It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Backpack, What To Put In It?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bishbop09

It sounds like a good list of items youre getting together, but i got to ask whats with the 30mv green laser pen, I know it's all about personel choice but i cant see what you would want it for.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I hear you guys talking about a "Bump Key". What the heck is that? A lock pick?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Go camp for a week with what you think you need.
Have everything your taking with you..in the pack. Take a notebook and write things that you could of used or needed, and adjust your packing to the list....keep in mind the 4 seasons and weather, because that might change your needs.
It will be different for everyone depending on your abilities and skill sets.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by BuggingWicked

It sounds like a good list of items youre getting together, but i got to ask whats with the 30mv green laser pen, I know it's all about personel choice but i cant see what you would want it for.

Wondering that myself.

All I can come up with is possibly signaling or amusing yourself in down time. Measuring extreme distances perhaps by timing reflection?

Maybe harvesting game by blinding the animal or giving it eye cancer and waiting a couple of years?

Maybe the OP knows something I dont? I'd like to learn.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Its a very bright green beam, I am thinking if I need to use it as a signal at all, if its to other people or to aircraft's, you never know what scenario you might be faced with.

Plus its a lot easier and cheaper then a flare gun and more reliable then a mirror to make signals

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 5pooky

Here is a video that should give you an idea:

video.google.com...

I am thinking if I need to gain access to a house without damaging it.
edit on 7-6-2012 by Bishbop09 because: Wrong Link

edit on 7-6-2012 by Bishbop09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I see what you mean with laser pen. I myself have a couple of flash lights one battery and the other is a wind up version.
Thanks for the vid on the bump key defo could come in handy, gonna have to make one, bit worried if the old bill stoped me and found it though, could be a difficult one to explain.
( whistle )

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

before randomly stocking a " survival backpack " it would be best to address what environment you expect to start from - and what your realistic expectations of doom are

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

roll of TP in a plastic bag - good more mny things other than the main purpose, kindling, bandage, etc.
Roll of duct tape
Some zip ties
550 cord

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Get one of these beauties, They are called "Tilly lamps" here in the UK. Robust sturdy and double purpose utility, As in they provide light and heat, They run on parafin and each lamp lasts for about eight hours, Bit off a bugger to master when lighting but great value for money, I got mine at a local fair for £15.00 , but i put in a few hours to clean and repair it. If you want one from new expect to pay up to £75.00, But still worth the money..

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Not to be a jerk, but the number of threads on this topic is incredible.
Search any post from banned members:
Northernraider
doober
asktheanimals
daddybare

Non-banned members named:
captaintyinknots
getreadyalready
Anuubis
drumsrfun

There are plenty more.

If you search these members, banned or not, you have more info than could be possibly provided in this thread.
Trust me.

P.S.
After reading through the thread, a few people responding ain't to shabby themselves!

edit on 8-6-2012 by Oaktree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

But Oaktree its about taking part in the thread that counts, theres always somthing new to be found, Take my tilly lamp for instance, I only got it the other week so its new material so to speak,
And a bloody good asset in my opinion, So OP donot feel as if your rehashing old material.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
There's an entire forum dedicated to the information you seek.
Try the Search Function.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Here's an odd thing I recently added to all of our BOBs...(we keep one in each vehicle)

A camo Snuggie.

Yep, that's right, the stupid things you see on TV.

Why?

Lots of reasons. A while back, I was on a cruise, and it was the last time to see the Space Shuttle go up at night (we were pulling close to Cape Canaveral). But, it was like 4:30am, and on the ocean, it was COLD.

The gals had brought snuggies just for this, more for showing allegiance, than anything else. But, these damn things worked really well against the cold. Plus, you can always turn them around and wear like a robe.

So, I figure, it serves as instant, quick throw-on camo, and can keep you warm, while also making a pretty soft pillow when bunking down in the wild.

I'm all about something that has lots of uses.

Not sure about most, but my BOB is basically designed for one thing....getting me home, if the SHTF while I'm away. I commute an hour each day to work, so a lot of space for something to go down. (so my BOB is a bit beefier than my wife's, etc. as she's rarely more than 15 min from the house) Also, hers has some things mine doesn't, like feminine things and her meds, etc. So you have to personalize a BOB for the one who may have to use it.

Now, I realize not every SHTF scenario will let you stay in your home, but that's certainly going to be my main goal, as it's in the country enough to be hidden a bit, but still close to conveniences, a good sized property, and has lots of fencing and defensibility. (and also where I'd be most comfortable).

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Think outside the box a little =

Plastic shower curtain - already has reinforced "holes" for shelter making. Light weight (compared to a tarp), ground cover....
Tampons = fire starter cotton, perfect size for bullet hole (and other blood producing injuries), takes little room in BoB ....
Duct Tape - everything from first aid to shelter making......
Toilet wipes - takes less room than toilet paper and has other uses as in hand cleaning etc....
Garbage bags - shelter, ground cover, poncho for rain and of course storage.....
Coffee filters - good for filtering water and fire starter....

Read up on Pine Needle(s) - google - made into tea has more vit C than 10 lemons - wax from boiling can be used as medical ointment - Different types of Pine - some better than others - but located in almost any climate.

I have tried to list some things that you have not talked about (except duct tape and garbage bags). This is NOT a FULL list - just a few things that you may have around the house or are inexpensive.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I am spending the night in the woods tonight so I thought I would tell you what I packed and contribute a little more.

I am using a small regular style knapsack like the OP mentioned and not a big pack

The contents are (for one person as i will be alone
)

1 kabar knife.
1 fold out pocket saw (not really needed since I have my kabar but what the hell)
1 gortex bivvy bag.
1 flannel sheet folded up nice and small that goes inside the bivvy bag
1 can of chili for dinner tonight with a spoon.
My firesteel.
My waterfilter.
a 6 pack of beer.

Its compact and simple and I think it is a good example of a small bag.
Of course this bag is tailored to my needs for the scenario.
So there you have it.
Have a good weekend folks.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mappam

Nice out of the box recommendations!

Love the garbage bags especially.
My issue with the shower curtail would be durability though, most are pretty easy to rip. (and I only get tarps that have the grommets.)

Duct Tape is a must though.
edit on 18-6-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join