It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarettes and the End of the World.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

It's not the tobacco itself but rather the chemicals within it that bring on addiction.

Still, cigarettes are just one of the many scourges of humanity. They shorten lifespans, they make people sick (even those who don't smoke!) and those who start smoking for image reasons quickly find out about the smelly breath, rotten teeth and wrinkles as they get older.

You can't argue for smokers' rights because what about the rights of the people who have to deal with cigarette smoke in a public setting?

Sure, cars pollute too and everything else kills.

Dear smokers: Do yourselves and others a favor and quit.
edit on 14-5-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Here's a classic ploy used by smokers: Bring up alcohol and derail the entire discussion!

It doesn't address the health issues that cigarettes cause. It doesn't address the corruption of big tobacco.

Let's save alcohol for another discussion and focus on cigarettes.

I've read that plenty of people smoke to relieve stress. There are other ways to relieve stress without partaking in any kind of illicit activity (drinking, smoking, etc). One such way is meditation. Free and easy!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

I've read that plenty of people smoke to relieve stress. There are other ways to relieve stress without partaking in any kind of illicit activity (drinking, smoking, etc).

You list drinking and smoking as illicit activities?? Try reading something different, you are obviously misinformed.

edit on 14-5-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

let's all just agree to disagree, who cares really? People are going to die, others will live; some of it's deserving, some of it's acquiescence; some will say it's wrong, other's will say to stay out of their business. This was just a point of observation, I don't really intend for people to explore the in's and out's of alcohol.... or even cigarettes for that mater. People are going to smoke, and it lays on the opposite spectrum of the drug war accusations.

We can go back and forth till we're blue in the face, it's not going to stop people from smoking. People do what they want, it's a free country after all. It's our fault for getting sucked in, isn't it?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
As a smoker and a bartender I find so much irony in the smoking laws in my state. I can serve alcohol all day long to a person I know is driving, basically aiding and abetting in a potential felony and that is perfectly legal. But if I dare smoke or allow smoking in the building...why I can be fined heavily and if done enough times, lose our liquor license.
I realise that doesn't really pertain to the OP but is something that has irritated me since the non-smoking law was enacted here (Ohio).

But in my opinion, the once powerful tobacco companies have become impotent with the wide spread no smoking laws. However, I do agree that a more stressful situation does induce me to light up more often, providing I am outdoors, of course.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by megabogie

I'd also like to mention how many people in my circle of friends who found themselves smoking far more often after the CDC laws had been put in place, mandating that a chemical be placed in the paper to prevent the cigarette for burning if it's not being smoked. For instance, Winstons, which had been additive free, are no longer, and it is not labeled as such any more. I am curious about all the situations they intend to try and impose upon us that actually cause people to smoke more frequently. People need to keep in mind the amount of money big tobacco has to throw around.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Cigarettes don't kill, cancer does. ;D

or was it guns?...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wishful1gnorance

it is scary the amount of chemicals in the cigarettes and basically most consumable goods that we just don't know about. The cigarettes don't taste the same since they added the go-out-as-soon-as-you-put-it down-paper.

I agree the tobacco companies do have more disposable income since they are prohibited from advertising and can't buy politicians anymore.

I hate to admit that I enjoy smoking and consider it the only vice I have. I consider myself a polite smoker by not doing it among non-smokers. I usually sneak off to do it by myself.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Illicit? A better word would be harmful?

Good catch otherwise.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by megabogie

Actually, aren't you required to use your best judgment? If a patron looks severely impaired, would you really let them drive off?

Then again, with all due respect, I see another attempt to derail a thread about CIGARETTES.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
it's funny how you would smoke cigarettes for stress relief and not the other less harmful ILLEGAL substance.

but I would believe that is by design as well since the ILLEGAL substance helps you in questioning things that don't make sense as well

Cigs don't mess with your aim. I would not want to be [or the guys watching my back ] under the influence of anything in a fight for my life. Certainly don't want something that makes me think twice about the reasons to fire back at the guys shootin' at me.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Being that this is a thread about smoking, if anyone wants to quit easily PM me and I'll tell you all about the joys of Personal Vaporizers (e-cigs).

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join