It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British female journalist, 22, describes horrific sexual assault in Egypt's Tahrir Sq

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Yea but not all cultures and or religions believe its ok to rape a woman if she doesnt cover her face AND then have laws that punish the woman (sometimes very severly) for being raped

edit on 27-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

womens human rights are always in a more "immediate" danger than any other sex or creed imho.
Many still view women as the weaker sex in all aspects. Therefore less prominent and useful in apsects of life(besides makin babies as some would say)

It seems like no effort is being made to educate the next generation on the woman's importance in all parts of society.Likewise sexual education is/was/annd continues to be small filler in a curriculum that is taught ambiguously as possible.
The prominent female figures our children could be learning about in school, are brushed aside in favor of their male counterparts

Mainstream music and television dont help matters any."Scornful woman" is a standard bearer for female roles in movies/tv.
Meanwhile there is still a disturbing problem in rap/hiphop, with women being referenced as "ho"trick"bish"and in the form of an object.

edit on 27-6-2012 by truthseeker808 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker808

Meanwhile there is still a disturbing problem in rap/hiphop, with women being referenced as "ho"trick"bish"and in the form of an object.

I have a personal opinion about this trend and what I see coming, guess I will keep it to myself though.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker808
womens human rights are always in a more "immediate" danger than any other sex or creed imho.

Any OTHER sex??

How many are there?

Care to enlighten me?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I know there are pockets of Africa where rape-culture is endemic... I was wondering if these recent situations were stemming from the instability in the country, or if this is a "normal" part of Egyptian society even before the revolution.

From the minimal google research I just did it seems like it IS more about cultural attitudes than loss of law and order.

I found a You-Tube of a gang-rape in Cairo, not gonna post it. I couldn't watch it, had my speakers up and that was enough... there are many, many more videos like it. This is nausea-inducing, but I'm not going to flip out just yet, I'm sure I could find vids that were filmed in the USA or England that are similar.

From a NY Time Article:

A 2008 study of the Egyptian Center for Women’s Rights, a nongovernmental group, found that 83 percent of Egyptian women reported sexual harassment, and 62 percent of Egyptian men admitted that they had harassed women.

In the 2008 survey by the women’s center, 53 percent of Egyptian men said that harassed women “bring it on.” Recently, a female member of the Muslim Brotherhood movement suggested that women should change their dress, banning tight, sleeveless and short clothes. A separation of women and men would also help, she suggested.

“This is ridiculous,” said Ms. Ezzat, who wears a veil, wide blouses and long skirts or trousers. “It is not a question of clothes, because many of the harassed women are wearing a veil, and it is also not a question of religion or religiosity,” she said — harassers come from all neighborhoods; they are Muslims and Coptic Christians.

Women in Egypt Face Serious Harassment

Admission of Forced Virginity Tests

I'm sure if I dug deeper I could find more. (These were just the first page of my google search!) Here I was gearing up to play Devil's Advocate. Verbal harassment is common in US cities, take a walk around and if you're moderately attractive you get hollered at. Rapes happen here, too, after all! But I think this goes deeper than a few reported cases. It's a common problem for Egyptian women. I'm obviously no expert, but I would agree with Ms. Ezzat (interviewed for the NY Times article) that this isn't really a religious issue, it's more how their culture views and values women.

To end my rant on a positive note, there are apparently more resources for abused women in Egypt than there were even ten years ago, and the media's eye is on them now with these recent publicized attacks. Too bad it took foreign journalists to bring it to our attention. But maybe this is the start of some positive changes?
edit on 27-6-2012 by Dontshootthemessanger because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-6-2012 by Dontshootthemessanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Women are not equal in any society, including western. The sooner we all realise this and force a change the better for all society.

Women aren't equal? I can't have sex with my boss and get a promotion. I can't have sex with a woman on tv for 15 minutes and get paid 50,000 bucks either. I see women in all branches of U.S. government, most nurses are women and a man cannot compete in the medical field near as well. Stow that b.s. because there's no truth in that versus western society. Men have gone to jail for women lying about being raped, you don't see women going to jail for men lying about being raped.

Case in point that kid in California who was sentanced to 10 years in prison and served 5 of those years until she spilled the beans to him about lying about the rape and then she said "lets just let bygones be bygones" because she didn't want to go to prison or have to repay the 1.5 million bucks she got for lying. So woman lies about beign raped and causes a guy to lose 5 years of his life and is then like "I just stole 5 years from your life so uh, can we just be friends?".

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Women aren't equal? I can't have sex with my boss and get a promotion. I can't have sex with a woman on tv for 15 minutes and get paid 50,000 bucks either. I see women in all branches of U.S. government, most nurses are women and a man cannot compete in the medical field near as well. Stow that b.s. because there's no truth in that versus western society. Men have gone to jail for women lying about being raped, you don't see women going to jail for men lying about being raped. Case in point that kid in California who was sentanced to 10 years in prison and served 5 of those years until she spilled the beans to him about lying about the rape and then she said "lets just let bygones be bygones" because she didn't want to go to prison or have to repay the 1.5 million bucks she got for lying. So woman lies about beign raped and causes a guy to lose 5 years of his life and is then like "I just stole 5 years from your life so uh, can we just be friends?".

Oh you haven't got a clue have you?

What are these ridiculous examples of women being "better off" all about? I literally cannot even be bothered to fully respond to them because they are that infantile and stupid.

Your hatred for women is clear. You need to reassess your views and have a real think about unequal pay, societal pressure on women to conform to what is their role and what beauty is, constant abuse from men(Your #ing bull# about a few cases of women lying about rape while not even mentioning the real abuse that goes on every day really indicates your ignorance), the use of religion to stigmatise and attack women in so many different ways.

What are you, a white male? We have the most advantageous position in the world, granted it is no bed of roses, but to try and make out women have an equal role with us let alone other ethnicity's is mental.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join