It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Official" Star Trek thread

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
What seems strange to me is how in the older star trek before the hallow deck, how could they live aboard a space ship for years on end? Well I guess that ship found endless habitable planets so they seem to have time on a new planet ever week but, in real life they wouldn't find that many planets. So if there wasn't a hallow deck then wouldn't they go nuts eventually? Maybe you could go for the odd space walk to clear your head or something.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Well, I think the idea for TOS is that each episode was one of the times they did find a planet to stop at. If you look at it from an "everyday" perspective - Star Trek ships are floating cities. People would do the same things we do now while indoors, because we don't have holodecks. I'm sure there would be gardens, gyms, movie theaters, and the like scattered throughout the decks. And, in TOS we see the main characters frequenting the canteen - there are always people hanging out there. Interesting questions.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm presently watching every episode of every season of Star Trek TNG on Netflix and I'm loving it!

They really came up with some very trippy, thought provoking scenarios, like when Beverly Crusher got caught in a warp field bubble and everyone started disappearing, that was freaky. Or the one where they got caught in a time-warp where the Enterprise was a warship instead of exploration, in conflict with the Klingon Empire and Tasha Yar was back on for a guest appearance, alive again.

I love most everything about it, and am even growing a Riker beard for "Movember". lol

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Haha, right on NAM. TNG will always be my favorite, but DS9 and Voyager did well for themselves, too.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

They did well, yes but nothing beats TNG imho, except for a few or perhaps I should say more than a few episodes of the original series, when Roddenberry was at his peak. I'd have to say that my favorite character was Spock, he really held it all together I think, while allowing Captain Kirk to be perhaps more flamboyant by comparison "BONES! SCOTTIE! SPOCK!" you just have to emphasize those three names, with exclamation marks and you've got the perfect Kirk imitation. And then maybe repeat it again for additional dramatic emphasis.. : )

He was a Mason, Roddenberry don't know if anyone is aware of that, and I'm not sure what it means but I think it's significant.

Right now I'm at Season 4 Episode 19 with Lieutenant Reginald Endicott Barclay III (just looked it up, interesting factoid such a name) making a reappearance, although where he's been in the interim they haven't offered any explanation I guess he was kept well hidden away in the bowels of Engineering while everyone else went about their business.. poor Barclay.

...so I've got a ways to go yet to get to the end of it (seen some of the shows more than once previously in years gone by) because (just checed) there are 7 Seasons with about 27-29 episodes per season, and I skipped over a few in seasons 1 and 2 which I can return to when I reach the end, so let's just say that I'm getting my moneys worth for my relatively small monthly Netflix fee, that's pretty good entertainment value for the money if you ask me, and they're always working on some profound mystery of some kind, together, each playing their part and their role in the management and operation of the ship, each of whom is very much interdependent - imagine taking away Data or Commander Troi it just wouldn't be the same.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
For anyone who's a fan of Star Trek TNG, I invite you to watch the whole series again, which streams on Netflix.

It's something to do when you don't have anything else to do, and it's fascinating and there are lessons to be gleaned from it. Puts a new spin on things for me sometimes, especially when I really consider our collective future and the degree to which current "PTB" have dropped the ball.

Puts me in good humor and lifts me out of depression, some good old fashioned Star Trek like chicken noddle soup for the soul.. : ) (I don't use ATS smilies any more).

Best regards,

NAM aka Bob

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Kirk, gotta love him! LOL

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

NewAgeMan
reply to post by ottobot

They did well, yes but nothing beats TNG imho, except for a few or perhaps I should say more than a few episodes of the original series, when Roddenberry was at his peak. I'd have to say that my favorite character was Spock, he really held it all together I think, while allowing Captain Kirk to be perhaps more flamboyant by comparison "BONES! SCOTTIE! SPOCK!" you just have to emphasize those three names, with exclamation marks and you've got the perfect Kirk imitation. And then maybe repeat it again for additional dramatic emphasis.. : )

I'll admit, TOS had some great shows, I think the main problem was a lack of character evolvement, though. For me, the movies outdid the series itself by a long shot. I remember "KHAAAAAN!!!" from when I was quite small - my mother was a TOS trekkie and bought every single one of the VHS films, haha.

He was a Mason, Roddenberry don't know if anyone is aware of that, and I'm not sure what it means but I think it's significant.

Yeah, I don't know what that means. I don't understand a lot of what the Mason stuff means - sometimes, I think all of that stuff is just a way to throw people off from what is truly going on. I don't know, though, most of the time I just think of it as a medieval guild whose symbols and rituals have lost a lot of the original relevance & meaning (similar to old religions).

Right now I'm at Season 4 Episode 19 with Lieutenant Reginald Endicott Barclay III (just looked it up, interesting factoid such a name) making a reappearance, although where he's been in the interim they haven't offered any explanation I guess he was kept well hidden away in the bowels of Engineering while everyone else went about their business.. poor Barclay.
Well, he was never meant to be a main character. He really just pops in every so often. I think he's a good character because he's relatable and humorous. He did end up with more face time in Voyager, at least.

...they're always working on some profound mystery of some kind, together, each playing their part and their role in the management and operation of the ship, each of whom is very much interdependent - imagine taking away Data or Commander Troi it just wouldn't be the same.
Haha... I don't know... I could definitely have done without a few of the Troi-centric episodes. Some of them were truly annoying to me. haha (Yes, agree, these smileys are hideous.)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

NewAgeMan
reply to post by ottobot

I didn't think it would be good but it was an absolutely fantastic episode. For a time Barclay became the smartest and the most advanced and the most confident human being, in history! He took over the computer and became one with it while expanding his mind and power to the nth degree - not spoiling it though for those who haven't seen it.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

ottobot

LOL!

The Tykens Rift episode, with the discovery of the USS Bratain floating adrift, everyone aboard having gone insane and killed each other, to a one, with the exception of one, lone, horrified, staring vacant Betazoid man/crewmember, the Enterprise thereafter suffering the very same strange effects (going insane, increasingly so), unable to move (no engines which need normal space to function relative to), having also fallen into the Rift along with the free floating and adrift, and stuck, Brattain, the scene of an absolute massacre.

That was just a few episodes ago, for me.. : )

Which, like many of these episodes do, for me anyway, in my own experience, triggered something very interesting based upon my own research into the unusual properties and coincidences inherent in our own earth-moon-sun system, which are profound and I hope to do an EPIC thread on it one of these days, will use that clip (which also adds humor which I love, and a bit of a fun jab at the Troi character).

"Eyes in the dark... one moon, circles."

Because she was Betazoid, she was the only one among them who could dream, the rest unable to enter into REM sleep, and so was having these "nightmares" in relation to the retrieved, alive but catatonic Betazoid who was the only person left alive on the Brattain, in attempting to communicate with him, which was reflecting itself in her dreamlife but he's only otherwise able to string together incoherent thoughts over his abject state of catatonic horror when she interrogates him during the day to try to find out what happened and thus somehow find a solution for the Enterprise to elude the same fate as the Brattain with everyone going MAD.

Somehow they deduce, with Data's and Geordi's help in examining the scientific implications of the Rift, that another ship of some kind might be trapped on the other side of the Tykens Rift and was attempting to communicate with Troi via her nightmares, the means by which they would be able to escape the Rift, together by forming a powerful explosion comprised of elements contained on either or the other's ship, with the Enterprise contributing the element Hydrogen, which Troi recognizes as Data is scanning among the Enterprise's stockpile of available elements - in recognizing the configuration of "one moon circles", the "eyes in the dark" representing the binary star system relative to which they were both trapped by the Rift.

Moving on.. although that wasn't a bad description of the episode if I do say so myself, this, is what occurred to me.. as a result of watching that episode.

The Earth is also the place where - "one moon circles"

which is an unusual property, one giant moon (one quarter of the size of it's host planet), perfectly balancing and regulating the entire flow, and evolution and cycle of life like a cornerstone and a steady hand for the purpose of long term evolutionary development and allowing and creating the very framework for the life we know and love,. It's also the only such configuration in our solar system.
If a message or part of the message, it could be taken to represent Hydrogen - the first and simplest most fundamental element in the universe, driving the stars, with one electron circling the nucleus.

So if there IS a message in the integer ratio's of the earth-moon-sun system/congiiguration, which I am convinced there indeed is and I WILL PROVE IT here at ATS, it also conveys the message of the simplicity of the fundamental building block of hydrogen and as a building block for all life, you know like a message in a bottle, and it's there, to be found, I'm serious, just read the book Who Built the Moon? (while ignoring their conclusion which takes the grandfather paradox to new heights we'll just leave it at that, but the proof of a "message" in the relationship, as a progenitur to life on earth and, as a message (of super-intelligent design) intended for none other than we (the measurers) ourselves in the very midst of life as we know it, includng last but not least, human life and our own experience, is there, to be discovered and explored as I have. It's REALLY trippy I highly recommend it to one and all

it might change the way you look at the world and yourself and this whole notion of "child of God" or of a "first father" of Creation, with us not only included but intended and if that weren't enough given a "wink and a nod" from the father of creation (or unknown creative agency) in the form of this cosmic message in a bottle.

Seems solipsistic perhaps I realize but it's not. Because if this kind of thing is possible from a first/last cause in eternity, then who knows what other tricks "God" (unknown creative agency) would have up his sleeve.. anything is quite obviously possible, that is a rational and logical deduction from observation.

We are the intended outcome you see, but not without a signal of sorts that we truly are the beloved of God, for real. A rational basis for "faith" and it's FUNNY! How did "he" KNOW?!!! - that's what we're left asking ourselves. It's breathtaking, both in it's implication and it's potential for humor and JOY when we finally catch up to the message (intended for our receipt) and by measuring interpret and recognize it's true meaning and implication now matter how much it might stretch our imagination as to how such a thing could be brought about by expectation and anticipation (not by acccident) from the very origin of creation to the present day! Talk about miracles! LOL

Thank you Star Trek.

Best Regards,

NAM

edit on 30-10-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Hey.

I love star trek.

I dont know what else to say....so um....yeah,

STAR TREK! *jazz hands

EDIT:

Ok I got one....

Most people know to say "live long and prosper".....but many dont know that is a traditional response when someone (vulcan) says "Peace and long life"

EDIT TO ADD:
Oh, and I am a little thrown off by the new ship sizes for the relaunch.

The USS Vengeance is bigger than a galaxy class. The new constitution class is as big as a sovereign class....

Its a little nuts.

Also, Wouldnt the klingons look more like the augments....or old school klingons since the events of "enterprise" still had to have taken place in that time line....

If it is an alternate reality all together then starfleet would still have the enhanced embryos in storage from the Eugenics wars, hence not needing to find the botany bay adrift in space to get their hands on genetically enhanced humans.....

AND....

Wouldnt the vulcans just find a race of proto vulcans as seen in TNG and incorporate them into their new society...

They are not an endangered species just because their planet was destroyed....they migrated there after they split off from the romulans...so they just lost their capital, and a significant number of their people....they arent an endangered species as implied by young spock.

ANNNNND

Nero was just chilling for years with a super advanced ship from the future and all he could think of was to blow up vulcan to get even? HE could have given Romulus his ship and had them become the greatest power in the alpha quadrant....even convinced them to exterminate both Vulcans and humans....

But no....he just wandered around....waiting for a dumb little ship with spock....

and how did a miner figure out quantum mechanics and temporal theory enough to calculate the exact point and time when a random artificial singularity sent another ship into the past.....

And why would spock have a thousand times more red matter if all he needed was a drop to form the singularity in the first place....why have even 2 drops of it, let alone a huge quantity on board which he wouldnt need....

edit on 10 30 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
You know how the relaunch should go?

They should cross over accidentally into the terran empire reality

and in the terran reality....the canon universe also shows up....looking for old spock...where he is finally brought home...or offered such and refuses....but instead asks for the consciousness of the vulcan people's ancestors to be shared with those of new vulcan..including copies of whatever was lost in the planets destruction...

So the alternate reality we saw in the canon universe known as the terran empire reality would be a sort of bridge between relaunch and original series..

edit on 10 30 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
star trek craps on starwars, star trek is made for adults not twelves year old kids.
The new star trek movies /crew does not come close to the original crew.
The next generation was a great extension of the original series
Live long and prosper

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

The enterprise is the size of a large aircraft carrier and people live for years on them, with some periods of shore leave. In star trek series they had episodes where they find planets for shore leave.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

well an aircraft carrier would only be about half as big than one of the star trek starships with few exceptions.

1100 feet for a nimitz.

and then we face the problem of how big the ships in star trek actually are

lets say that a more modern ship from TNG was about 600 to 700 meters so about 2000 feet.

The USS vengeance is then about the size of an imperial star destroyer at around 1600 meters..over 5000 feet.

The new enterprise is as big as a galaxy class....

So star trek ships would be larger than real ships by allot. Several football fields...(300 feet in the US)-so the USS vengeance is about 16 and a half football fields long....

I think that the relaunch made HUGE ASS ships to one up original star trek. I am not a big fan of the idea. I liked the progressively larger ships as time passed. TOS to TNG having increasing sizes made sense as technology was improved.

edit on 10 31 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

The best enterprise was the one from the startrek motion picture, it had a real look and feel of a real starship all all levels.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

The motion picture brought home the reality and feel of how warp jump really is, that is never brought out in later tvs series or movies
edit on 31-10-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   

agreed. I even like the TOS version before the refit.

It was a simple, yet beautiful design.

The new relaunch version reminds me of "lost in space" or something. too bubbly. The interior looks like an ultra modern night club or something. Engineering looks like the interior of steam ship. I just dont like it.

I also dont like that there are NO LCARS. I hate the shiny knobs and levers. Okuda LCARS looked the best, and were the heart of the "star trek" feel.

edit on 10 31 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

I hate the new star trek movies they are basically gay and wimpy. The new captain kirks his voice sounds like a whiny kid

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

True, I think Abrams blew it and ruined it. Hope he doesn't do the same thing with the new Star Wars.. I think they'll get that right (hoping).

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join