It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trauma processing and how it is obstructed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is more of a "how I view things" than anything else. Given my being convinced that it doesn't require a psychology diploma to talk about these everyday human things, I will talk freely about a subject that I personally have experience with.

Let me paint the grim picture of a woman that was assaulted by a stranger. Imagine she was abused sexually and they can't find the man who did it.

She can't get peace of heart, to process the attack would be one thing, to process not knowing who did it is a completely different thing to accept.

This is where our current system comes in, where actual criminals still walk around free. Real crime goes unpunished, investigations most often turn into a dead end, and many cases go unsolved.

May I remind everyone of the irony when compared to how victimless-crimes are dealt with in a much more efficient manner? The amount of people in prison for weed alone, should be enough of an indicator.

I think the current system deliberately malfunctions when it comes to solving and punishing crimes. A simple comparison between different levels of crimes, from victimless to very severe, and their actual rate of success (when it comes to solving the case) and punishment should make this clear. Though it is not included in this OP, perhaps at a later period will I do more research on this to insert it here.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that of all the crimes, not only are the severe ones the worse to go unsolved, but sadly also the ones that actually ARE most unsolved... Whereas small time crimes are always punished and amply present. The easy go-to when in need of positive crime rates and statistics. Just imagine this; 1 severe case unsolved and 49 minor cases solved still only makes for 1/50 cases unsolved, and without the details sure looks like quite the success...

If it were the other way around, as in, they stopped bothering people for petty, victimless crimes, and started focusing on solving actual crimes, the victims of these crimes could possibly process what happened to them more easily. I think this is key in getting over what happened, in realizing it's something that happened in the past and should no longer affect you. I can only imagine what it would be like, but I can also imagine what it would be like when I know who did it to me, perhaps even why. What traps many people is NOT knowing why, not knowing who. They are often engulfed in mystery for the rest of their lives. The suspense might vanish with time, the real questions do not... "What really happened on 9/11?" for example. How can anyone completely process losing a loved one on a day that is covered in mystery and differing opinions, explanations? How can anyone accept the death of a loved one without knowing what really happened to them?

Nobody can give the answers to all the questions one might have. But the more pieces of the puzzle one gets, the clearer the total picture becomes. I wonder why governments even willfully obstruct this, why they would rid of important evidence and keep relatives of victims so long in the dark, and to create a world where nobody seems to agree on the subject. How can anyone process that? How can this in any way move on from being awkward, hard to swallow let alone fully comprehend it?
edit on 10/7/12 by ThisIsNotReality because: (no reason given)

new topics

join