It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What THEY think.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Hi guys,

I was just looking for a recipe when I found this blog, and came across this photograph.

(Sorry, not sure how to put the image in the thread, new ATS and all.)

Source

The author of the thread just took the photo straight off the newspaper.
The two that stood out to me are-

75% of year six students think that COTTON COMES FROM AN ANIMAL!
27% of year six students think that yoghurt comes from a plant.

What is wrong here?

edit on 7-6-2012 by Tripple_Helix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
The author of the thread just took the photo straight off the newspaper.

The actual article was from the Sydney Morning Herald.

edit on 7-6-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

A national survey of year 6 and 10 students by the Australian Council for Educational Research found yawning gaps in young people's knowledge of basic food origins.

Primary Industries Education Foundation contracted ACER to design and conduct a baseline survey of students and teachers to find out what they know about primary industries in Australia, focusing on where food and fibre products come from.
The survey was conducted from June to October 2011 and involved the participation of 213 Grade 6 students, 687 Grade 10 students and 53 teachers from 71 schools.

The full report can be found in a pdf file here.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Edit- thanks for the link... reading it now.

Truly astounding.
edit on 7-6-2012 by Tripple_Helix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
The public school system and lazy parents are what is wrong here.

I saw issues with the (our's at least) public education system when I was in it decades ago. Now I see it has snowballed since my daughter has been it.

A lot of teachers have given up. Whether it is from laziness or from fear of having a parent come to school in a rage because their child got called out for being an idiot in class, or being made to do something he/she didn't want to do. A lot of the ones that do care, have their hands tied.

Add those same parents to the mix that are either too young to have children and don't take care of them, don't make time to see if their child is learning what they should be, or are just flat out lazy/uncaring and consider it all "somebody else's job" and this is what you wind up with.

It is not the public education school system's job to make sure your child has common sense or to teach EVERY thing under the sun from A to Z.

The old saying that it takes a village to raise a child didn't come into being accidentally.
It is always sad to see children who have been ripped of a decent education for what ever reason.
edit on 6/7/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Whats wrong with being involved in a school vegetable garden?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Nothing at all.

I think they mean that even when kids are involved in things like growing vegetable gardens, or living on farms, they still do not pay attention and fail to realize where their food comes from.

But more than half of the year 6 students had been involved in a school vegetable garden and 16 per cent had visited or stayed at a farm through their school.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Hi,

Thanks for posting. I just don't understand how something like this could happen. And it is not the fault of the teachers. Children are supposed to learn these things at home, even before they go to school.

When I was small, I knew that milk came from a cow, and that cheese and yoghurt & butter came from milk.

I mean come on, what parent doesn't teach their child basic food knowledge?!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Was this study done using special ed kids

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Tripple_Helix

edit on 7-6-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Hi,

Thanks for posting. I just don't understand how something like this could happen. And it is not the fault of the teachers. Children are supposed to learn these things at home, even before they go to school.

When I was small, I knew that milk came from a cow, and that cheese and yoghurt & butter came from milk.

I mean come on, what parent doesn't teach their child basic food knowledge?!

You've got me. I see it more and more frequently though. It is a disturbing trend that I can only hope is not massively widespread.

Originally posted by dayve
Was this study done using special ed kids

No. It was done on kids with special ed parents...
edit on 6/7/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Year 6 is about 12 or so, right? If that's the case, then I would just say that it's simply children being silly, ignorant children in a society that puts more stock in knowing how to use Microsoft Word than knowing basic things like where cotton comes from.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

reply to post by alfa1

Edit- thanks for the link... reading it now.

Truly astounding.

If there is one thing I have learned, it is never to be surprised, by the magnitude of human superficiality, ignorance, or stupidity.

new topics

top topics

join