It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BC biotech company seeks approval for GM apple in Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This is the same company with a pending application to grow these in the States, too. They've modified it to no turn brown. What a great fete of science, huh? Can't say I ever thought that was a very big problem.

Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc. spent more than a decade developing the 'Arctic' apple, according to its website, and first petitioned the U.S. Department of Agriculture to bring the variety to U.S. markets in 2010. That request, which is still pending, was the first the agency had ever received for a genetically modified apple.

Company president Neal Carter told industry newspaper The Packer that he expects a decision from the USDA to come within the year.

The company filed for approvals from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Health Canada in April to release the apple here for "commercial planting purposes, livestock feed and food use." The agencies will receive public comments on the petition for approval through mid-June.

The article provides a link where you can give feedback to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, as well.

thetyee.ca...

Neal Carter of Okanagan Specialty Fruits is waiting for approval of the new apple from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, but he thinks it's a winner already. "All we've done is turn off one gene in the apple itself -- an enzyme that drives the browning reaction," he told CTV News. "It's the great product you've always wanted without the baggage of going brown."

www.ctvbc.ctv.ca...
edit on 26-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Pretty soon I won't be able to eat anything

It's not hard to keep apples from going brown. Why are people so ridiculously thick?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The Man from Del Monte, he say Noooo! Hell Noooo!
edit on 26/5/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Talking about biting off more than you can chew...this is pandoras fruit...how do you know what your biting into if it doesn't brown....enough puns this is absolutely
Abhorrent...

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

Yeah, this really highlights the absurdity of GMO's, and the total and complete disconnect from reality the scientists behind it have.

This is probably the first time where they havent even tried to pretend this meddling with genetics is to 'feed starving people' or some such tripe. Now, they just admit it's about adding commercial value to feed products for animals.

Oh, and there has been NO TESTING of this product. As usual, they will do the testing on the public after is is authorized! With no repercussions!

If you live in BC, I hope you contact your MP and tell them you think this is absurd.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

No brown allowed apples, I'm sure snow white is pleased.

Reminds me when a family member was buying a new sofa. "Would you like it entirely covered (dunked) in scotchgard? Only $50!"

edit on 5/27/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Lemon juice. BOOM! No browning.

Is dis fool serious?!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
Lemon juice. BOOM! No browning.

Is dis fool serious?!

Serious, yes. Foolish. Yes.

Lemon juice was my first thought as well.

Any BC folks out there care to comment?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I'm in BC. It makes me gates-of-hell furious to think I may have to forego apples forever once this garbage gets cross-pollinated... unless we all band together and shut down Monsanto once and for all.

Before it's too late. And the apples are ruined. Forever.

new topics

top topics

join