It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Creates Fire Extinguisher Made of Sound

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
it the air pressure the disguised the waves so essentially it is just like blowing on a fire. since sound is made from compressed waves of air sounds kind of a simple concept

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by article

Make coffee, if my "boss" told me to do it...... Murder. Yep, the same exact thing eh?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by definity

Why didn't you think of it first then, oh great one?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I wonder if they referred to any of the Nazi documents relating to the acoustic cannon they developed and prototyped?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
reply to post by burntheships

That is using the electrode method to disrupt the flames, not the speaker/sound extinguisher which is what I thought this thread was titled about?

I defer to DARPA on the comments as they authored ...
Speaker/ sound could be your car radio not equal to ionic wind.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
The manipulation of sound is a lost technology I'm sure of it. A buddy and I sacrificed a big speaker and some paste to create all sorts of shapes and fluculations of patterns one night. Very cool.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
This is cool at first but unless I am misunderstanding it, are they creating a sort of white noise to cancel out the fires frequency/vibration? Or are they putting it out more like almost a very surgically precise air blow?

Further I think if there was any sort of obstacle in the way this would be rendered useless. This would not be able to do anything for fires in an engine compartment or server rack or almost anywhere if there is even a piece of plywood or sheet metal in the way, right? Not like how a gas or vapor can get around those things and put the fire out still.

The idea of using it to improve fuel effeciency is cool, but would be a new way of creating a fuel are mixture, right? Like in a diesel engine?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Ive seen a similar effect using electrical currents.

The idea of acusticly enchanced flame weapons sounds pretty cool. Or more importantly using the same princicples you could ignite water with a correct collection of frequencies.

or what about using soundwaves to disrupt electrical conduction.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by definity

Why didn't you think of it first then, oh great one?

hey buddy... Your own rules apply here, also. Doesnt it?

Your Rules On Quoting

I mean, I almost couldnt figure out where the responce came from.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Crap, they stole my idea!

Well, kinda... I started there... and then quickly shifted gears into a vortex cannon powered by combustion and propelling/carrying a load of carbon dioxide and other gases to extinguish fires. O well... I still think my idea can be more easily developed, and would be cooler.(no pun intended)

Don't understand what I'm talking about...

But more or less, a smaller version that can be held, fueled by tanks that are carried on the backs of fire fighters...

If anybody is interested in the specifics of my design, and think that they can contribute... private message me...

Here's another fun video, which somewhat demonstrates what I'm talking about:

edit on 14-7-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: additional comment

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
That is pretty cool i can just imagine helicopters flying over all those wild fires with speakers attached to them

Imagine firefights with a 'gun' type device that can focus the direction right at the source.

reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

That first video is awesome! never seen something like that.

edit on 14-7-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Of course, there is the flip side; the data accumulated
can be used to increase the efficiency of combustion.

I guess that could be used to make combustion engines more effective?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
There are so many things you can do with sound that it's unbelievable. Shattering metal, ice, and solid objects (Which includes you), to life saving techniques, to prevention of all kinds.

Which is why it's a double-edged sword, if you can put out a fire with sound then you can most likely start it with sound.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomCommander

And of course, you can create sound with fire:

There is no speaker- the sound comes from the rapid air pressure disturbances in the candle flame itself, controlled by a high voltage current modulated with an audio signal and passing through the fire plasma.

The concept of extinguishing a flame with sound is not new.

In 1857, Irish scientist John Tyndall discovered that he could extinguish a candle flame with his voice. This was possible because sound waves are created from the energy of vibrating objects.
www.ehow.com...

But you're going to have trouble trying to start a fire with sound.

edit on 7/14/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
That is cool, but is it safe to use around humans, or on a buildings structure no less ?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I told my husband about this wonderful new Darpa invention. He told me he saw an item from Bose on one of the shopping channels that kind of did the same thing. He said they used tubes running from one of their radios to extenguish lit candles. He said Bose has had the item for a few years. What is Darpa doing?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join