It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One man's restored faith in our youth . UK.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I heard this on the local radio and had to share this with you guys .

A grandad who fell outside a bank and saw his £1,000 in cash blow away in the wind was amazed when strangers returned almost every penny.

menmedia.co.uk... -all-back-to-man-who-lost-it

So many of our young people get a great deal of bad press these days, so it's nice to hear of something positive for a change.
I hope this makes you smile as much I did.

D.P.

edit on 19-6-2012 by dawnprince because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
That was amazing...thanks for sharing.
S&f

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It's a shame there are people out there who think this is significant or lucky. obviously if someone drops their money kids are going to pick it up and give it back

i cannot believe this made the news to be perfectly honest with you.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JailTales
It's a shame there are people out there who think this is significant or lucky. obviously if someone drops their money kids are going to pick it up and give it back

It is what it is.
The Money was blowing in the wind.
It might be normal behaviour in your little Utopia, but I can assure you this is not the norm in the real world and the old guy was lucky to have gotten back as much as he did . And that is why it made the news !!!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
When we had all the snow in the winter one of the roads leading out of town was so slippery (up hill) that cars were getting stuck. Who was it that rescued them????
It was the local youth, there were 3 groups of them, about four to each group and they were pushing the cars that got stuck.

One of those accasions when I was kicking myself for not having a camera because I know many of those who recieved help were the very same type that constantly blame everything on the youth.

Just because they wear a hoody it does not make them bad

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Hi VH.
Great story and I totally agree . The press in the UK seem hell bent on giving our youth such a negative image .
I should imagine that similar stories happen across the world , but they never get a mention .

DP

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnprince
I should imagine that similar stories happen across the world , but they never get a mention .

Thats why I was kicking myself for not having the camera, if I had I'd have been straight on to the local paper.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

It is what it is.
It might be normal behaviour in your little Utopia, but I can assure you this is not the norm in the real world and the old guy was lucky to have gotten back as much as he did . And that is why it made the news !!!

I don't live in a Utopia. I live in the real world, I'm assuming you live in the "I read too much Daily Mail and I'm scared of people with hoods" world

where are you from? must be the south, probably London i'd guess

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

It is what it is.

I don't live in a Utopia. I live in the real world, I'm assuming you live in the "I read too much Daily Mail and I'm scared of people with hoods" world

It's a difficult situation, because it depends on what you are exposed to in your own social group.
Think about the young people you deal with, whether it be at work, in the street, family or friends. The people you choose to have in your life are going to be ones you respect and want to know.

On the other side of it, when you consider all the youth you see that you don't know, how many of them would you REALLY want to know? That kid shouting abuse at someone in the street, or the one with his jeans half way down his ass, you wouldn't particularly want to know them, would you?

There is most definitely a problem with the youth in this country. Far too many of them seem to think that the world owes them something, that they deserve everything for nothing and they'll take it if it's not given to them. This is a mix of atrocious parenting and a massively out of control consumerist society where greed is promoted.

That is why it is great to see stories like this.

And no, I'm not a Mail reader, I don't read any tabloid trash. I just live in the real world on a housing estate where roaming thugs giving people attitude is a daily occurrence.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
When we had all the snow in the winter one of the roads leading out of town was so slippery (up hill) that cars were getting stuck. Who was it that rescued them????
It was the local youth, there were 3 groups of them, about four to each group and they were pushing the cars that got stuck.

One of those accasions when I was kicking myself for not having a camera because I know many of those who recieved help were the very same type that constantly blame everything on the youth.

Just because they wear a hoody it does not make them bad

This should get a thousand stars. You are indeed right. Just because they wear a hoodie, it doesn't make them bad. There are children out there who are a bit ragged but that's most likely because their family network has failed them to one degree or another. (live with me for a couple of months and i'd soon sort them out - constructively, let them see that they are actually in control of their lives but that has its responsibilities).

The story in the OP is commendable but lets be honest, all the children on my street would help that old man, its the parents who would probably keep the damn money!!!!

Well done kids!
edit on 20/6/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

It is what it is.

Wrong on all counts .
I live in the area where this happened and my world is very real , granddad.
Your powers of observation musnt be up to much , because in the original post I stated I heard this story on the local radio . Go back and take a look at the link . How long has the Manchester Evening News been down south ???
Should have gone to Specsavers

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

"Kids" weren't involved . The report quite clearly states youths and adults up to 25 years of age .

You go to the middle of any busy town and toss a grand into the air and see how much you get back . Probably not even your bus fare .

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

"Kids" weren't involved . The report quite clearly states youths and adults up to 25 years of age .

You go to the middle of any busy town and toss a grand into the air and see how much you get back . Probably not even your bus fare .

Yes but he didn't go into the town and toss it in the air did he? He fell over leaving the bank. In my humble opinion, i personally think that people have far more compassion that people believe and i strongly feel that most youths would have helped him.

There will always be a select few who wouldn't but i genuinely think most would.

ETA: Youths, in my dictionary are children!
edit on 20/6/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

ETA: Youths, in my dictionary are children!

If you refer to youths as " Children " then you are part of the problem with society and not the solution.
I suggest you take some attitude adjustment .
If I was 19 -25 years old , I would be pretty peeved at you refering to me as a child .

Youths are young adults !!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Look people .
I posted this because it was a nice story and it made me smile . Nothing more .
Nowhere in this thread have I painted our youth in a bad light , so get off your high horses and take a chill pill .

Geez

edit on 20-6-2012 by dawnprince because: (no reason given)

top topics

join