It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignore function?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I'm new, so I'm learning.
Is there an ignore function for the trolls that we run into so we can ignore them more easily? Or perhaps a way to block yourself from seeing them and them from seeing you?

I did read the link given somewhere else in this forum: redwing.hutman.net...
and have narrowed it down to :

Ferrous Cranus is utterly impervious to reason, persuasion and new ideas, and when engaged in battle he will not yield an inch in his position regardless of its hopelessness. Though his thrusts are decisively repulsed, his arguments crushed in every detail and his defenses demolished beyond repair he will remount the same attack again and again with only the slightest variation in tactics. Sometimes out of pure frustration Philosopher will try to explain to him the failed logistics of his situation, or Therapist will attempt to penetrate the psychological origins of his obduracy, but, ever unfathomable, Ferrous Cranus cannot be moved.

but I don't know what the conventional way to handle those people are for ATS. Are we to ignore them, report them, is there a way to block them or do we just rise above it and try to avoid interaction with them?
Thanks!
I just want to go by what the conventional wisdom and actions are.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It was removed, as theres no free speech here, theres no free will either, you will have to put up with those you like, and with those you dont aswell.

Have a nice day

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juanxlink
It was removed, as theres no free speech here, theres no free will either, you will have to put up with those you like, and with those you dont aswell.

Have a nice day

LOL ok.
I can do that, just wanted to know what the standard proceedures were

Thanks!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
If you need a button to ignore something, you need to go for a walk and get away from the computer. We ignore with our own eyes and brains. If you can't handle that, you can't handle freedom.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
If you need a button to ignore something, you need to go for a walk and get away from the computer. We ignore with our own eyes and brains. If you can't handle that, you can't handle freedom.

Thanks for the tip, just checking to see how it worked

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

you want to find the IGNORE button on a forum who's motto is DENY IGNORANCE.

the irony slays me!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet

you want to find the IGNORE button on a forum who's motto is DENY IGNORANCE.

the irony slays me!

Now that you put it that way, it makes sense! LOL
Thanks!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

There used to be an ignore feature here on ATS, but with the major changes to the site which took place in 2010, It was removed. Now, if you want to ignore someone you're just going to have to do it the ol' fashioned way.

Here's a post from SkepticOverlord when the changes first came in:

It's our feeling that, back when ATS was a more wild and untamed place, the ignore function was an appropriate respite for members. However, we now have a sharp and professional staff who works hard at keeping the streets clean and the lights on. I understand it may cause some friction for those who were accustomed to negating the input of certain members, but please give it time as the ability to consider even the most abrasive contribution -- from its philosophical perspective -- is a critical component of denying ignorance and supporting free-and-open expression.

If you see something you don't like then you're more than free to just ignore it and move onto something else. If you see something that's a breach of the Terms and Conditions of ATS however, then let us know about it and we'll get rid of it asap.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

There used to be an ignore feature here on ATS, but with the major changes to the site which took place in 2010, It was removed. Now, if you want to ignore someone you're just going to have to do it the ol' fashioned way.

Here's a post from SkepticOverlord when the changes first came in:

It's our feeling that, back when ATS was a more wild and untamed place, the ignore function was an appropriate respite for members. However, we now have a sharp and professional staff who works hard at keeping the streets clean and the lights on. I understand it may cause some friction for those who were accustomed to negating the input of certain members, but please give it time as the ability to consider even the most abrasive contribution -- from its philosophical perspective -- is a critical component of denying ignorance and supporting free-and-open expression.

If you see something you don't like then you're more than free to just ignore it and move onto something else. If you see something that's a breach of the Terms and Conditions of ATS however, then let us know about it and we'll get rid of it asap.

Thank you! Very informative. I can see the reasoning for it.
I just had someone who was trying their best to pick a fight and I kept trying to explain in a reasonable way, but he wanted a fight, plain and simple. I wanted to see if I could just click a button and he'd go away, but I'm capable of ignoring him and not feeding into his little game. It took me a while to realize that's all he wanted and nothing else, but I stopped trying to converse when I figured out that's what he was doing.
Live and learn I guess. The "newness" will wear off soon for me

I did send a report thing, then I moved on.
Thanks for all the info, you guys are fast!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

What are you going on about? People kill, steal, rape, molest kids, drive while drunk... If you need a prison system then you need to go for a walk and get away from society. But, hey, just ignore them with your eyes and your brains. If you can't handle that, you can't handle freedom. Has to be one of thee most ridiculous statements ever written.
edit on 5/13/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Honestly, don't worry about it, It's something that happens to all of us which is to be fully expected given who we are and what kind of a forum ATS is - one that promotes debate. In my opinion It's very little to do with being new, old, or somewhere in the middle. I mean, I know I have some strong opinions on some topics discussed here and even now I know It can be very tough to just walk away from the argument when someone is being rude, unreasonable or anything else like that. I know we all want to carry on and throw our opinion out there and prove them wrong, we all do, but yes trust me when I say the best thing is to just walk away and if needs be, send an alert. All credit to you for walking away when you did as well, It's what the bigger person does.

It's unfortunate that some, no matter what, just can't physically walk away from the debate though and that really does create a lot of problems. I wish we could all remember that getting angry in an argument really is just the quickest way to a defeat and even potentially trouble. After all, I'm sure we're all aware just how heated and personal It can get on ATS from time to time. But, thankfully, ATS is a place for civility and It'll always be that way. Those who can't be civil don't last very long at all.

edit on 13-5-2012 by Rising Against because: Added who I was replying to.

top topics

join