It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what!??!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I don't get the big deal about 2012. I have never understood why people are so positive that something catastrophic will happen this year. So what if the Mayan Long Count Calendar ends it's current cycle this year.

Based on our modern way of interpreting the flow of time, the last cycle ended on September 18, 1618. The next cycle after this one ends on March 26, 2407. The debate over the Mayan part of it seems to be that there are no written references on their calendar after December 21, 2012. So bleeping what? Wikipedia shows the Mayan Long Count Calendar with dates ranging from August 11, 3114 BCE- October 13, 4772 CE. Does that mean that the world was formed 5100 years ago? No.

Does it mean....especially since Wikipedia now holds more sway of most of the internet as the definitive resource on everything, that in October 4772 the world will end? Their calendar doesn't show any time past then.

Of course not. It's the Mayans we are all interested in. The ones who described the creation of man by the gods as a 3 part event. The first being humans were made of mud. But mud...if not kept wet, will soon crumble. So the next attempt at creating man was to make him out of wood. But..alas...wood....sadly...has no soul. So, man soon lost interest in his "gods." The gods were angry and destroyed the woodmen with water and rain.

Perhaps, if they had had the rain idea earlier, we could all quite easily be watching female...and male for that matter mud wrestling on a very regular basis. But nope.

Many people here on ATS and elsewhere for that matter seem to believe in the Mayans. They blindly put their trust in the people who finally decided the gods, had to be made out of......wait for it.....

corn.

It's no wonder then that corn became a sacred symbol and crop of most all of the "native" people of the Americas. To be quite honest though, I wasn't aware the bag of frozen corn I have in my freezer currently had a soul any more than my front door does.

But I didn't make this thread to just rip on the Mayans. Or to rip on them at all for that matter. I'm here today to talk to you about the number which represents the current year. And my thoughts on the matter. If the gods have decreed this particular year is the last one on earth, then SO WHAT?

If this year doesn't represent the end of times, but maybe something else entirely, still...what does it matter? What can we do about it? NOTHING!!!
The very same people who claim to be either Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Southern Baptist, Catholic, Evangelical, or whatever doesn't even seem to realize they are all worshiping the same god. And these people...the ones who worship the same god....claim their is indeed...some order to the universe. There is a plan...their god has a plan for them. Yet...they also claim to believe in the concept of freewill. You can't claim to believe in predestination and then also claim to believe in random...non linear...freewill. On a small scale...yes....it is possible.

But not on a larger, global, humankind wide scale. It doesn't work that way. God might indeed have a plan for your life. It might be to infect you with boils, then infest you with plagues, or it might be that you sit around on your ass all day long, never attempt to make a difference in the world, and suddenly you win the Powerball lottery.

If god has a plan for you, or if the gods have preordained the year 2012 to be a world changing...or ending year, then there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. Except maybe sit around and make sensational threads on ATS all for the power of the mighty stars and flags. So it doesn't matter. NOTHING matters. Not at all. There is nothing we can do.

So...why are we worried? I think most people need something to believe in. For one reason or another. They can't handle the fact that they...or YOU...are in control of your own life. You live it like you choose. So we just hop on the bus, and become a passenger on the road of life.

All preordained
A prisoner in chains
A victim of venomous fate
Kicked in the face
You can't pray for a place
In heaven's unearthly estate
quoted lyrics copyrighted by Neil Peart and Rush.

Here's a little inside secret for EVERYONE. The world will not end on December 21, 2012. Nor will it end any time soon. Unless we don't get our fat, lazy asses off of that bus, and start doing something that matters. We might end up causing the end of time...or the end of our time through the simple power of suggestion.

We all survived Y2K. And I assure you, unless we allow the trigger to be pulled, we will survive Y2012 as well.
The gods won't intervene, nor have they preordained anything.
Why are we here then? Because we're here.

Each of us
A cell of awareness.
Imperfect and incomplete.
Genetic blends,
With uncertain ends.
On a fortune hunt that's far too fleet.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill.
I will choose a path that's clear;
I will choose freewill.
copyrighted same as above.

So then....."So what?" If you stay on the bus....then there is no so what. It won't matter. The world will eventually end, but at the rate we're headed, it might end sooner than nature expects it too.

For the record....I don't believe in any gods, predestination, or that the world will end by gods or alien intervention this year. And this thread didn't end up where I expected it too either.

Stop waiting on the world to end, doing nothing but stockpiling canned foods, and spreading sensationalism.
Get off the damn bus, and go make a difference. Waiting for the inevitable will actually speed it up.

edit on 22-3-2012 by webpirate because: spelling

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I have similar feelings

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't understand why people don't get flustered considering we are about to enter the age of April here in less than a couple weeks. OMG

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

So your telling me... the world will end in 2012?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Thanks for that link...I hadn't seen your post on that until just now. And yeah....we do seem to agree on it!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by de Thor

Sure...if that's what you want to believe. Stay on that bus. But that light at the end of the tunnel is really an oncoming train.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

Originally posted by de Thor

Sure...if that's what you want to believe. Stay on that bus. But that light at the end of the tunnel is really an oncoming train.

What bus are you on? The 4 o'clock to Moscow?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
you have just blown my mind....
eats his tin of green giant sweetcorn
to become closer to the gods

lol
in theory arent we all made out of the same stuff?
energy....
Einstein says energy equals mass or E = Mc 2
therefore we are all brothers and sisters to the same energetic source (big bang)

that is all good day
2012 is a number of four digits
DO NOT let four digits ruin your life (or whats left of it depending how you feel)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insearchofthetruth1987
you have just blown my mind....
eats his tin of green giant sweetcorn
to become closer to the gods

Try this one on then...lol. I decided that while writing this thread, that the modern "tree of knowledge" is Wikipedia and Google.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Sadly those that believe in 2012 refuse to even acknowledge the existence of anything that states the contrary. I and other have made a number of threads detailing why there is no foundation for this 2012 nonsense in Mayan culture but those threads just get ignored in favor of threads that promise alien invasions and the return of Nibiru.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Yeah....With absolutely no disrespect to ATS and the current system of thread ratings, ....it's all about what gets the stars and flags. Not about the truth...or getting at the truth. For the people who make those threads....not the ATS system.

top topics

join