It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Cams Recording Patients at the Clinic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
After not having been to our clinic in town in about a year, I got a bit of a surprise today when I walked into the main entrance where patients check in. At three separate stalls, each having a receptionist and computer, there was something I had never seen before, a camera attached to the top of their computer screens, aiming directly at you and the waiting area.

When I was checking in and filling out a little paper work, I heard the shutter in the camera click in front of me. I went and sat down and told my husband that I had just gotten my photo taken without my permission! When I returned the paperwork they asked for my ID. I've been going to this same clinic for many years, but today they wanted it again for some reason.

As I waited to be called back, another patient which was standing at the desk was told she had to have her photo taken to validate who she is.

What in the world is going on? I have never seen this taking place before in my life. I felt like I was at the DMV, not the doctor's office.

I wanted to bust out my camera and take a picture of these cams, but there is a sign at the front door that says "No Cameras".

So they can take a photo of me, but I can't take a picture of them.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The "No cameras" posted sign may be for the protection of the clients against outside persons coming in and photoing the patients. This does effectively limit you from taking pictures in the clinic as well, but maybe it is not as nefarious as it seems.

But the photo taking by a receptionist is an oddity have no explanation for.

edit on 30-4-2012 by mileysubet because: to add

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Some Doctors offices are now adding photos, and such to their "files" on each of us.

It's all part of the unification of universal medical records. Artical on Universal Medical records from WSJ

Not necessarily a "bad" thing if it were all benign, but without doubt, there is also bad sides to this.

Our medical records, will be tied into all our "other" files to make one big file on each of us. For good, or ill.

8 years ago, I would have thought this was a cool, and great idea.. having all our information in one file, that can be accessed from any hospital or Doctor's office, or in the event of a medical emergency..

Now, however, I am not so keen on the whole idea.

As far as "no cameras allowed" for the patients. It would be called "HIPAA" or some such law, where medical confidentiality is of utmost importance. Source.

Hope that sheds some light on things for you.

-Cyg

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
And if they don't have those digital photos on a server with very specific security, including a closed network, THEY are violating HIPAA.

Next time you go, ask them to furnish you with their network's "Security Whitepaper". This document outlines the steps taken to secure these photos. If they refuse to furnish this, or are confused by your question, well, there's your answer: they don't know and don't care. Tell that receptionist to say "cheese".

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchildren

First of all "small cameras on top of computers" dont have a shutter. Second if you're on their property they can dictate the rules such as "no cameras". They can also take all the pictures they desire.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
"Health Care Reform" = "INSURED DEATH".

Medical advice? PRAY to avoid doctors - an apple a day keeps them away! Otherwise they might drug you to death.

And yea, I'm bitter after a Dr Pusher gave me terrible advice and threatened my life "take these pills or you will die"... Thank God my wife was with me - he made me real mad.

And BTW, its been over 4 years since then and I reversed type 2 diabetes without drugs. Many others have done the same but they dare not give advice or they'd be arrested for it. So all I can do is share my experience while hoping it helps others. Got questions? ASK GOD! Oh crap was that advice
? - well as far as I know spiritual advice is still legal without being certified - but could be considered certifiable

edit on 5/1/2012 by reitze because: + word to avoid giving "medical advice"

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Just so you know... This is to prevent insurance fraud. They can not take your picture without your permission. Nor can they copy your ID without your permission. What suffices for them is a quick glance at your ID every time. Which they will have to do without a pic of you in their records. I ask, which is more important, my privacy or their convenience?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
Just so you know... This is to prevent insurance fraud. They can not take your picture without your permission.

Since when? They dont need any permission to take pictures.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Originally posted by elouina
Just so you know... This is to prevent insurance fraud. They can not take your picture without your permission.

Since when? They dont need any permission to take pictures.

Random photography is asking for a legal suit and should be forbidden in medical facilities. This is a violation of patient privacy without explicit informed consent. I myself have had many medical facilities request my picture, and I turned them down every time. Without a single bit of trouble over it. Why? Because they are asking for more than is legally required. Which is just flashing them your photo ID.

BTW, I work in the medical profession and see copies of drivers licenses multiple times every day. They take a copy and include copies for every darn dept imaginable. Why? Because some stupid moron just throws a stack of papers on the copier. And does not pull of the license. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry has access to them. And this is not appropriate. And I am certain the patients do not know this is happening. Once again, you can refuse allowing them to copy your ID. Just let them peek at your name and pic, that is plenty.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Should be... but it isn't then? There's nothing that forbids them from taking pictures. Or if you keep claiming there is then source it cause I do not care what your personal feelings on the issue are.

top topics

join