It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Official" Star Trek thread

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

The new starwars will suck more than the new star trek.
Starwars never had some the scope and depth in the characters as startrek so I cant see starwars as having anywhere to go but recycling the same old story about the fight between the light and dark side of the force using lots of CGI and tv looking actors. Omg its gonna be a disaster.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

tadaman
reply to post by AthlonSavage

well an aircraft carrier would only be about half as big than one of the star trek starships with few exceptions.

1100 feet for a nimitz.

and then we face the problem of how big the ships in star trek actually are

lets say that a more modern ship from TNG was about 600 to 700 meters so about 2000 feet.

The USS vengeance is then about the size of an imperial star destroyer at around 1600 meters..over 5000 feet.

The new enterprise is as big as a galaxy class....

So star trek ships would be larger than real ships by allot. Several football fields...(300 feet in the US)-so the USS vengeance is about 16 and a half football fields long....

I think that the relaunch made HUGE ASS ships to one up original star trek. I am not a big fan of the idea. I liked the progressively larger ships as time passed. TOS to TNG having increasing sizes made sense as technology was improved.

Those are HUGE Ships, my GOD! Relative to a kilometer in length, they are GIGANTIC!

Thanks so much for bringing this all into perspective, as to the relative sizes involved. Excellent Trekkie factoid.

Regards,

NAM

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

AthlonSavage

The new starwars will suck more than the new star trek.
Starwars never had some the scope and depth in the characters as startrek so I cant see starwars as having anywhere to go but recycling the same old story about the fight between the light and dark side of the force using lots of CGI and tv looking actors. Omg its gonna be a disaster.

You're probably right, but they are really working hard on the story-line with tons of consultation with Lucas, trying to capture the feel of the original - they HAVE to hit it out of the park, or else, but I'm not happy with Abrams (did I get that right?) the director who ruined Star Trek, he likes to use distracting effects like lens flares, and you can't even really see what's happening it's all blurred swirling nonsense - you're right he'll probably totally mess it up and ruin Star Wars also.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Consultation with Lucas lol that's why it will fail.
The original starwars movie the best of all of the by far the screen play was not written by Lucas.
Lucas is an introvert with a childish ego he will interfere enough to make sure it fails.

I agree on the Lens flares the action scene with the Klingons on that planet was abysmal I could hardly see what was going on just lots of flashes and people jumping around.
edit on 1-11-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I'm a huge trekkie, watched all the original series back when I was a kid, and am really greatfull to Abrams, without him the Star trek franchise would have probably died out.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I've been an avid trekkie for most of my 47 years and I seem to be drawn towards making 2 hr.CGI movies of some of the paperback novels about TOS.Probably won't ever happen,but,as a fan,I'd like to compare my imagination to theirs.Some of the books held more excitement than the movies. btw can anybody tell me the name of the novel where kirk and crew ended up inside a black hole called the kabreigny object with picard and his enterprise to save zephram Cochran and the companion?

edit on 17-12-2013 by yarblis because: forgot to ask my question

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Star Trek is great scifi, almost the best. The mmorpg is fun to play as well, I have 3 lvl 50's. If only the ships were able to transform into huge robots, otherwise they would lose to the Autobots/Decepticons

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
After a very long break from ATS i'm back.

Here's a great web series(in case some of you have missed it)

Enjoy

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
interesting thread

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to: Phantom traveller

I'm glad you posted the reboot episodes. I had heard about them and now I can watch them when I get time.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

You're welcome.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Another great fan made/indy production.
Prelude to Axanar

The full movie "Axanar" will be ready next year.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Us Trekkies need to get on this! We have to prove we're the number one fanbase!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I think I post this once a year but just in case and for the sake of tradition this year:

Site:
www.lcarsx32.com...

I miss XP for the easily programmable voice command freeware that was available. I wish I still had my old machine with everything set up and running under the old beta of this. I went months without touching a piece of plastic. I also had so many trek flash animations that would pop up for different events...it was damn near a movie prop. Extremely functional too. Better. The case for it wasnt a TNG mod but I made it futuristic looking. Ah the memories.

This shell works up to Windows 7 flawlessly.(tested) It can also be paired with other LCARS type executables to replace EVERYTHING you would normally use for the most part giving you the perfect home 24th century machine.

edit on 10 1 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
In lieu of any new, well, news on shows/movies, indie or otherwise, the next expansion of Star Trek Online debuts October 14th:
Star Trek Online: Delta Rising

Just as a bit of a tease for Trek fans not yet playing, they've already had Zachary Quinto do a little voice work as the U.S.S. Khitomer's EMH in a storyline early in the game, Michael Dorn reprised his role as Worf, and Tim Russ is currently doing ongoing voice work as Tuvok. To add to that, for the Delta Rising expansion, they got Ethan Phillips to reprise Neelix, Garret Wang to reprise Harry Kim, Jeri Ryan to reprise 7 of 9, and Robert Picardo to reprise The Doctor.

I hate to come off as a fangirl here, but it really does work well as a "git yer fix" Trekertainment solution between indie projects

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I was going to post the announcement trailer to the thread, but they debuted this today for STO. Yeah, even I'm going "Dude. Whoa." and I'm pretty seasoned in the game XD

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Star Trek has inspired such loyalty in so many people. It's a mystery to me how it worms it's way into someone's heart and just refuses to leave.

I started watching Star Trek TOS in the 80s when the reruns were on after school. We didn't have a TV so I had to have my mother take me to my grandmother's house every day. I didn't miss many.

I thought TNG was utterly ridiculous at first. Especially with a bald captain with a British accent. I didn't like Riker until he grew the beard. Smartest thing Frakes did. I don't know what it was but it literally made his character much more likable.

I have to admit most of the first couple of TNG seasons were horrible but "Q Who?" was definitely where it really grabbed me. The third season was, well, epic. I will never forget the agony of waiting to see what would happen after "Mr Worf, fire".

Like all Trek, even TNG had some terrible episodes but when it was good, it was epic. I always thought it was stupid of them to end it when they did. They obviously didn't quite capture the same magic with DS9, Voyager or Enterprise. DS9 wasn't bad but I just never really got into it.

Anyway, I just watched "Space Seed" and "TWOK" a couple of days ago on the same day and 30 years has not really diminished the quality of that movie at all.

I guess Star Trek will always be a part of me to some extent. At some point, I started falling out of love with the peace and love message (especially after I started finding left wing politics to be very problematic in the real world).

Nevertheless, there is still enough meat on the bone for the intellect to digest even if you're not entirely in love with the Roddenberry vision. The man still was undeniably brilliant.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The Delta rising game looks good and its free to play.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join