It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Explanation for "Strange Sounds" Phenomenon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I've come up with a theory that *could* be one possible naturalistic explanation for the "strange sounds" phenomenon occurring around the world. It came to me when I saw the thread about the UAV spotted in Chicago on May 13.

This video was uploaded May 13, 2012, which you can see if you follow the link to YouTube.

After reading the thread here on that subject, I went to go check out the threads in the bargain bin (and by bargain bin, I mean GLP). There was a thread about a "strange sounds" video that had also been taken in Chicago, published on the same day.

Now I don't believe this particular drone is responsible for the sound, as that type of drone pictured in the video is not capable of supersonic speeds. But it got me thinking about the drones that are capable of supersonic (and even hypersonic) speeds. It is also highly likely that if they are deploying drones over the Chicago area, there are probably a whole lot more we aren't seeing, possibly including the supersonic variety. So I did do some digging around to see if a theory could be put together that at the very least is internally logically consistent.

First just a refresher on supersonic speed:

Wikipedia: Supersonic:

Supersonic speed is a rate of travel of an object that exceeds the speed of sound (Mach 1). For objects traveling in dry air of a temperature of 20 °C (68 °F) this speed is approximately 343 m/s, 1,125 ft/s, 768 mph or 1,235 km/h. Speeds greater than five times the speed of sound (Mach 5) are often referred to as hypersonic.

As for what an observer hears when observing conventional supersonic aircraft:

Wikipedia: Sonic Boom:

A sonic boom is the sound associated with the shock waves created by an object traveling through the air faster than the speed of sound. Sonic booms generate enormous amounts of sound energy, sounding much like an explosion.

The sound of a sonic boom depends largely on the distance between the observer and the aircraft shape producing the sonic boom.

Sonic booms were also a nuisance in North Cornwall and North Devon as these areas were underneath the flight path of Concorde. Windows would rattle and in some cases the "torching" (pointing underneath roof slates) would be dislodged with the vibration.

Now for the really interesting part, from the same entry:

There has been recent work in this area, notably under DARPA's Quiet Supersonic Platform studies. Research by acoustics experts under this program began looking more closely at the composition of sonic booms, including the frequency content. Several characteristics of the traditional sonic boom "N" wave can influence how loud and irritating it can be perceived by listeners on the ground. Even strong N-waves such as those generated by Concorde or military aircraft can be far less objectionable if the rise time of the overpressure is sufficiently long.

DARPA, of all people, have been investigating the acoustics of supersonic sound as perceived by ground observers, and concluded to reduce the annoyance is to prolong the length of the sonic boom, or the "rise time", meaning it gets gradually louder until it reaches peak amplitude, rather than reaching peak amplitude immediately.

DARPA, as some may know, has recently as of less than 1 year begun testing "hypersonic" drones - capable of reaching speeds of Mach 5 or greater. Their 'Falcon' project has seen several successful test flights, that we know about:

Wikipedia: Darpa Falcon Project:

DARPA had two HTV-2s built for two flight tests in 2010 and 2011. The Minotaur IV light rocket is the booster for the HTV-2 with Vandenberg Air Force Base serving as the launch site. DARPA planned the flights to demonstrate thermal protection systems and aerodynamic control features. Test flights were supported by NASA, the Space and Missile Systems Center, Lockheed Martin, Sandia National Laboratories and the Air Force Research Laboratory's (AFRL) Air Vehicles and Space Vehicles Directorates.

Remember, these are only the flights that we know about, that have been made official, and doesn't even include black budget projects that aren't even on the books. As far as we know, they may already be classified programs using hypersonic drone technology in daily operations.

There are many other hypersonic and supersonic drone programs currently being developed besides DARPA's Falcon program. Just one example:

Gizmag: Record-breaking supersonic UAV jet in the works

How closely in time does the "strange sounds" phenomenon correlate with the rise in this new hypersonic UAV industry? Very closely, actually. According to Google Trends, the strange sounds phenomenon began late 2011 and early 2012, not long after the first "official" test flights of DARPA's hypersonic aircraft.

Would it make such a sound? I don't know, because I'm not an expert in acoustics, but my intuition tells me that since UAV's are smaller in size than conventional aircraft they would generate a higher-pitched frequency when flying at supersonic speeds. They are also capable of flying much higher in altitude, meaning the sound will be heard for a longer period of time compared to a low-flying aircraft, since the rate of change of the angle between the observer and the sound source is much slower.

Is it the best alternative so far? We know these sounds are coming from the sky, are happening in diverse places around the world, and have been heard in major cities. The only other explanations I've seen for them so far are things like "the earth's vibrations are changing" or "angels are warning us", or similar crap, without much evidence to support either claim.
edit on 15-5-2012 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Just curious.. does a sonic boom last for over 20 minutes, as some of the witnesses claim these booms last?

"angels are warning us"

You know, it's interesting to note that. I don't believe the Angels are warning us, or whatever. I take a more naturalistic approach, I just give credit to God. I've heard a theory by a pastor one time, that said Earthquakes is the Earth's way of crying out, because it is filled with evil.

I thought it was kind of an odd theory, but in the scriptural sense, it does say that in the end, Earthquakes will occur in diverse places. Since it would be "the end", it would make sense assuming the theory is correct.

I just like the idea though. I mean, after all, the Earth is basically a giant crystal, right? Maybe it is possible that some of these claims are right (though I'm a bit skeptical about some who say Earthquakes is the Earth expanding to make room for the billions of people going to Hell at the center of the Earth, lol), and this is the Earth simply "waking up" in a sense.

In fact.. I really I don't know.
I'm just going to blame HAARP as usual.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

did the OP listen to the second video?

That weird hollow magnetic metallic sound is not something breaking the sound barrier.

Think about that.

I could link you to many posts of mine about the strange sound if you wish.

It's most probably a magnetic anomaly having to do with the earth itself.

Just read this please...

Post about strange sounds with links... Personal experience included

Oh, and I am in a "city" of maybe 40,000 tops. There's basically 3 main roads... It's a mountain town.
Think about this. I was trained to spot aircraft silouettes in the Army, But I saw nothing... This was a 30 minute experience, but there were no lights anywhere. The sky was mostly clear.

If you go through the links paying attention to dates/times you will see that on March 13th at 2:30AM I heard THE strange sounds. If you look further you will see the earth magnetosphere data is missing for this time. Looking further you will see a graph showing magnetic reversal anomalies. This graph was drawn on by me in green. Looking at the time you will see that right when the biggest change in the earth's magnetosphere was occuring, I was hearing the Strange sounds.

So, I disagree with it being drones...

Check it out, especially the timing of my posts...

Heard the strange sound March 13th 2:30AM (thought it was march 12th, but I stay up VERY late) Posted about the strange sound in a thread that seemed similar to what happened to me, since I have/had no recording on March 16th.. March 19th (I think) a video was posted about missing earth magnetic data for Late march 12th, into March 13th.
I found this video from a thread on ATS (linked above if you go through it) recently.

So...

I think this is Earth Magnetosphere related..

DO you have any recorded sounds of sonic booms, or sonic altered booms... ???
If so they should be in this thread. That way I could compare the sounds.
Since you did not include this I must guess that it isn't so easy to record. ?
Or maybe you have a 30 minute recording of strange sounds caused by a jet, that somehow never travels anywhere hahahaha.

just let me know.

~Dusty
edit on 5/15/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

Just curious.. does a sonic boom last for over 20 minutes, as some of the witnesses claim these booms last?

If the drone is circling a single city as drones typically do, and are flying at very high altitude, at supersonic speeds, all you would hear is a prolonged noise. It's not the same as when a fighter jet zooms overhead and startles you with a sonic boom and then is gone.

top topics

join