It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IDair fingerprint scanner captures your print from 6 meters away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm not sure why this tech scare the hell out of me but it does.

The system takes a snapshot when triggered and uses pattern recognition to pick out the fingers. Edge detection and sharpening is used to virtually scan the fingerprint, which is then compared to the database. IDair’s current customers are military in nature, but one fitness chain is testing it as a way to stop the practice of keycard sharing.

www.geek.com...

Is there a chance to use wax or silicone finger print overlays to trick this system?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I think the writer messed things up a bit. IDair says 2 meters, which is about six feet.
I don't see the problem though. If you don't want to have your finger scanned just keep it in your pocket. Of course, if you do that you may have a problem if you need to get through the door.

idairco.com...
edit on 7/4/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I am sure there are ways to trick the system but would it be worth the effort for something like this?

Depending on what else it was being used for (the technology), and by who would make a difference in my opinion on this one.

edit on 7/5/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
It's for security reasons for gaining entry into buildings, instead of using a card you just wave your hand.

“Gaining access to your gym or office building could soon be as simple as waving a hand at the front door. A Hunsville, Ala.-based company called IDair is developing a system that can scan and identify a fingerprint from nearly 20 feet away. Coupled with other biometrics, it could soon allow security systems to grant or deny access from a distance, without requiring users to stop and scan a fingerprint, swipe an ID card, or otherwise lose a moment dealing with technology.

“Currently IDair’s primary customer is the military, but the startup wants to open up commercially to any business or enterprise that wants to put a layer of security between its facilities and the larger world. A gym chain is already beta testing the system (no more using your roommate’s gym ID to get in a free workout), and IDair’s founder says that at some point his technology could enable purchases to be made biometrically, using fingerprints and irises as unique identifiers rather than credit card numbers and data embedded in magnetic strips or RFID chips….”
Source

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
More about it Here

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I don't like it.
They want the population to get in on this fingerprinting biometrics data collecting and come up with this scheme of introducing it for the purpose of getting into secured buildings where many will comply.

The "enrollment", as they call it requires a fingerprint from the index finger of both hands " in case one is occupied or injured".

Once this becomes the norm there is no more roaming freely. You would never know if your hand flashed in front of one of these devices, triggering an alarm at some agency, having your whereabouts tracked from one location to the next. Aside from committing a crime, there are other scenarios where one might need to evade capture.

Idair is affiliated with MorphoTrak a SAFRAN company, and MorphoTrak has acquired a great deal of contracts with military and law enforcements around the world. They would be connected into the same database if it's the same company, even thought they claim they don't share any info.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

just keep your hands in your pockets or wear muffins or put superglue on your finger tips or gloves or silver foil or clench your fists or hold apples in each hand.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I guess amputees are screwed then. Really I don't mind the extra minute or two to dig out a card or keychain tab. What I do mind is having my unique physical traits used in such a way to gain access to a building or to buy merchandise. I find it repugnant in a way I can't really articulate. It just seems invasive. I understand it might cut down on theft and identity theft. But that's the way they try to get us to accept all of this junk...prey on our fears..be it the fears of the individual or the corporate heads. Watch out for the terrorists, here let us scan you or pat you down and make you remove medical devices...to keep you safe. Let us run this scanning beam across your iris so we can all breathe a sigh of relief it's really you and keep our assets safe.

I guess I'm just a grouchy old fart. I don't like this. Get off my lawn and off my fingerprints, you whippersnappers!
edit on 5-7-2012 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Agree totally.
They play the terror card for every new rule they want to establish.

We all know what started it.

They want every bit of data they can get on everyone, the irises, facial recognition, fingerprints, etc.

It's so invasive. Privacy is soon to be a lost right. Theyll find some way to abolish all privacy laws.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

A lil late no?

Anyway... I'm not sure I like this tech either... It may be simplistic now but it will be refined... My beef is it's just another tool to try and follow my business... We shouldn't have to be bothered so much when we go about our lives. Airports, check points, our children are searched going to school...

And the worst part is (and it;s laughable really) is that it isn't big brother we should blame. It is us. We tie so much red tape around parents and school's hands that they can hardly employ discipline. We have lost any moral compass we once had.

The world has let society degrade to a point that resembles the fall of all great empires in recorded history. Only this time it isn't just an empire, it's the entire world thats burning. Big brother and it's new no privacy policies are just mostly the result of a culmination of rediculous events leaving people begging them for safety and safety nets.

We at face are a society of scumbags raising a new generation of self-righteous know it alls, beggers, and out right lazy ass whiners with an entitlement complex.

That concludes my rant for today.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Hehe, well now that one reporter has it all wrong, it will spread like wildfire and become the new mind control thing.

Touchless finger scanners. You kinda still need to put your finger in a position to be read. It's not going to read you at a distance and somehow magickally detect your finger prints.

Like a touchless hand dryer. If you don't put your hands near it, it's not going to be whizzing on and blowing hot air at you, much like the article in the op

No touching.. not secretive scanning.
edit on 5-7-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

I'm always suspicious when they come up with reasons to take biometric or biological samples for reasons that aren't necessary. Some employers here use fingerprint scanners for their employees to "clock on" at work. And the employer doesn't keep the data - some third party does!

I've also had plenty or urine drug tests where the person screens the sample and then disposes it right in front of me. I have no problem with that. Then one day, everyone was called in for a random test and suddenly, they want to take all the samples back to their laboratory to test them! I asked why they were doing it, and was asked if I had something to hide. I said "no, that's why I want you to screen it right now!".

I'm convinced that all this data ends up in the possession of a small group of rich men who use it for reasons they know people wouldn't agree to.

new topics

top topics

join