It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: National ID Cards. New Bill in Congress Brings Us Closer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I agree that it probably won't go any farther. However, I was refering to how you could be segregated against because of your genetic profile. Not because of genetic modifications, but for various health problems.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rain King
I was refering to how you could be segregated against because of your genetic profile. Not because of genetic modifications, but for various health problems.

i think were still a long way off from that, just cuz we cant do it yet. we cud analyze someones genes at birth, and get a little information, but not much huge that wud affect their lives early on, not much at all. it wud also be detrifyingly expensive.

we dont have nearly the full knowledge of the human genome required yet. if we can do it effectively, correctly, and cheaply, then we cud do somethin about it, but it still doesnt determine things. it just means that if ur likely to have a heart attack, theyd take that into consideration if ur trying to be an astronaut.

LL1

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Your Driver's License will be your National ID Card, with all necessary personal
data, with links to numerous data bases.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
And now just a few currently unsolvable problems that could be ELIMINATED with a biometric coded national ID card.

Missing children could not be given new identities and vanish forever
Identity theft and the resulting financial ruin
Voter Fraud from multiple and/or fraudulent registrations
Dead beat parents/spouses not fulfilling there obligations
Fugitives escaping justice for years
Stolen wallets absolutely useless save any cash in them

I don't know, I almost think I might sleep easier at night.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Next our babies will be born and tag with microchips in the name of war on terror and the best for the country.

People be aware littler by littler we have beign strip of our rights, and out privacy.

Just in case you did not know it, they are already microchiping children.

As for having our rights stripped from us, I do not think that is the intention. The Intention is very clear so we they can track people. Which is better having a system to track terrorists, criminals, illegal imigrants or no system at all?

I will take the id system any day of the week.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1
Your Driver's License will be your National ID Card, with all necessary personal
data, with links to numerous data bases.

Yep.
If you have any doubts, here's what the State of Michigan is already doing (and this was as of late October, 2004).
For a driver's license renewal, you are REQUIRED to provide your social security number or present at a Secretary of States Office valid proof as to why you don't have a ss#.

I know, you're saying "I'm just not gonna give them that number!"
No worries
you don't give it, you don't get your license.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
After much thought and careful consideration
I am still unsure as to whether or not I will renew my drivers license
the good news for me at least is that I live close to work and can pretty
much do everything I need to do on foot or bicycle. Now I know that not everyone can do this, but how many people will do without.

As far as tracking people goes the Government has no right to track people
for any reason other than criminal offense and in my opinion they never will.
keep in mind that the majority of the terrorists involved in the September 11 2001 attacks were here legally, that is not saying that they weren't doing illegal things once they were here. but as in the past crime prevention gets smarter and so do the criminals that is just how it goes. I would also reccomend that you all take a good hard look at your civil freedoms and wave goodbye becuase after this bill the next time you cross through that toll booth you may just be monitored.
also realize that when your number is up it is over no card or government is going to keep you from dieing when your time has come..

geo

[edit on 12/13/2004 by geocom]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
You missed out the supplementary internal passport, I think. Whenever you travel anywhere within the state you will need to produce this, at checkpoints I would assume. This is funny how many people think this ID card is for their benefit, or rather for the imagined enemy. You're all handing in your freedom to the state in exchange for security, and you deserve neither and will lose both. Now, who was the guy who said that.

[edit on 13-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
You missed out the supplementary internal passport, I think. Whenever you travel anywhere within the state you will need to produce this, at checkpoints I would assume. This is funny how many people think this ID card is for their benefit, or rather for the imagined enemy. You're all handing in your freedom to the state in exchange for security, and you deserve neither and will lose both. Now, who was the guy who said that.

[edit on 13-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

BEN FRANKILN

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The ink is barely dry on the new National Intelligence Reform Act of 2004 and groups are already complaining about the reforms in driver's license information:

At issue is Section 1027 of Subtitle B of the National Intelligence Reform Act of 2004, entitled "Drivers Licenses and Personal Identification Cards."

That provision requires the Secretary of Transportation and the Secretary of Homeland Security to "establish minimum standards for driver's licenses or personal identification cards issued by a State" within 18 months after the enactment of the law. Licenses and photo IDs from states that fail to comply with the standards would not be accepted by the federal government for any purpose, including getting past airport security, entering a federal building or even claiming certified mail.

here's the article

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
And now just a few currently unsolvable problems that could be ELIMINATED with a biometric coded national ID card.

Missing children could not be given new identities and vanish forever
Identity theft and the resulting financial ruin
Voter Fraud from multiple and/or fraudulent registrations
Dead beat parents/spouses not fulfilling there obligations
Fugitives escaping justice for years
Stolen wallets absolutely useless save any cash in them

I don't know, I almost think I might sleep easier at night.

Why isn't it posssible to just be free? Now come the responses: freedom isn't free, we have to protect ourselves, they're gonna attack us, those deadbeat dads need to be strung, bad people are out there.... This one card will NOT Eliminate those problems! Please don't believe that those things will NOT Continue, they will.

When milk cartons had faces of children, did it stop abductions? No.
Do financial institutions stop ponzi schemes? No
Will it stop illegals from voting?
Will it help the cash strapped dad make his payments? No
Will fugatives register? No
Will it improve your credit card score? No

As an American, I don't want someone 'knowing' : how I spend my money, where I buy my food, if I'm voting or not, know what my DNA sequence is... I don't want anyone to know things about me that I don't tell them personnally. Our fore-fathers must be rolling over in their graves right now.

If we as a people are made/suggested to look at the basic ideas which promote this, then we miss the broad idea that alludes us: Liberties and rights being deminished. I guess you can see where I stand.

Tuataras Third Eye

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Quote: "know what my DNA sequence is."

The National ID idea doesn't really bother me. It is the Possible Abuse of EXISTING Biometric Technology that worries me! Talk about the Ultimate Unique Personal Identifier - DNA (taken from various sources) is it! Look what happened to
Social Security - the SS# has simply become a PIN #! A Tax Payer Number - it gets absorbed back into the system. Why does the Insurance Company or Credit Card Company need my SS# - they are Not part of the Government! BIOMETRIC ID's could lead to an Orwellian Corporate State of Nightmare Proportions!

P.S. Tuatara - nice User Name - that is a Great Band - those who are unfamiliar should check out Tuatara CD's!

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
Quote: "know what my DNA sequence is."

The National ID idea doesn't really bother me. It is the Possible Abuse of EXISTING Biometric Technology that worries me! Talk about the Ultimate Unique Personal Identifier - DNA (taken from various sources) is it! Look what happened to
Social Security - the SS# has simply become a PIN #! A Tax Payer Number - it gets absorbed back into the system. Why does the Insurance Company or Credit Card Company need my SS# - they are Not part of the Government! BIOMETRIC ID's could lead to an Orwellian Corporate State of Nightmare Proportions!

P.S. Tuatara - nice User Name - that is a Great Band - those who are unfamiliar should check out Tuatara CD's!

If you've ever been in the military, they take a DNA swab- they have your "number" in a way to sort of say it. Now if it becomes a national repository of information, I could just imagine how it could be abused. And do you not believe that insurance companies would get a hold of that information! Sorry, no insurance for you, you're suseptable to getting ???? The government got us to pay them to drive our cars!

This subject reminds me of being a Roman and being able to prove it, THE NEW Passports. To be one of it's citizens and all the rights you had if you were one. And combine this with the Patriot Act (you gotta love the naming scheme) and you can track and trace all your people AND the "enemy". But for what?

Let's not forget the 'implants'.. the ones started on animals, went into the British Royal Family and into some willing families.. to stop all those things that 'Relentless' pointed out. I don't think so.

For me this subject is like Gun Control: Legislate / Registrate / Confiscate
Not to mention the plans to make guns biometrically specific to one person- let's say like a chip in your hand that has to be within 5 inches for the gun to fire....

I'm almost beginning to believe that Mexicans have more 'freedoms' than we do. They're not as 'traced' as we are. AND no I don't want to go live down there.

PS a Tuatara is an animal that has survived from the dinosaur age, it's not a lizard and the amazing thing is it has a "third" eye!

Tuataras Third Eye

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
we have IDs already. we need them for various purposes. Drivers license, passport, whatever. Why not consolidate em?

Wait a sec, you said yourself these are various purposes, not one purpose. You can't go abroad using the driver license. You can't drive using your passport, and you can't buy groceries using either.

The driver license is already forge proof (mine is, many holographic features etc). Why spend more money on something that's not achieving anything? It's no consolidation at all, my friend.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Starting to seem like Nazi Germany or Communist Russia isn't it?...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I've already got one...it's called a Driver's License. Had it for years. I have yet to see the big deal with this. It wouldn't have any more information than my current one has...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
Starting to seem like Nazi Germany or Communist Russia isn't it?...

No. Putting more bio data on the license doesn't do jack. It's useless, really. It's hard to forge it already.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Some of us live in countries that already have national id cards. There is absolutely no problem with them.

It is exactly the same as having the driver's licence or a passport. The only difference is that a single form of document becomes standard for the whole country.

Don't forget that all of us are already registered somewhere.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
Some of us live in countries that already have national id cards. There is absolutely no problem with them.

It is exactly the same as having the driver's licence or a passport. The only difference is that a single form of document becomes standard for the whole country.

Don't forget that all of us are already registered somewhere.

If it's different, they why have all three?

Also remember, we are a collection of States. And are allowed differences, well at least some.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join