It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avaaz website is under massive attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The Avaaz website was the one where you signed a petition against the cispa bill. I got this email today from them saying this

right now, the Avaaz website is under massive attack. An expert is telling us only a government or major corporation could launch an attack this large, with massive, simultaneous and sophisticated assaults from across the world to take down our site.

We were expecting this. Our people-powered campaigning has been fearless, and we've taken the world's worst actors head-on and in ways that genuinely hurt them - from the Syrian and Chinese regimes to Rupert Murdoch, Big Oil and organized crime. The Syrian dictatorship called our campaigner 'the most dangerous man in the world', and a UK investigation recently revealed emails between Murdoch's news corporation and top levels of government saying the Avaaz campaign against Murdoch was their biggest concern. Sometimes I lie awake at night wondering when these people are going to come for us.

And it's begun. We have urgent campaigns on oceans, forests and Syria we need to run, but the attack has been going on for over 24 hours straight, threatening our ability to keep campaigning. Because of top-notch security, our site is still up, but it's not enough. We need to show these actors that when they attack Avaaz, they're messing with people. And people-power can't be intimidated or silenced, it only grows stronger. Click below to donate to an Avaaz defense fund to take our security to the next level, and show our attackers that whatever they throw at us only makes us stronger:

Is Avaaz hyping up people or do you really think they are being attacked by haxors for the government?

heres a link of a post taking about the CISPA bill so if you dont know what it is heres a link www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-5-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

Smells like a money making scheme.
If "anon" can take down Government sites, I'm sure the Government has the power to take down a site regardless of that site's security.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noinoi

If "anon" can take down Government sites, I'm sure the Government has the power to take down a site regardless of that site's security.

How does the fact that the gov having the power to bring down a internet web site have anything to do with a money making scheme?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
For a page undergoing a denial of service attack it loads amazingly fast... That's either impressive or hoax to drive traffic.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by Noinoi

How does the fact that the gov having the power to bring down a internet web site have anything to do with a money making scheme?

1. The fact that the site is under attack could be a hoax.

2. The idea is that the government is doing the attack.

3. The site is asking for money to further protect themselves from such an attack

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
For a page undergoing a denial of service attack it loads amazingly fast... That's either impressive or hoax to drive traffic.

What makes you think its a DOS attack? They never said dos maybe a DDOS

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

It's not that hard to take a site down with dos attacks. And if a large corporation or Government invested energy into that sort of an attack, the site would be down. The site remains up and they are asking for money. Money for better security.
Something seems off. The amount of money they've been spending seems to have skyrocketed in the last 3-4 years also.
Avaaz Expenses and Financial Information

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

You have no clue about the difference between a cover .gov site and an actually database...do you?

Stop typing things, please.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

My understanding is one works as static, the other is dynamic.
I realize that there are other methods of attack other than dos. And if it is a dynamic site, you could take the raep bandwidth option.
In saying that, I am by no means a computer genius, and I'm sure there are a many, many other ways to attack.
All I'm saying is that something smells fishy.

new topics

top topics

join