It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fabian Sinkhole in Sweden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

This is a real and dangerous phenomenon. New shocking images clearly show the enormous pit in Sweden is expanding.

The 200 foot wide open pit is called the "Fabiangropen" (Fabian pit) and is in the Malmberget area is located at Gällivare, 75km from Kiruna, Sweden.

Source

Located in Malmberget a northern region of Sweden

I just came across this and thought you guys & gals would like to take a look at this incredible sinkhole in Sweden that opened up not too long ago.

The pit is square and 150×150 meters high and as you can see from the pictures it is quite close to some houses nearby.

Fears have not been subsided because from what nearby neighbors are saying the pit is actually expanding with loud sounds accompanied by tremors lasting upwards of 45 minutes at a time.

In one of the locals own words -

" I'm scared, I do not want to be alone in the house when it happens. It is so loud and it only gets louder and louder. It is like having an ariplane flying low above the house. It is just like the beginning of a volcano eruption, " said Berit Hannu who lives very close to the pit.

Pit as seen from space

Sinkholes are not uncommon but depending on who you ask some believe that they are increasing.

Do you think they are increasing? and if you do think they are increasing what is your theory or reasoning for the increase/cause?

I look forward to your response.

as an added bonus here is a video depicting some of the largest sinkholes ever recorded -

One explanation of how some sinkholes are formed -

edit on 28-4-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
The last one of the 10 sinkholes isn´t a sinkhole. Just wanted to say that. I live about 1.5 kilometers (nearly a mile) away from one. It was old and overgrown already when I was young. About 8-10 m in diameter and like 12-15m deep or so. We had to remove some wild boars that were trapped in it (its very steep). Well, we had to shoot them, because telling a 150kg meat packet to calm down so we can lift it out wasn´t cutting it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Hmm, accompanied with loud sounds. Sound familiar. Who knows maybe this is a sound that everyone is hearing that seems to be coming from the sky,. That does look scary.
edit on 28-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
hi - please use a translation tool to enable you to read :

this explaination

in synopsis - its a collapse above a mined chamber

the continuation of the mine gallery is clearly seen in :

[ the rectangular opening top right ]

one can only wonder why so much fear mongering and hype has been written about this on other websites

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Hi, nature watchers.

We had our BIG holes/slides too:
atlas.nrcan.gc.ca...

www.bukisa.com...

Will we get our truly "vertical" one, soon?

Blue skies.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
hi - please use a translation tool to enable you to read :

this explaination

in synopsis - its a collapse above a mined chamber

the continuation of the mine gallery is clearly seen in :

[ the rectangular opening top right ]

one can only wonder why so much fear mongering and hype has been written about this on other websites

Thank you for that link ignorant_ape.

I read about the ore-mining from the original article,Although I was uncertain if that was a before or after occurrence.

I am curious about what this "sinkhole's" exact origin is? man-made,natural or was it a collapse into a pre-existing mining tunnel?

Whether by natural or man made causes to me at this point is irrelevant.

I am curious about the tremors and loud noises emanating from the hole,if it is because of mining then no harm or foul,just fear mongering,attention seeking journalism.

Now if it is not because of mining,than that certainly piques my interest.

hopefully none of the mining tunnels are below or within close proximity of the houses for fear of something like this happening again in the near future.

Apologize for any mix up on my part with this story,I sincerely believed there may of been more to it

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
That sinkhole happened because of the mining activity that is going on in northern Sweden ...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
this also happened in Europe during large salt mining operations in the mid 1800's. parts of towns would sink into the ground from collapsing salt mine tunnels.

source: salt, a world history / mark kurlanski
edit on 4/28/2012 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Wow. How deep was this? Reminds me of an episode of Fringe. Where mini black holes just spontaneously happen.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter
The last one of the 10 sinkholes isn´t a sinkhole. Just wanted to say that. I live about 1.5 kilometers (nearly a mile) away from one. It was old and overgrown already when I was young. About 8-10 m in diameter and like 12-15m deep or so. We had to remove some wild boars that were trapped in it (its very steep). Well, we had to shoot them, because telling a 150kg meat packet to calm down so we can lift it out wasn´t cutting it.

Thank you for the response and information.

I did not watch the entire clip,I figured it only showed legitimate sink holes.

Originally posted by LausDeo
Wow. How deep was this? Reminds me of an episode of Fringe. Where mini black holes just spontaneously happen.

I believe around 200-300 feet deep,It said in the Swedish link above but I am not 100% sure on that.

ETA:

Originally the ceiling panel above the cavity 250 meters thick. It has since gradually thinned out and the cavity is moved upwards over the years.

Link
edit on 30-4-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I röde happaranda, hembränningsapparaten eksploderade.

new topics

top topics

join