It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Disappearances

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
ok, I have no idea what forum to post this in. Dean Koontz' book, phantoms, is a great read if you are into this.
The best known mas disappearances are probably;

the roanoke settlers
the mary celeste
nanking chinese army
anjikuni village

here are some links ;
thebrgs.homestead.com...
www.deafwhale.com...

www.geocities.com...

could these be related ?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I often google trying to find stories of strange disappearances as i find the subject fascinating myself.Some of my personal favourites are

A group of hippies disappearing in front of witnesses including a policeman at Stonehenge.

Thousands of soldiers disappearing into fog and never showing up on the other side at Galipolli in World War I.

A prisoner walking around prison grounds in chains then slowly fading away in front of the gobsmacked guards leaving only the chains behind.

A farmer walking towards his waiting family who waved to acknowledge a judge passing on his horse and cart,the next moment he simply vanished into thin air.

There are literally hundreds of strange reports of similar things happening over the last few hundred years.Certainly an enjoyable read when you have time.

[edit on 23-9-2004 by Sariel]

[edit on 23-9-2004 by Sariel]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Does anybody have any theories for these mass disappearances? I read the one about the Anjikuni village, it kinda sound like a UFO thing (strange lights, all the bodies of the ancestors taken from their graves, etc.)

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Great post radagast, I actually hadnt heard of any of these except the mary celeste. Very interesting, I guess I need to read to more.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well, the RCMP (Mounties) say the Anjikuni story is not true:
www.rcmp.ca...

From an anthropological/cultural point of view, the facts in the RCMP story are correct: the area couldn't possibly have supported a village of 2,000 people. Even today, those areas of Canada and Alaska just can't support much of a population... resources are too scarce and it's far too expensive to ship the resources in.

..and the person who wrote this knows NOTHING about Aleuts, Inuits, Inupiats, and their spiritual ("shamanic") traditions:
www.bewilderingstories.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
the dean koontz book is sort of based on the mythology or proteus, If you plan on getting the book, stop now !

In Greek mythology, Proteus is a lesser sea-god, the son of Poseidon or Oceanus and a Naiad, and the herdsman of Poseidon's seals. He can foretell the future, but will change his shape to avoid having to; he will only answer to someone who is capable of capturing him. From this Proteus comes the adjective protean, with the general meaning of "versatile", "mutable", "capable of assuming many forms", etc..

in the book,
the "ancient one" is an ancient sea-creature that comes up from the depths of the sea to feed every 1000 years or so, and scarfs up an entire village by taking the form of whatever "devil" or demon the culture believes in and disolving or absorbing them......kinda cool....

the real reason for the disapperances , could be more in line with slavery, abduction or or something like that

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by radagast
If you plan on getting the book, stop now !

Awww, man! You know you cant say something like that and expect people not to want to continue reading your post even more.

Tahnks for ruining the book,way to go there radagast!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Just bumping...

new topics

top topics

join