It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nitonol

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

Put them together, hell, I never knew any of these existed. Give it a few more years, we'll find mad applications for it. Hell, we should just start buying stock in it

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

Another application in space is the capability to use Nitinol in the perimeter of an antenna, or other device that must be unfurled from a rolled-up position in order to pack it tightly upon launch until orbital insertion. Then the device is given a short-term current to activate the Nitinol into its pre-trained shape (unfurled). After unfurling, the current may be shut off. The antenna, etc. would then retain the deployed shape.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by article

I tried to reply to a request from a forum member, but when I tried to send the reply I get a message that I must only reply to ATS. I am new to this site. How do I reply to a message request from a member?

Thx

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sotaxme

Is anybody on this forum familiar with Libnol? (Li=Lithium, b=Boron, NOL=Naval Ordnance Labratory). It is an alloy of the lightest metal (#3 on the Atomic Chart), and a non-metal, Boron. The struture is Li5B4. The alloy is easily machinable, and just barely above the weight of H2O. If you hold a smooth dowel of wood in one hand, and a matching size of the alloy in the other with your eyes closed you cannot tell the difference. This discovery has been out for decades, yet no development is readily visible. When the two elements are heated together, and reach the required temperature, an "Exothermic" reaction takes place. At correct temperature they produce a very bright impulse of light, and heat appearing to have been destroyed in the process. But the crucible will have an extremely lightweight compound left inside. It will not float in solid form, but it will not sink very fast either. Very near the specific gravity of H2O.

Think of the applications.
*bicycle racing frames*

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sotaxme

You should be able to reply to any post that is not closed by mods. You wont be able to make a new thread untill you've made 20 responces and placed your introduction post up.

Other than that, unless you're not logged in, you should be able to respond to any post you like. Could have been that the thread was closed due to one problem or another. I'm not sure.

Have any specifics on it? Maybe I can give it a try and help. Would love to offer ya any help ya need to find your stay enjoyable here, my friend.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sotaxme
reply to post by article

I tried to reply to a request from a forum member, but when I tried to send the reply I get a message that I must only reply to ATS. I am new to this site. How do I reply to a message request from a member?

Thx

Once you reach 20 posts you can respond to people in U2U messages.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Send me a message and we can discuss your request Redneck.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 01:22 AM
link   
removed
edit on 9.1.2023 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join