new ATS upload page, this ability is lost for the most part, or has it?

Well, obviously not or you wouldn’t be seeing that Russian spy’s fine little bottom on the right side of the page right now.

Me, I always love to put pics in my threads in order to keep the reader’s interest of make the post more relevant. I wasn’t satisfied with the status quo of having all of my pics appearing on the left side all the time and not being able to wrap the text around them anymore. A while back, I did some tinkering with the pics and found out how to get back what was lost for a time. It all revolves around using the last code choice to make your posts. The External full URL link code.

That code is the key to solving all of your pic placement and resizing issues. All you have to do is copy this code and post it between the proper BB codes and you’re in business. You just need to know the proper BB codes to get your pics to do what you want them to do.

In order to justify your pics right or left and wrap the text around them, you use the

[ imgr]code[ /img] for the right side or [ imgl]code[ /img] for the left side.

You can also us this method to stack small images, one after another, in a line in your posts as I do when posting multiple non-ATS approved smileys. It’s best to put a space between the codes when you do this or funny things can happen.

[ imgl]code[ /img] [ imgl]code[/img] [ imgl]code[ /img] [ imgl]code[ /img] [ imgl]code[ /img]

You can also center a pic, instead of having it posted off to the left all the time. In order to do this, you use the

[ atsimg]code[ /atsimg] BB code. [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/il4e949fca.jpg[/atsimg]

In order to resize a pic that’s way too big, or, if you just don’t want the scroll bar appearing under it when you post (The scroll bar appears when an image is over 600 pixels wide although the ATS post box can accommodate pics up to 640 pixels wide with no problems) you use the

[ ats=600x480]code[ /img] BB code.

600x480 works best for most demotivator posters.

For other pics, it is best to right click on the pic and click View Image Info to find out the dimensions of the pic and try to resize it proportionally to the original pic’s dimensions, otherwise, the pic could show up stretched out of shape or distorted.

With some pics, that can be a crime against humanity IMHO.

Remember folks; the PREVIEW button is your friend. Always check how the post will look before posting.

The next issue to overcome regarding the ATS uploads page is the fact that the file size is limited to a puny 500kb which means that a lot of those really entertaining animated gifs are out of reach for the average ATS poster.

The solution to this problem is a little more involved and you may have to pay for the use of an image hosting service if you’re really dedicated. Me, I started using Photobucket to store my larger file size images for posting on ATS. In order to post these images on ATS, you copy the last code, the IMG code and paste it directly into your ATS post.

Anoth er method (which I find more reliable) is to copy the Direct link code and paste it inside

[ ats] and [ /ats].

This code also allows you to use the BB codes to justify left or right the image, allowing the text to wrap around it or to resize or center the image just like any ATS image using the BB codes above.

There is one limitation to all of this; you can only do one thing at a time with your pics. You cannot both justify right a pic AND resize it when posting it. You can only do one or the other. Stacking BB codes does not work when posting pics.

That’s the extent of my specialized knowledge on this subject. I hope you find this info useful in your future posting. If anyone else has any more tricks that you know of to manipulate pics when posting on ATS, please feel free to share in this thread.

In the mean time feel free to practice this stuff in this thread and ask questions if you have any problems. BTW, I included an extra space in all of my BB code examples so they would show up in this thread. You’ll need to remove that extra space from your codes before trying any of them.

Good luck and happy posting.

edit on 7/18/12 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Very awesome thank you for posting this info. I'm sure it will come in handy often.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

OMG

You're a GENIUS!!! .... and an AWESOME sleepy cat!!!

I can't wait to try some of these!!!

...very nice pic choices too!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Great information, thank you!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Ok,purple chiten,I like you,but that avatar is annoying.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Ok,purple chiten,I like you,but that avatar is annoying.

LOL chitens have ADHD!!

well.... just for you.... I'll change it a little

OK, how's that? I made him stay still!

edit on 18-7-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I never saw it move... But as it is right now, I like it!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Much better,I'm getting older and need less action going on with the screen.
BTW I'm old school adhd,it wears off after a while.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Much better,I'm getting older and need less action going on with the screen.
BTW I'm old school adhd,it wears off after a while.

I dunno, I'm in my 40's and mine is still going strong!!!

... easier to control these days....on good days..... but it's still there!

edit on 19-7-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Just playing sorry, carry on lol

Apparently ATS can only handle the most basic BB codes.
edit on 19-7-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
Just playing sorry, carry on lol

Apparently ATS can only handle the most basic BB codes.

I think the only BB codes that work in ATS are the ones Loam included in his awesome thread A Guide to BBCode on ATS.

The codes I used in this thread are all variants of those BB codes using the External full URL link code from the uploads page.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Thanks for the link. I found wrap codes to put text on both sides of the pic but they didn't work or the scrolling text and blurry text, etc. I just thought I would try them out.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta

Thanks for the link. I found wrap codes to put text on both sides of the pic but they didn't work or the scrolling text and blurry text, etc. I just thought I would try them out.

This thread is a good place to try out stuff like that. If you discover anything new that works here, please let us know.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
W
h
a
t

o
n
e
l
i
n
e
r
?

edit on 19/7/12 by D.Wolf because: what edit??

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Another thing I've noticed is that, if you post something on ATS and later delete that pic from your album, it doesn't disappear from your post. Something to keep in mind when posting potentially embarassing pics of yourself

I found this out when I noticed the "F-word" in a demotivator I had used, long after the edit window had closed, and tried deleting the pic from my album to keep the mods from coming after me. It didn't work so I hit the alert button on my own post before the mods could zing me and asked them to replace it with an edited version that had the offending word blocked out.

The mods were cool and replaced it for me with no penalties.

Anyway, testing, testing...

I'm gonna delete this pic from my files after posting it and we'll see what happens.
edit on 7/19/12 by FortAnthem because: It worked! See, the pic is still there even after I deleted it from my album.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Looks like maybe they changed that feature in the code so they disappear now

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Thanks Fort!

Bumping and bookmarking this thread for continued use!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

The deleted cop car pic still appears in my post above so unless they fixed it since last night, your pics won't disappear from your posts if you delete them from your album.

I'm thinking of cleaning up a lot of old funny pics from my album. I've got literally hundreds of them in there and it takes the page forever to load up if my connection is slow and it takes a long time just to scroll down to the bottom to see my new pics.

Another test:

ETA: Still there and I deleted it just minutes after uploading and posting it.

edit on 7/20/12 by FortAnthem because:
______________ extra DIV

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
i didnt really read anything in this thread.
but god bless you Fortanthem!

edit on 20-7-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

The deleted cop car pic still appears in my post above so unless they fixed it since last night, your pics won't disappear from your posts if you delete them from your album.

I'm thinking of cleaning up a lot of old funny pics from my album. I've got literally hundreds of them in there and it takes the page forever to load up if my connection is slow and it takes a long time just to scroll down to the bottom to see my new pics.

Another test:

ETA: Still there and I deleted it just minutes after uploading and posting it.

edit on 7/20/12 by FortAnthem because:
______________ extra DIV

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join