It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abundance of Methane Hydrates will Destroy the Oil Market

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
When you see the big flames at an oil refinery that is some methane hydrates being removed from the oil and discarded. I always thought they should use it, but it is too costly to manage. Oil is still cheaper. It has some toxins, there are many cleft palate babies born around the refinery here, and it seems to make the women's private parts smell strange. We will use these hydrocarbons when the others are too costly to refine.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

The article is about finding a way to capture methane hydrates, and using it as an energy source, rather than allowing it to just escape into the atmosphere, where it will be a far more potent greenhouse global warming contributor. Some might consider methane hydrates to be trapped, but my perspective is not so narrowly defined.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

I think we will all be much better off for many reasons, when all the higher grade easy to obtain oil reserves are depleted.

I think these great sources of energy wealth are currently holding back our advancement.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

The article is about finding a way to capture methane hydrates, and using it as an energy source, rather than allowing it to just escape into the atmosphere, where it will be a far more potent greenhouse global warming contributor. Some might consider methane hydrates to be trapped, but my perspective is not so narrowly defined.

'Narrowly defined'?

Did you even read the article you posted? Because it is absolutely NOT talking about harvesting methane that is releasing on it's own. The ENTIRE POINT of the article is to talk about a process by which they are able to EXTRACT natural gas that is trapped the ground.

finding a way to extract natural gas from solid hydrates

It's like you saw the word 'methane' in the headline and just posted the article so you could talk about something totally different.

Absurd.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Did you bother to read the whole OP? Or just seized onto any words that back what you think?

From the Op.

Secretary Steven Chu contributed a statement to an announced breakthrough in research into tapping the vast fuel resource of methane hydrates

Methane is a natural gas, so tapping the methane hydrates would be providing a source of natural gas, as in getting the methane from the hydrates.

How do you not get this?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Sigh. You keep talking about harvesting methane that is naturally releasing from the ocean. But this article specifically talks about developing technology that will RELEASE TRAPPED methane.

You get that something that is TRAPPED is not releasing on its own, right?

This is basically a form of fracking, because it will release trapped methane with unknown consequences for underground aquifers, etc.

I honestly dont think you understand the topic at all.

It's rather comical, actually.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Sorry if your reading comprehension is so bad, as this was pointed out in the beginning.

Yes, methane hydrates are being released naturally due to global warming, and that is a very baaaaad thing.

The plan is to tap the methane hydrates, and capture the methane, Before it is naturally released into the atmosphere, Where it will be come a serious problem, and Use it as the valuable resource it could become.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join