It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning a trip to the US - location

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
So I would like to go to the USA and I want to start planning a trip. This could be from about 6 months to a year and wanted to know some nice states

I like the outdoors so hiking, snowboarding are things I enjoy but I also want to experience a great American culture.

I am completely stuck on ideas so any American help or perhaps help from other people who have visited America would be much help!!

Thank you!
CRB

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
If you like caving..Missouri is awesome.

Maine is very nice..lots of fishing communities. Best fall scenery I have ever seen. I would like to have a second home their one day.

New Mexico and Arizona quite nice too. Some absolute beautiful country.

New England states in general have a lot of history. Lots to see.

Peace

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
If you are into outdoors activities (such as hiking, kayaking, fishing, hunting etc.) you can't go wrong with the southeast states. I'm from Alabama and I spend almost as much time outside as I do inside. Most people here are extremely nice too. Other than that, Hawaii is beautiful pretty much anytime of year and Alaska is an outdoors-man's paradise.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Maybe we'd be better off pointing out the states he could miss? I'd vote for skipping North Dakota and Montana. Maybe Nebraska? Could he skip Alabama?

I suppose he'd want to visit the coastal states, maybe visit one or two Southwestern states, maybe Minnesota and Wisconsin.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Hi go you'll have a blast seriously and want to return again and again.

I got hooked when I was 16 (now 37) and was priveladged to join a group of end of year Geography school students. Two weeks with Trek America will blow your mind. We did the Westerner 2 trek landing in LA before travelling up the wonderful California coast ( Stops on the way Manns Chinese theatre, Hollywood, Venice Beach, Solvang, Monterey etc ) arriving in San Francisco before heading inland to the Stunning Yosemite National Park and then Dessert through Death Valley, Bodie Ghost Town, Hoover Damn to Vegas, the Grand Canyon etc, etc. The trip was awsome with lots of travelling, beautiful scenery and time to meet some locals also.

Since that first trip I have been 10 times in total, mostly to the West, California, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado and Idaho. Never once regretted any trip and experienced some seriously awesome sights, adventures and Weather, Extreme Heat, Massive Snow storms and the odd Dust devil and Tornados.

You will not be dissapointed. Go, Go, Go

the dogsblogocks

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
The National Parks along the west coast are pretty awesome. If you are forced to go to LA, I'd recommend going to the 6 Flags theme park (all rides are rollercoasters, go on the X2 especially!) and then get away from LA asap. I liked Utah alot. As far as cities go, New Orleans was a seriously cool place if you are into live music and nightlife. We drove through a blizzard to get to Gran Tetons/ Yellowstone only to find it was closed for the winter 2 weeks before we got there ahh well... a good excuse to go back there sometime.

Have you looked into getting a visa yet for a 6 or 12 month period? Depending on where you are from, you may be required to visit an American Consulate for an interview to get an extended holiday visa.

To be honest I was never really interested in going to the states untill I did a 5 week road-trip there and realised how beautiful the country actually is. Talk to the middle aged people at camgrounds etc.. they will give you the heads up on what to check out. Have fun!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by curiousrb
So I would like to go to the USA and I want to start planning a trip. This could be from about 6 months to a year and wanted to know some nice states

I like the outdoors so hiking, snowboarding are things I enjoy but I also want to experience a great American culture.

I am completely stuck on ideas so any American help or perhaps help from other people who have visited America would be much help!!

Thank you!
CRB

I don't mean to dilute the wonder's of America, however if you want the real American experience I have an Idea.

Find the most generic unknown town you can find.
Stay in a motel 6, buy a few cases of beer, and meander around the "town" for your entire trip.
Remain bored and tired, eat burgers, and chicken tenders with ranch.
Limit your spending to about $20 a day for food and gas.

If your lucky you'll get detained by the local authorities on one of the many excursions to find something meaningful to do. That is our culture on many broad scales. The majority of America isn't what you see on the news & commercials, and the limelight of big cities wears off quickly. People are isolated, the term 'Keyboard Warriors' comes to mind. The communities are limited and fluctuate poorly. Maybe you shall be lucky enough to hook up with one of the few 'cool' groups but if you were around on a long enough time scale, eventually they would let you down. Loyalty is only found during the hours when liquid courage is served.

I'm sure there are many other social cliches that American's fall victim too, but usually, over time, not during the span of week or two. Mainly, if you find yourself broke sometime during your trip, you're doing it right.

I don't mean to completely deter you from your plans. There are actually many good experiences to be had here, and from time to time people actually live life to its fullest. However, America is in a bleak state of mind right now. I'd avoid it for the next few years, then again life is short, live it to it's fullest and don't pay attention to the salty bastards that are Americans. Do you.

P.S. I'm pretty sure there are limited snowboarding opportunities in the America landscape this time of year (Colorado comes to mind). The Appalachian trail can be hiked from many different locations especially nice areas are TN/NC --> PA. The beaches here are nice, lots of culture in the historic districts, Boston and Annapolis, Charleston. I'd avoid the Gulf of Mexico and Cali at the moment, lot of environmental discourse in those regions atm. I'm sure plenty more could be said, but I'm not a travel agent. Virginia and the Carolinas are a great place to be.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I was lucky enough to visit the states in my teenage years. we went to California and onto the Grand Canyon. Which is the most breath taking thing I have ever seen. We also went to Yosemite National park and Death Valley. Amazing places to visit.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Washington state has a rain forest on one mountain range and then another mountain range with tons of passes for snowsports down through oregon. East of where I live the mountains are scattered with abandoned mining towns and incredible terrain. If you like hiking this is probably one of the best spots in the lower states because so much of the surrounding area is still completely untouched by the American machine.

Hoh Rain forest-

Coast of Hoh

Ice caves-

Index wall-

If you like water then the puget sound is what's up- scattered with islands in all sizes and shapes...

I live in a city just a bit north of seattle, and from my house to the puget sound is 10 minutes, from my house to the mountains is 25 minutes.

All pictures except the ice caves, and the rain forest, are within taken within 1 hour drive from my house. There are more ice caves near my house however...

Random pictures within 1 hour of my house-

I like to build houses out of the plentiful driftwood

And Oregon is alright too, then theres that California... Death Valley and the traveling boulders... Good stuff too. Too hot though and no winter sports...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Hiking and snowboarding... Uh.. Vermont? Isnt much to do in vermont though.. Perhaps colorado. Were you suggesting you were coming here for 6 months, or in 6 month? If you come for 6 months.. Id startt perhaps in vermont, then head to boston, or perhaps nyc. Maybe check out maryland crabs or maine lobsters.. If you wanted to make it an ats trip, we got nessy in vermont.. We got lachupacabra in the south I hear. D.c. Is always good for getting shot or sleeping with politicians.. Georgia guidestones.. Denver internation airport I hear has good art.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

DId you visit with a School? As did exactly the same thing, was it with Trek America?

thedogsblogocks

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Check out Western New York an area rich in history. People have been here since the early 1600's. Two great Lakes are within a short drive. Ski areas in the Southern teir. The Finger Lakes are with in a hour or so away. A very historic area and the place where womens Sufferage began. The Erie canal runs through here and was responsible for opening up the west during the 1800's. The Niagara power project started by Nikola tesla is near Niagara Falls.

Fort Niagara is at the mouth of the Mighty Niagara river. Settled by the French in the early 1600's. The border with Canada is a short drive.

In short this area is the best kept secret in the US. An incredible amount of stuff to see and a huge amount of history to experience.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The Great Smoky Mountains in East Tennessee and Western North Carolina are always worth a visit. Beautiful scenery, wonderful hiking trails, great camping areas. Cades Cove is a terrific place to see wild animals such as black bears, deer, turkeys, coyotes, racoons, etc.

Outer Banks in NC are also a great place to visit.

Have fun!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Well, I am biased, but have ever considered Alaska?
As far as I am concerned, there is no better place on the face of the earth, not just the USA.

If you love fishing and boating, there is no better place.
If scenery takes your breath away, there is no better place.
If you like National Geographic Magazine, there is no better place.

IMO

My home town:

Take an Alaskan cruise ship up from Washington State along the coast of Alaska and Canada, you won't regret it!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thedogsblogocks

No, it was with my family in the mid 90's. I would love to do the trip again now I am older.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Thanks everyone!

I'm sure America has it's down sides as you pointed out but I will be looking at all the sights to worry about those!
Yes I will definitely get a visa when I sort everything else out - I want to make the trip really worth while

I like the look of Oregon, as far as states go but it wont be till at least a year until I go, but it will be done!

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner but I've been busy busy

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Do what the rest of us want to do and go to Hawaii.

Seriously, the US may not be Canada or Russia but its not a little country and its geographically diverse.It takes 5 days of very hard driving to get from one side to the other. There are 50 states so your gonna get about 250 answers.

Your are also basically looking at 50 different countries regarding culture, life and ideals.

If I could pick one spot, it would be Sedona in Arizona. It is breathtaking. Then hit the rest of Arizona, the grand canyon, meteor crater, etc.

don't look to Arizona for culture, too much of a melting pot and the people are not very friendly.

If you want to make your search easier, just start with the National Parks. one of the best park systems in the world. Then branch out from those.

If you hit the DC area, look me up.

edit on 5-5-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
US is the best place to spend vacations.There are various places like Maxico,new york,los angles etc.There are various other countries like Brazil.West Indies to travel in America also.

top topics

join