It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boating to Cuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Looking for any advice , tips or links on boating over to Cuba . I live in Canada and have a 28 ft motorboat with twin 4.3 engines . I would either like to trailer the boat to the states and cross over or boat it down from Canada . Would like advice on which way would be better and what's involved in crossing to Cuba ? I will be leaving the boat docked in Varadero and live there 2 months of the year .

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Cheaper to take a plane...

...And possibly cheaper even to rent a boat while you are there (Including plane ticket too).
edit on 26-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
what you smuggeling?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Can't give you any advice can only tell you how jealous im am, Cuba is one of the coolest places ive ever been. Not sure how easy you will find it sailing back to the US from Cuba are you even allowed?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Actually the reason for getting the boat over is to use it to live on while we are there as opposed to staying on a resort or renting a casa particular !

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I would double check with some type of appropriate authority to find out if you're even allowed to go to Cuba, from the US. I don't think you are allowed to, even though you're Canadian.

Legally, you might have to travel down the coast, but outside of US waters, or you could run the risk of getting stuck in the states if arrested...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
reply to post by boncho

Actually the reason for getting the boat over is to use it to live on while we are there as opposed to staying on a resort or renting a casa particular !

Living on a 28 ft boat for two months doesn't seem like a vacation, and not even a sense of adventure... It would be uncomfortable to say the least. For adventure, I'd sooner take a kayak or canoe through the Canadian lakes...

To be comfortable to live, I'd say at least a 32-40 ft boat, but with the kind of money you would spend on gas, it would be so much cheaper just to fly and rent a villa. Seriously.

And I could understand if you were sailing, because sailing is a whole different animal, but the amount of fuel required to get down the coast, and the number of stops would be ridiculous...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I have met a few people who vacation and one who lives year round at Marina Darsena in Varadero and they swear by it !! As far as the fuel issue I want to know if you can trailer a boat to the Florida keys and make the crossing there ( 98 miles)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
reply to post by boncho

I have met a few people who vacation and one who lives year round at Marina Darsena in Varadero and they swear by it !! As far as the fuel issue I want to know if you can trailer a boat to the Florida keys and make the crossing there ( 98 miles)

Yeah, that's a big difference then boating down the coast. But then you still have cost of fuel driving down with a tow, and all the expenses in between.

The way gas prices are now, I honestly can't see it being worth it. Flights pop up to Cuba for 5-600 dollars sometimes tax incld.

Depending on where in Canada you are, that's about 4-5 gas tanks for the car, but I assume truck for towing? My truck was about $80 to fill last time I went.

So you are looking at around $400 roughly each way, plus cost of hotel stay unless you do shifts driving... throw in some food, etc. By the time you do it all, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

And for $600 you can rent a vacation apartment in Cuba for the month.

I can see where the boat might make up for some costs once you're there, but... personally I'd rather spend the time in a villa or apartment. To each their own though.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I hear what your saying ! We have looked into renting a casa particular (private house ) . There are many in Varadero for 25-35 dollars a night , but I like the idea of having a boat there and we could rent it out when we were not there , we have made a lot of Cuban and Canadians there over the years !

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: rick004
Hi,
I have good Experience of Forever House Boat. You can try this at foreverhouseboats.com

top topics

join