It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Dec, 21, 2012 True?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I've alway been interested in ancient cultures, I used to be as a kid, liking to hear stories of ancient stories about the Greeks , Romans, and Egyptians, and then sould've loved to been an archeologists, why I decided not to pursue it, I don't know. Maybe I should've. I believe the past can teach us many things about the present and perhaps the future.

Well according to this article on phys. org. Now I've heard of tablets I believe that said that Dec 21, was the wrong date that the world would end much later, then what everyone thought. So, as to when its still up in the air.

So here's the question Dec 21, 2012 the end of the world do you believe, if you do why?

phys.org

“This text talks about ancient political history rather than prophecy,” says Marcello A. Canuto, Director of Tulane’s Middle American Research Institute and co-director of the excavations at the Maya ruins of La Corona. “This new evidence suggests that the 13 Bak’tun date was an important calendrical event that would have been celebrated by the ancient Maya; however, they make no apocalyptic prophecies whatsoever regarding the date," says Canuto.La Corona for many decades has been known as the enigmatic “Site Q,” the source of many looted sculptures whose whereabouts had remained a mystery until its rediscovery only fifteen years ago. For the past five years, Marcello A. Canuto and Tomás Barrientos Q. (Director of the Centro de Investigaciones Arqueológicas y Antropológicas at Universidad del Valle de Guatemala) have directed the La Corona Regional Archaeological Project (PRALC) which has been investigating this intriguing Classic Maya city and its jungle environs.

Another entirely unexpected discovery was made on another stairway block bearing 56 delicately carved hieroglyphs. Stuart recognized that it commemorated a royal visit to La Corona in AD 696 by the most powerful Maya ruler of that time, Yuknoom Yich’aak K’ahk’ of Calakmul (located in modern Campeche, Mexico), also known as Fire Claw or Jaguar Paw. Calakmul had been an immensely powerful kingdom for centuries until its king was defeated in battle by his longstanding rival Tikal (located in modern Peten, Guatemala) on August 3, 695. “Scholars had assumed that the Calakmul king died or was captured in this engagement” says Stuart, “but this new extraordinary text from La Corona text tells us otherwise.”

edit on 30-6-2012 by 1loserel2 because: add

edit on 30-6-2012 by 1loserel2 because: forgot to add section

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
No, I don't think the 'world is going to end' this year. I think the solar maximum we are entering is going to cause major worldwide technology collapse.

So .. yeah actually I guess you're about right.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

Did you read your own source? It says very clearly, and leads very clearly to the conclusion, that the date in question has a basis in ancient local politics, and has nothing to do with the end of anything. I mean--did you read your own source?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Thanks for bringing to my attention, yes I did read the source but it appears not thoroughly enough
So, I went back for another read. I stand corrected. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

Sorry if I sounded harsh. Those things happen...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I don't really believe in this anymore. In my school there was lots of people who highly believed in this now they don't give a crap. Still there is supposed to be a solar storm on the date but no harm it only takes out power (don't know how long). Next thing is Nibru. To be honest with you i cant believe people still believe in this Nibru crap. It was scary in between 2008-2010 but kinda stopped in 2011. Then a movie came out called 2012. When it came out people did get a little scared. To the Mayan Calendar. Modern Mayans today say it isn't the end but a new beginning and not the end. Well look back then to now. If you think of it , it is impossible to predict the future of mankind even if you are a good astronomer back then. You could these days because all of the tech we have. We now know our sun dies in about 5 billion years well that's the theory. THE END

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
With all the word of impending or strengthening, more occurring natural disaster, or the obsession with such, solar weather coming perhaps, weather records broken during winter/summer, fear of methane release and climate changes (whether natural or manmade), nuclear prowess, continued cultural social construct bending the minds of many, starvation, plague, waste and injustice, corrupt governments, silent secrecy and a general feeling of developing unrest - on a level many of us haven't seen in our lives, and that others haven't seen in quite some time. There have always been highs and lows with many aspects of Earth and our daily lives. What worries me is the state of the world, and all this technology taken from the Earth, which is to withstand our Mother Earth.

I don't know, but it seems the world in general is heading towards... something.

The end of Earth? No. A new frontier of sorts.

I do believe there is some sort of awakening happening, but I don't know where it will lead.

We're no longer in the 90s, and we're now in what was once "the future". The economy is crumbling, we've got seemingly evil, uptight, petty and careless politicians running the world with apparent banksters laundering all of the dirty money. One half are blind, overly optimistic and hellbent on words like "science", "conspiracy" and so on, whilst the other half are far too negative, paranoid and poisoning the punchbowl. I try to stay in the middle: aware.
edit on 30/6/12 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Sadly, we've become to dependent on technology. Wonder how people will react, if that happens?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

Yes, I wonder too.Where it will all lead to, something is happening, as to the end of the world, that I still have my doubts on that occassion.

For centuries now, people have been "predicting" the end of the world.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XxDrAgOnBoRnxX

I agree the Nibiru was just alot of hype although there appears to be attempts at bringing back the idea of Nibiru. I think people have wised up on this one, though.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxDrAgOnBoRnxX
I don't really believe in this anymore. In my school there was lots of people who highly believed in this now they don't give a crap. Still there is supposed to be a solar storm on the date but no harm it only takes out power (don't know how long). Next thing is Nibru. To be honest with you i cant believe people still believe in this Nibru crap. It was scary in between 2008-2010 but kinda stopped in 2011. Then a movie came out called 2012. When it came out people did get a little scared. To the Mayan Calendar. Modern Mayans today say it isn't the end but a new beginning and not the end. Well look back then to now. If you think of it , it is impossible to predict the future of mankind even if you are a good astronomer back then. You could these days because all of the tech we have. We now know our sun dies in about 5 billion years well that's the theory. THE END

I'm glad to hear you say these things. There are a lot of otherwise good minds out there wasting time on absurd nonsense theories. There are plenty of well-documented real conspiracies that they should be wasting their time on... er... investing their time in.

But seriously: There's a lot of real S*** that's already hit the F**, and I think it would be good to have some of those creative minds helping to look at the real conspiracies and looking for solutions....

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Nothing will be any different on the 22nd. SSDD.

Of course, when nothing happens, there will be a flurry of "we recalculated and it's now [date]" sort of like that Christian apocalypse guy.

edit to add: How do you know the thing won't be something good that changes everything instead of an apocalypse? Hell, maybe Obama will be so worried about re-election he'll release that Bussard fusion reactor from Naval Weapons.

"Look, the energy crisis is solved! And I did it!"
edit on 30-6-2012 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The calendar is made up they don't even know what it really is. Its all BS get over it....

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
everyone who believes it is real paypal me your money effective 12/20/12

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
December 21 will happen...and then the next day, the Sun will rise again.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine ownself be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell: my blessing season this in thee!"
--Lord Polonius, Hamlet Act I, Scene 3

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

I don't think there will be end of the world thing, unless TPTB use HAARP or something like it to create it. But on the other hand really wicked weather last night for alot of people and now faced without electricity to cool off from heat wave. Kind makes you wan, to go Hmmm doesn't it?

I like your idea, now maybe time to open a paypal account, and see what happens.
Trouble is won't they be looking for us both on Dec.22, 2012?

edit on 1-7-2012 by 1loserel2 because: add

edit on 1-7-2012 by 1loserel2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join