It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The catastrophic effects of a very warm winter.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It's expected to get into the 80's today here in Texas.

We didn't really have a winter. Most winters have at least a week straight of weather in the 30's or so. This year we had max 3 days below 40 degrees in a row. We had our first days of spring in the 70's...back in January

I think this is easier than people make it out to be. Climate change/disruption. It won't be every year, and it won't be in every city all the time, but more bizarre weather is likely to occur and even worse than this year, as time passes.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Whats the problem with a warm winter.. This is a great thing!! That means the snowbirds wont come back to my Florida area!!! whooo hoooo!!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I live in the Okanagan and this winter was anything but normal. Our coldest time was in Janourary and only lasted 4 days. Normally, we get to -15 to -20 for a few weeks. As well, in Janurary we went from -3 some days to +5 the next. Very unusual numbers for the region. As well, we had local plants and insects coming out in mid Feburary durring +6 days. Now though it seems to be getting back on track to normal spring temperatures and rain paterns.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I'm in Scotland, last winter I wore 5 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of trousers, hat and a lot of top warmth, the temp was -20 C and we had snow, the temp was colder than usual but the snow was norm. Winter just passed, there was no snow, none, we had maybe 2/3 days at -7/8 C, can't recall a winter like that before. Make of that what you will.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I am in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas. We had a long mild winter. Hardly any measurable snow or ice but we had several cold days and nights. The ticks are out full force already and the pollen is overwhelming at times but I could get used to temps like this.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Central Texas. I've been worried about our situation here for the past few years. Drought seems to be the theme every year and with the non-winter we've had, this summer is sure to be the same as previous summers. The last couple of years I've noticed a great number of established trees were dying out as the ponds and lakes in those areas suffered as well. It makes me wonder....is the desert climate of West Texas growing larger or migrating to consume Central Texas as well? It seems the signs are every where. Can any one else from Texas comment on this? Desertification?

TXML

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Just west of Toronto here. It is March and we have aphids - hate 'em! I have been enjoying the ridiculously mild winter too but it creeps me out. Daffodils are up, Lily's are on their way, as are the tulips. Wayyy too early.

The other thing I hate about a mild winter, is we have a cottage on Lake Huron and a mild winter usually means high bacterial levels in the lake for the summer, so limited water fun

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

I have been trying to find information on the stink bug invasion. (now they are showing up in Europe, Sorry!!) and there is nothing.
Some say they may not be that bad because the mild winter didn't force them indoors.

Perhaps. Ive heard tons about that in this area of Maryland, but where I am, I see very little stinkbug numbers.

I once saw one inside my house last year. Only one Ive ever seen inside. Apparently they cluster in certain areas... my area is not one of them. I think my house was built pretty well too, its pretty solid and theres never really been an insect problem of any type. Built in the 40s... that must be why... quality was still valued back then

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Same here; a string of 70/80 degree days in January, bordering on a couple weeks. Insects started their life cycles then, Im guessing. Thats when the small versions of the bugs came out. Now, they are just the huge versions not normally seen until August.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

I'm in NC too,
Had to mow my lawn today, after I chased a couple of black snakes away from my riding mower (They were under the tarp).

Glad they weren't Copperheads

We've had so much rain here, my whole 1.5 acre yard is really gooey! (even though my lot is on a hill)

I also caught a couple of mice in my kitchen back in January! (couldn't figure out where the empty Toastchee package in the box of 10 came from)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by minettejo

Same here in the North west of UK!! Billions of ladybirds/bugs in my garden!

The frogs in my pond are full of spawn and piggy backing, is that normal for March?

Plenty of mice about too, inside and out.

I've only been out for short periods but my face is tender, like it's sunburnt, the new leaves are out, some shrubs have bloomed, the tips of the new growth on my plants are burnt.

I am enjoying the weather but am concerned that it may have considerable negative consequences at some point.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join