It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKTHROUGH: Scientists Invent Particles That Will Let You Live Without Breathing

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
wow, flag + star!

I'm curious as to how long this makes the person stay alive. . . it states only for 20-30 minutes but then it says it can keep them alive longer... however, it's very interesting

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This is a bit of a tricky one. If I was in the situation where i couldn't breath i would want it. But another side of me thinks well when you can't breath that is natures way of telling you it is over, right? It keeps the population down and the circle of life continues. I do not believe we are overpopulated right now but imagine if every single ailment or cause of death was eradicated bar old age of course, then we would soon become overpopulated and the resources stretched to the point where they would start to control how many children you can have or perhaps even having to cull some of us! lol..

It's a tough one! I do not believe people should be left to die, but we do have to think about the possibility of becoming overpopulated.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Would love to see how fast this goes in the dark, the after effects of it, and the "real" human trails. Testing it on animals wouldn't neccesarily make it safe. Major differences.

I see it says they tested it on themselves. How many times?

Keeping an open mind here, but this could backfire. It sounds to good to be true.

By the way, 90% of the people that click this thread will get the
wrong idea from the title.

edit on 30-6-2012 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Hmmmm I wonder if I could go scuba diving now, without wearing the breathing mask....Just a tank full of these particles, and an IV going into my arm!

Ok...so I'm not sure how that would be more practical....but it would be incredibly cool!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
This story has taken my breath away

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

Hmmmm I wonder if I could go scuba diving now, without wearing the breathing mask....Just a tank full of these particles, and an IV going into my arm!

Ok...so I'm not sure how that would be more practical....but it would be incredibly cool!

Doesn't work that way.

Technically speaking you won't be "breathing" anyway.

This is only if your on the verge of death. Now if you want to be a human test subject, we have an opening...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
This is a bit of a tricky one. If I was in the situation where i couldn't breath i would want it. But another side of me thinks well when you can't breath that is natures way of telling you it is over, right? It keeps the population down and the circle of life continues. I do not believe we are overpopulated right now but imagine if every single ailment or cause of death was eradicated bar old age of course, then we would soon become overpopulated and the resources stretched to the point where they would start to control how many children you can have or perhaps even having to cull some of us! lol..

It's a tough one! I do not believe people should be left to die, but we do have to think about the possibility of becoming overpopulated.

That doesn't really apply in today's world...

Cars aren't natural; We made them, and many countless people die because of cars (one way or another); This "oxygen liquid" stuff should be in everyone's glove box!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I would think that if this were being used on a person who wasn't in respiratory distress, some type of cardiac monitor would have to be in place to monitor the persons heart rate.

If they began a strenuous activity, the need for oxigen absorbtion would increase dramatically, and therefore the amount of particles needed would increase accordingly. I'd hate to be the willing test subject for the trials to calibrate such a distribution device.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
This almost brings tears to my eyes.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

You naturally exhange gasses from your blood in your lungs, pretty much the only way to get it out naturally. I can't think of a safe method that wouldn't over whelm another vital organ in the process. Injecting a substance to capture the CO2, would require some organ or another technology to remove that particle. The more you mess with the fine tuned balance of the human body the more risks you have, and considered the potential harm too much CO2 in the body can have, keeping it in any longer than it takes for your lungs to take it out isn't a good idea. This is a great short term solution, that will save many lives in an emergency situation, unfortunately The amount and rate at which our bodies need oxygen, and produce by products may limit the exclusions of lungs any time soon.

During a respiratory failure, or lung transplant this is a remarkable tool, how ever outside of that it may not see much use. Our lungs are more efficient than this particle anyhow, and 30 minutes of oxygen to keep us alive, probably wouldn't be enough in any alert, active state. It just doesn't make logical sense to take a shot and try to work in an environment with out oxygen, you would naturally try to breath and may in fact panic, if you did not. The excess CO2 in the blood stream after the oxygen is worn off would likely cause unpleasant side effects I'm sure there may well be other limitations to the use of this substance, the most obvious being CO2 created by our bodies, no lungs no relief. Though it may be safe in the presence of trained medical professionals, every individual requires different amounts of oxygen, at different rates, and the risk for taking more than the safe dose may be too great for this to be a self administered medication.

Still fascinating none the less.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
One thing confuses me... So you inject this liquid into the blood stream and oxygen is supplied to the body. BUT, if your heart is not beating, there wouldn't be a blood flow. So how is the whole body oxygenated?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
This is great news!

I see this being used for asthma patients eventually. These are the break throughs we should be focused on, not developing the next plastic surgery procedure, or weight loss drug.

Now we just have to make a system where sick people can get this treatment regardless of their financial status.
Make it affordable!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Surely that evil dead, Dick Cheney, has been using this technology to animate his shambolic corpse to do his zionist duties?

edit on 30-6-2012 by Ilovecatbinlady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
The first thing I thought of was the misuse of this breakthrough in aerobic sports. But, I don't know if it will increase the amount of oxygen in the bloodstream if it is already at baseline levels. I remember reading about a drug for a specific organ deficiency of some sort that increased oxygen levels in the bloodstream, and athletes were using it to gain an edge in sports like track, or sprinting, and basically any other sport where increased oxygen in the bloodstream will increase performance.

This is good from a medical standpoint, as the amount of lives that are saved after acute respiratory failure will likely increase.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rivetlikewhoa
reply to post by Dreamer99

Couldn't you release the CO2 the same way you do now? I think the only reason there is CO2 build up is because the experiments are being done on animals that are in respiratory failure.

So you would still exhale the CO2 you just wouldn't need to inhale any new oxygen.

dude , you cant exhale without having firstly inhaled .

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I wonder if we could create a short lived algie that could gobble up the CO2 in the bloodstream? I know the CO2 still has to be released, but...hmm...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I think people are over reading into this item, its purely for very sick people who have stopped breathing.

Its effects on an alert breathing person would be nil, imagine falling into a pool and not being able to swim, simply injecting this would not allow you to breathe in any form, the second the brain is unable to do the normal voluntary breathing system and it ingests water you drown, holding your breath would also not help as the brain wants to be able to breathe normally so eventually would swallow or breathe the water.

BUT, once you have drowned and are removed from the pool and the water ejected from the lungs this gas would give those vital minutes of oxygenated blood to the brain and other organs.

Its not an Abyss clone..

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

WOW! Just wow!
Imagine the potential uses for tech like this!

[/quote

the baltic sea ufo/rock/ship/thing would be a lot easier and quicker to investigate lol.
people with lung disease and respiratory problems would really benefit.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
WOW!! Just......WOW!! You do realise on short dives this new found way of oxygenating the blood completely does away the need for decompression, and allows divers to go to greater depths as their is no oxygen in the lungs to weigh drastically on the body when going down deeper atmospheres? I think I'm right in stating that anyway... and apparently you can survive for a mi'nute amount of time in space as well before the oxygen in your lungs fly apart, imagine having to dive from one opening to another in space as the air is rushig out, your outside in "freefall" as it where foor 1 - 2 seconds, apparenty you can theoretically do this if you let all the oxygen out of your lungs, but I doubt anyone has tested that theory yet!! lol! (I know I wouldnt hedge my bets on it being theoretically possible if asked to test it!) but maybe this new thing could extend that period for up to , say maybe i dont know.... 5 seconds? then you have the problem of flash freezing... but exciting stuff!! loads of potential applicationns for this, I think in the next ten years we are going to see more and more ground breaking and astounding medical, and other forms of tech-/knowledge and stuff come out in to the light!!
edit on 30-6-2012 by DARREN1976 because: snoozel toozel's!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

Simple answer, no.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join