It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: Perpetual Ocean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Perpetual Ocean

NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center Scientific Visualization Studio has produced an amazing and beautiful… nay, mesmerizing video on the worlds ocean currents.

This visualization shows ocean surface currents around the world during the period from June 2005 through December 2007. The visualization does not include a narration or annotations; the goal was to use ocean flow data to create a simple, visceral experience.

NASA's ECCO2 project by NASA/JPL set out to create an accurate synthesis of all the worlds’ ocean and sea ice data. It is based on a MIT model of ocean currents and NASA satellite data.

This visualization was produced using NASA/JPL's computational model called Estimating the Circulation and Climate of the Ocean, Phase II or ECCO2.. ECCO2 is high-resolution model of the global ocean and sea-ice. ECCO2 attempts to model the oceans and sea ice to increasingly accurate resolutions that begin to resolve ocean eddies and other narrow-current systems, which transport heat and carbon in the oceans. The ECCO2 model simulates ocean flows at all depths, but only surface flows are used in this visualization. The dark patterns under the ocean represent the undersea bathymetry. Topographic land exaggeration is 20x and bathymetric exaggeration is 40x.

It just goes to show, science can be beautiful too. What cold be more beautiful?

How about color?

I spent a silly long time getting these images to fit together perfectly, and in the end I had to paint on it to make it look right… so hope you enjoy, this was hours of work.

cheers,
~piano

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Van Gogh comes alive
edit on 27-3-2012 by WordsAreAvenues because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Great, so it wasn't enough that NASA was lying to us about the night sky now they have to make up lies about the oceans too.

S&F.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by WordsAreAvenues

First thing i thought as well. I have often wondered if vincent had a kind of sense to these patterns in nature as part of his genius/madness. Starry night is a good example..

edit on 27-3-2012 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
very amazing and beautiful

i wonder if the ocean currents are still the same around the gulf of mexico since the BP oil spill

id imagine with all that oil the water there would be much more thick and warm... probably would change the currents a good amount from what they would have looked like previously
also curious if this video shows that or represents the gulfs original currents tho it was very interesting

i loved all the patterns of little spirals

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing this. I'd never imagined the currents were so complex and so varied. In a word....WOW.

I think I might just build a little section of my site around some of this. I love the Gov for free content, and this is just mesmerizingly beautiful!
edit on 27-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by trust_no_one
id imagine with all that oil the water there would be much more thick and warm... probably would change the currents a good amount from what they would have looked like previously

There wouldn't be any noticeable differences from an astronomical point-of-view, which is how this data was modeled.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by imherejusttoread

Originally posted by trust_no_one

There wouldn't be any noticeable differences from an astronomical point-of-view, which is how this data was modeled.

I'm not so sure you're correct:
NASA

Scientists and agencies monitoring the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico are keeping a wary eye on changes in the nearby Loop Current, a warm ocean current that is part of the Gulf Stream.

here's a more conspiritorial site that analized the NASA data. It definately had an affect:
link

“The Loop Current simply stalled,” Zangari noted sadly “and we have no idea if it can reorganize itself, because now we're dealing with troubling unknowns.”

But I guess their worst fears were not realized or we were not told. I can't find any current NASA articles talking about it, so I hope things went back to normal... more or less :/

But what an after affect:

The data being released, which was collected by the NASA missions to the Gulf, shows that the toxic compounds released from the BP spill became airborne, and significant quantities were brought onshore by precipitation, thereby exposing coastal populations to chemical poisoning. This represents something new and unique not observed in previous oil spills. It helps explain why there were numerous reports by people living along the Gulf Coast that it was raining oil and dispersant during the summer months.

edit on 27-3-2012 by pianopraze because: ...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Oh my, I gasped, OP, that is a stunning visual representation of the global ocean currents, like looking at the veins of it, if you will. It honestly surprised me to see just how active the currents really are, very awesome!
S & F

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
I'm not so sure you're correct

Good information.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Beautiful, really love the Perpetual Ocean in color.
Cold, and salty!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Beautiful, really love the Perpetual Ocean in color.
Cold, and salty!

it is quite beautiful.

I finally finished uploading the color movie... it's not as long, but you are right.

svs.gsfc.nasa.gov...

This visualization shows the Gulf Stream stretching from the Gulf of Mexico all the way over towards Western Europe. This visualization was designed for a very wide, high resolution display (e.g., a 5x3 hyperwall display).

This visualization was produced using NASA/JPL's computational model called Estimating the Circulation and Climate of the Ocean, Phase II or ECCO2. ECCO2 is high resolution model of the global ocean and sea-ice. ECCO2 attempts to model the oceans and sea ice to increasingly accurate resolutions that begin to resolve ocean eddies and other narrow-current systems which transport heat and carbon in the oceans.The ECCO2 model simulates ocean flows at all depths, but only surface flows are used in this visualization. There are 2 versions provided: one with the flows colored with gray, the other with flows colored using sea surface temperature data. The sea surface temperature data is also from the ECCO2 model. The dark patterns under the ocean represent the undersea bathymetry. Topographic land exaggeration is 20x and bathymetric exaggeration is 40x.

Please give credit for this item to:
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center Scientific Visualization Studio

Using NASA Imagery and Linking to NASA Web Sites10.13.05

Still Images, Audio Files and Video
NASA still images, audio files and video generally are not copyrighted. You may use NASA imagery, video and audio material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits and Internet Web pages. This general permission extends to personal Web pages.

edit on 27-3-2012 by pianopraze because: typo

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

edit on 27-3-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Goto 1:08 and you will see the pacific current

hehe... i see you saw that and redacted, star for stopping buy anyways

Thanks for taking the time to stop in!
edit on 27-3-2012 by pianopraze because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
reply to post by amongus

Goto 1:08 and you will see the pacific current

hehe... i see you saw that and redacted, star for stopping buy anyways

Thanks for taking the time to stop in!
edit on 27-3-2012 by pianopraze because: (no reason given)

Haha! Yes, I watched the color vid, and posted the west coast comment...

Foot in mouth! Great thread!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Awesome video! I must say the first thing to come to mind on the blue pics,
was Van Gogh's Starry Night.

The other thing that comes to mind is his self portrait, well one of them anyways,
has the swirls behind him. The one he did later in his art, which is intriguing

I love the ocean, it is mysterious, powerful and full of life!
Thanks again for a really refreshing thread!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
NASA put something out without Jim Oberg rattling on about it?

Shills everywhere seizure with disbelief.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Looks a lot like the Sun.

I would assume that it would also look a lot like the Magnetosphere too...

It's beautiful though. Almost like a 16th Century Painting.

new topics

top topics

join