It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reconstructing Western North American Temperatures Over the Past 500 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Interesting article about scientists recording dta from tree rings and sediment to get a better understanding of climate history in N. America.

Climate proxies are naturally preserved records like tree rings or the characteristics of sediments in lakes and oceans that can indicate past climatic conditions through their biological, physical, or chemical connections to environmental conditions

And it would appear to confirms other data showing the last 2 decades to be the hottest in hundreds of years.

A key result based on this ensemble methodology is that the most recent decades are, at the level of the 20-year average, very likely the warmest across midlatitude western North America during the past 500 years.

Food for thought

www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

www.nesdis.noaa.gov...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Yeah, we are on a typical cycle, nothing really out of the norm according to NOAA:

NOAA

You have to manipulate the data and show only the very short term to make things appear catastrophic... but that's what politicians need to make money flow so they can make more money...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Using tree rings to add to data is not a proper way to look at climate. Trees only grow in certain areas, not in deserts nor oceans. This will obviously skew data.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Stretch that graph out over a longer and more prolongued time-frame and the picture becomes much clearer.

There are radical extremes on both ends of these graphs. Heck, in a relatively short (geological time) 10,000 years ago, this continent was submerged in a glacier.

What types of man-made gases caused this glacier to melt then??

I bet if there were Carbon Credits back then, that glacier could have been saved.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I have to admit that I believe much of the argument for human influenced catastrophic climate change seems disingenuous.

Out of all of the conspiracies on this website the accusation that the data is being manipulated to fit a specific agenda favouring a carbon tax seems the most plausible (imho).

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LaElvis
reply to post by stanguilles7

Using tree rings to add to data is not a proper way to look at climate. Trees only grow in certain areas, not in deserts nor oceans. This will obviously skew data.

Er, not exactly. They are using tree rings, sediment payers, and cross referencing them with other available data to get a better understanding of climate history.

Of course, if you READ THE ARTICLE before commenting, you would know that.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Nothing in this article has to do with your talking points.

Care to make a comment that actually relates to the info in the article?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze

You have to manipulate the data and show only the very short term to make things appear catastrophic... but that's what politicians need to make money flow so they can make more money...

So, are you saying they manipulated the data in this study to find the last 20 years are the hottest in the past 50?

Can you show me where they manipulated their data?

Can you point out the methodology of the graph you provide?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well, reading the comments here, I guess no one actually read the article, and instead just want to assume this has to do with carbon credits.

PM me when one of you has a relevant, informed opinion on the info presented in the article, instead of pre-canned 'global warming' comments.

top topics

join