It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report describes brutal torture in Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Istanbul (CNN) -- "Basat al reeh." "Dulab." "Falaqa." They are Arabic names for torture techniques that send chills through the hearts of Syrians, particularly the untold thousands who are believed to have been detained during the uprising of the last 15 months. "We suffered torture all the time," said Tariq, an opposition activist from the port city of Latakia who spent 40 days in solitary confinement in spring 2011. He told CNN he endured "dulab," in which torturers force the prisoner's legs and head into a car tire before beating them, and "basat al reeh," in which the prisoner is tied to a board and beaten.

The article says that around 25,000 people are being held in these torture camps and 200 people have defected due to torture practices.

"They electrocuted me on my stomach, with a prod. I fell unconscious," said Hossam, a 13-year-old boy who told Human Rights Watch he was detained in the town of Tal Kalakh in May 2011. "When they interrogated me the second time, they beat me and electrocuted me again.

"The third time, they had some pliers and they pulled out my toenail. They said, 'Remember this saying, always keep it in mind: We take both kids and adults, and we killed them both.' I started to cry, and they returned me to the cell."

Now, I know the USA hasn't been the poster child for fair treatment, but I have never read where we have tortured children.

Do you think this is being reported by the MSM to rally support to invade?

www.cnn.com...
edit on 3-7-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Why does this article seem fishy and somewhat down the road near propaganda lane.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317
Now, I know the USA hasn't been the poster child for fair treatment, but I have never read where we have tortured children.

We have to start somewhere..you can start from here

Kids sodomized at Abu Ghraib, Pentagon has the videos - Hersh

Tortu re, killing, children shot – and how the US tried to keep it all quiet

Obviously the video and the photos have never been revealed similarly like in Syrian case..so we can just speculate based on media reports.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Based on more than 200 interviews with former detainees, including women and children, and defectors from the Syrian military and intelligence agencies, this report focuses on 27 of these detention facilities. For each facility, most of them with cells and torture chambers and one or several underground floors, we provide the exact location, identify the agencies responsible for operating them, document the type of ill-treatment and torture used, and name, to the extent possible, the individuals running them. The facilities included in this report are those for which multiple witnesses have indicated the same location and provided detailed descriptions about the use of torture. The actual number of such facilities is likely much higher.

Human Rights Watch Source

one quoted example,

They forced me to undress. Then they started squeezing my fingers with pliers. They put staples in my fingers, chest, and ears. I was only allowed to take them out if I spoke. The nails in the ears were the most painful. They used two wires hooked up to a car battery to give me electric shocks. They used electric stun-guns on my genitals twice. I thought I would never see my family again. They tortured me like this three times over three days.

Human Rights Watch has every facility named, located, and lists the authorities in charge. There is a map of all the places.

In the vast majority of detention cases documented by Human Rights Watch, family members could obtain no information about the fate or whereabouts of the detainees and detainees were not allowed any contact with the outside world. Many of the detentions can therefore be qualified as enforced disappearances.

Totalitarianism, where you disapear in the night. There is no qualifying comparison to the US or any Western nation. We fear no knock at the door in the middle of the night to have relatives "disapear" with no contact ever again.

new topics

top topics

join