It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Rick Santorum Opus Dei?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Apparently, Santorum became alot more religious after he met a priest, C. John McCloskey, who happened to be Opus Dei. Then in 2002, McColskey and Santorum traveled to celebrated the founder of Opus Dei, Saint Josemaría Escrivá. Santorum said this trip was part of his "official business" as senator.

www.washingtonpost.com... d=pm_politics_pop

Some info from the article.

During Senate debates about abortion, Santorum told the audience in Rome, he hears Escriva telling him that “it is not true that there is opposition between being a good Catholic and serving civil society faithfully.” In his public fight to uphold “absolute truths,” Santorum said, “blessed Josemaria guides my way.”

 ‘As long as you are making straight for your goal, head and heart intoxicated with God, why worry . . . ?’ ” Santorum said, quoting Escriva, according to a transcript of the speech.

The group encourages “unity” between followers’ personal and public lives as Catholics, the rigorous practice of church sacraments and, to some degree, gestures of self-denial. Its most devoted members follow a daily two-hour ritual of wearing a spiked metal chain on their thighs to recall Christ’s suffering — a practice followed by Mother Teresa.

Santorum also goes to one of the few Opus Dei churches. When choosing his 2 sons education, he sent them to an Opus Dei school. To me, it seems that Santorum may be an Opus Dei member, but tries to keep it hidden.

To me, Opus Dei seems pretty "cultish".

en.wikipedia.org...

The organisation has been criticized for issues relating to the Catholic Church, especially the practice of mortification of the flesh. Controversies about Opus Dei have centered around criticisms of its behaviours, such as alleged secretiveness, aggressive recruiting methods, and its strict rules governing members.[98] The organization's members have also been categorized by critics as right-leaning elitists, with some individuals supporting fascist governments, such as the Francoist Government of Spain until 1978.[19]

Maybe Im overreacting to this. Maybe the Opus Dei isnt as "cultish" as I think. Just thought I would put this info out there
edit on 22-3-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Opus Dei, hmmm? Good ol' boy Santorum must love the uncomfortable, painful spikes/hooks worn under his trousers or flagellating himself to a bloody mess. This sect within the catholic church is nwo to the core. Dont believe me? Google these sadomasochists and see. Their occult filth is well documented.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Rick Santorum whips dead babies while playing with them

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Not refuting anything here, just wondering if you have any links to information about just where he goes to church and it's affiliation to Opus Dei. Or his sons school(s).

I think this guy is bat# insane. Especially after the reports came out about what RealSpoke just keeps finding new ways to ridicule. (Keep doing it. I for one find it funny.)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Very interesting, but I don't find Opus Dei any less sensible than Christianity as whole so this does not change my perception of Ole Ricky Boy.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

Apparently, Santorum became alot more religious after he met a priest, C. John McCloskey, who happened to be Opus Dei. Then in 2002, McColskey and Santorum traveled to celebrated the founder of Opus Dei, Saint Josemaría Escrivá. Santorum said this trip was part of his "official business" as senator.

C. John McCloskey
en.wikipedia.org...

C. John McCloskey, III is a Catholic priest and member of Opus Dei. He is the former director of the Catholic Information Center of the Archdiocese of Washington. He worked on Wall Street - Citibank and Merrill Lynch - for some years before becoming a priest, being ordained in 1981 by Cardinal Roger Etchegaray. Fr. McCloskey is perhaps best known for having helped many people convert to Catholicism, including Newt Gingrich, Sam Brownback, Lawrence Kudlow, and Dr. Bernard Nathanso

Converting Capitol Hill
www.beliefnet.com...

McCloskey is credited with facilitating the conversions of such luminaries as failed Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork, "Crossfire" co-host Robert Novak, Republican Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas, conservative book publisher Alfred Regnery, economist and commentator Larry Kudlow, and one-time New York gubernatorial candidate Lewis Lehrman. Abortion doctor-turned-pro-lifer Bernard Nathanson was tutored by McCloskey, as was indicted Tyco International counsel Mark Belnick.

An Opus Focus on SCOTUS?
www.talk2action.org...

Justice Clarence Thomas may have the closest ties to Opus Dei. His conversion was handled by Opus Dei priests John McCloskey, the highly visible American face of Opus Dei as well as Father Paul Scalia (Opus Dei priest and son of the Supreme Court Justice [Antonin Scalia]).

Fr. C. John McCloskey - 30 Years as a Priest
www.youtube.com...

edit on 16-4-2012 by ConspiracyCenter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join