It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's Wuhan city covered in mysterious haze

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'm not quite sure what is going on here, but apparently there is a "grey-yellow haze" over the city of Wuhan. No one really seems to know what it is, however some speculate that it might just simply be smog or smoke from the burning of crops.

he official Xinhua news agency quoted the environmental protection department of Hubei province saying in a statement: "Children, the elderly and people with heart or respiratory diseases are advised to stay indoors." Xinhua said straw burning was the cause and denied there had been any industrial accidents in or near Wuhan, after Internet rumours suggested there had been an explosion at a chemical complex northeast of the city. "I looked out of the window of my office and I could not believe my eyes," said resident Li Yunzhong. "At first I thought it was going to rain. In 31 years in Wuhan I have never known anything like it. We are very worried because we do not know what it is."

Air-quality monitoring showed Wuhan's PM10 particulate concentration stood at 0.574 mg per cubic metre at 2:00 pm, more than triple the daily average of 0.150 mg, Xinhua reported. [Related: What's in the air you're breathing?] But it quoted the environmental protection department saying industrial accidents were not responsible and analysis showed an increase in carbon particles from burning organic matter. "Many farmers choose to burn crops that are left behind in their fields after harvesting," Xinhua said. But Li was sceptical. "I doubt that," he said. "We don't practise large-scale shifting agriculture in our region." Another resident told AFP she was leaving the city because of the cloud.

I thought I would share and see what everyone else's thoughts are on this situation. I am here in the southeastern United states, and there have been several days that have been hazy and such, but there have been massive wildfires in this area, so, I don't think this is the same thing.
edit on 11-6-2012 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

My apologies, here is the link...news.yahoo.com...

Also, I believe it could be heavy pollution as well, but the people say they have never seen it like this before.
edit on 11-6-2012 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
China is the #1 most polluted country, I think that should be your clue.

But if they can't figure it out, then uh oh!

Edit: Can you provide a link?
edit on 11-6-2012 by chrismicha77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

My thoughts exactly.

Here's a link to the story on Yahoo: Linky

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think this statement is alarming.

Air pollution is increasingly acute in major Chinese cities and authorities are frequently accused of underestimating the severity of the problem in urban areas, especially in Beijing.

Air-quality monitoring showed Wuhan's PM10 particulate concentration stood at 0.574 mg per cubic metre at 2:00 pm, more than triple the daily average of 0.150 mg, Xinhua reported.

And we wonder why there's so many health issues.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

thank you for giving the link, I initially forgot to put in in there
but did so now. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I agree with you 100% on that one. I believe it is pollution as well. It just seems strange that some of the people have never seen it quite like that or that bad. Perhaps its been that way for quite awhile and people have just now noticed it because they are too busy with thier own lives. Nevertheless, it is quite alarming that it has gotten this bad in China.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'd say it's probably nuclear fallout from Fukushima, personally.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1

I agree with you 100% on that one. I believe it is pollution as well. It just seems strange that some of the people have never seen it quite like that or that bad. Perhaps its been that way for quite awhile and people have just now noticed it because they are too busy with thier own lives. Nevertheless, it is quite alarming that it has gotten this bad in China.

Yeah I read that too, but it may just be the perfect atmospheric conditions, that have allowed the haze to lower that far down. Or it could be a mixture of different pollutants/smoke that have caused this particular color.

As far as it being nuclear fallout, I'm going to say 'no', but I'm no expert.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Bless them they're trying so hard there nearly killing of the people in these densely populated citys with what should be illegal levels of pollution, i feel sorry for anybody living in a major Chinese city, they wont live very long at all in those chimney conditions

I guess China will also just keep ignoring the calls for it to cut backs on its green house emissions to

top topics

join