It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISS to cover transit of Venus.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Hi all, I see that ISS will have live coverage of the Transit of Venus. It will be the first time that a transit of Venus is seen from outer space. What an experience that will be.

Now, hopefully, those ATS'rs that keeps on complaining that ISS cannot (or do not want to) take pictures of the sun, will be satisfied.

Here are the links about what is going to happen.

science.nasa.gov...

Still upset that it shall be totally cloudy over here, guess I'll have to watch the webcast too.... was so hoping to make a good movie about it.
edit on 1/6/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Fake.

Oh wait...it didn't happen yet...it will be fake because NASA lies.

[/sarc]
edit on 6/1/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Fake.

Oh wait...it didn't happen yet...it will be fake because NASA lies.

[/sarc]
edit on 6/1/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Ouch, Phage, but yes, I guess we will hear that the webcast was faked, or people will look at dust or reflections and see all sorts of UFO's or Niburu (or is it Nirvana??)....

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Now, hopefully, those ATS'rs that keeps on complaining that ISS cannot (or do not want to) take pictures of the sun, will be satisfied.

I captured a Celestia video of the ISS for June 5, and (if you can access it) it shows that the transit should be observable during 2 orbits. I just did the first one. My prediction is that they will get an image of the Sun only while it is in the 'sweet spot', which means viewing it within a certain distance of the earths limb. As the video shows, the transit should be visible for a good long while, if there were portholes other than the Cupola available. Better still, a live video stream from a camera (with a filter of course, preferably ND) outside the ISS should capture the whole transit over 2 orbits. I'm betting you will only get a few images from the Cupola, which to me does not prove the Sun or planets are visible anywhere else than while being viewed through the Earths atmosphere. Not long to wait!

12.5 Mb ogg download:
docs.google.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
that's cool.
i wonder what the space station of 2117 will be called when it films the next one.
i'm guessing it'll be the i-station or a McDonalds

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Here are the amazing
images taken by Don Pettit from the ISS. Obviously he had more than one filter, and most of the images are in Infrared at 763 nm, which our eyes can not see. I dont know what the other filters were. Also notice the shape of the Sun in image iss031e088225, which indicates it is being distorted by the Earths atmosphere. So why didn't he us an ND filter, then we could see the true colour of the Sun? I'm not impressed.
www.flickr.com...

join