It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chip-based human organs to revolutionize drug development!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The Video is on their website, I can't find it on Youtube or embed it from their video player, if anyone can help, that would be great!

June 10 - Researchers at Harvard's Wyss Institute are developing microchips comprising the cells and functionality of human organs. These organs-on-a-chip represent an advance that could prove revolutionary for pharmaceutical companies who spend billions of dollars testing new drugs in controversial - and often ineffective - animal trials. Ben Gruber reports.

Reuters
So, Kinda cool but could have some implications,

Firstly, these chips were primarily designed to allow for testing of news drugs and therapy's not on organs without using animals to test. Thats good! Peta will be happy

The 'organs' actually contain real human cells! For example, In the video they describe a 'lung' chips that contains real Human capillary cells and lung cells. The chip mimics the flexing of the lungs when breathing.

Pretty interesting stuff and I wonder what it will lead to in the future... All I can keep thinking of after reading this article is 'Repo Men'!! It is possible in the future, especially if we have advanced this far!

Thoughts!?!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
When I saw the title of this thread all I thought was "Damn, Repo Men is coming to life".

new topics

join