It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is so Cool!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Baumgartner lifted off Thursday for a test jump from Roswell, N.M., aboard a 100-foot helium balloon. He rode inside a pressurized capsule to 71,581 feet — 13.6 miles — and then jumped. He parachuted to a safe landing, according to project spokeswoman Trish Medalen.

He's aiming for nearly 23 miles this summer. The record is 19.5 miles.

"The view is amazing, way better than I thought," Baumgartner said after the practice jump, in remarks provided by his representatives.

Thursday's rehearsal was a test of his capsule, full-pressure suit, parachutes and other systems. A mini Mission Control — fashioned after NASA's — monitored his flight.

Baumgartner reached speeds of up to 364.4 mph Thursday and was in free fall for three minutes and 43 seconds, before pulling his parachute cords, Medalen said. The entire jump lasted eight minutes and eight seconds. She stressed that the numbers are still unofficial.

news.yahoo.com...

OMG This is so cool! That must be one of the best views you will ever see in your life time. I would totally do it! Free falling for close to 4 minutes!!!! so sick!!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Red Bull sponsers the coolest things. Just noticed all the red bull gear.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Any flying saucers in the area?? Me think this event is a distraction.
Keeping the conspiracy up, trust no1...

LOL Red Bull?? gives you wings, with whiskey gives you rocket boosters
edit on 16-3-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Now might be the time to post a thread about what Redbull is really up to. Any thoughts on this?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
get this

The record-holder Kittinger was in free fall for four minutes, 36 seconds, and accelerated to 614 mph, equivalent to Mach 0.9, just shy of the sound barrier. For his grand finale, Baumgartner expects to be in free fall for five minutes, 35 seconds, and achieve Mach 1, or 690 mph. All told, the descent should take 15 to 20 minutes.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
get this

The record-holder Kittinger was in free fall for four minutes, 36 seconds, and accelerated to 614 mph, equivalent to Mach 0.9, just shy of the sound barrier. For his grand finale, Baumgartner expects to be in free fall for five minutes, 35 seconds, and achieve Mach 1, or 690 mph. All told, the descent should take 15 to 20 minutes.

What are the implications of a human reaching Mach 1? is there any? will he blow his ear drums out with the sound wave? IDK
edit on 16-3-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

get this

What are the implications of a human reaching Mach 1? is there any? will he blow his ear drums out with the sound wave? IDK
edit on 16-3-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

You mean what are the implications of human reaching Mach 1 without deadly consequences?
I really do not have understandings for these people, but if that is their objective, no problem with me

ETA Too many Red Bulls, perhaps?
edit on 16-3-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

join