It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opus Dei and the Davinci Code

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Yep, definitely a novel. An enjoyable, highspeed chase style novel, but a novel nonetheless. As long as you read it as that and nothing more, you're good to go!

Now, there are certainly some facts laced throughout it. It really is amazing that the church has ended up with the theology that it has--look back at all the early schisms and competitions over theology, primacy, etc. Some branches of early christianity chose one form of gospel (Gospel of Thomas is based more on "sayings of Christ") while the church decided that the narrative was the best (Luke, John, Mark). Conflicts over whether Rome or Constantinople would have primacy--Rome obviously won!

Anyway, I agree, I find it rather humorous that a work of fiction need be "debunked."

-Andrew

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yeah, I read the DaVinci Code. It was a mediocre read, at best. I was disappointed. BUT it was WAAAAAY better than his other attempt. Angels & Demons.

I was baptized and raised RCC. IMHO, they are their own worst enemy. They have gone out of their way throughout history to demonize those who don't agree with them. They have done whatever it takes to keep the status quo in the Church.
And, they have mistreated women, in spite outward appearances. Heck, they even made Mary Magdalene a whore to suit their purposes.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Heck, they even made Mary Magdalene a whore to suit their purposes.

Technically, that was the work of the pre-schismatic christian community, not the roman catholic church persee.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I guess it matters not who started it, it was what I learned growing up in the Roman Cath. Church.
After all, the Vatican embraced the idea.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
I have never read the book, nor do I have any desire to. I just don't understand how people can get so over hyped-up about a fictional book. I really doubt the author put a disclaimer inside the book reading "This book is pure fact, and if you don't believe everything in it you have been fooled."

I think I remember something in the book stating something to that effect, that the many of the events were based on truth. I have no doubt that it was based on stuff that Dan Brown thought was true, but it wasn't in reality:

-P

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Fiction. The book is fiction. How sensitive does a group have to be to feel the need to attack a NOVEL that portrays them poorly?

Good grief.

I dont know which I find more amusing;

a) People who feel the need to debunk a work of fiction.

or;

b) People that havent read the book but know they hate it.

Tragic.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Its not sad that these researchers debunked the book, its sad that people are running around pretending its something more than a work of fiction, and that these researchers actually needed to debunk it.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
lol.

Chicken Little: The sky is falling, the sky is falling !!!!!

Scientists: Hmm . . . sounds dangerous. We should do a study on this.

lol.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Im sorry to be redundant but my previous post asked which was the bare bones no bs lets dump on other theories book to read so I caan get to the bottom of the cituation without having all the dibble of my theory is better than his mentality...........I want the truth I CAN hadle I dont need them on that wall..........ooooppppsss sorry a minor flash back to an old movie I like
lol.............but seriously guys which book is the one and only best way to learn about the bible code

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by drbryankkruta
best way to learn about the bible code

I would think that the bible code is a good place to start about that. Then you could try any one of the books or studies that refute it. But the bible code and the 'daVinci Code' are two entirely different things.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Hey, having just finished reading the Da Vinci code i found myself caught in a web of conspiracies, book debonkers, theological masterminds, secret organisations and a "whore" with a heart of gold (no disrespect intended - i can only read) And thats kinda my point. It seems that through reading the book the only real point that is made is that you shouldn't believe everything that is written, at all, in anything! The fact this book has caused such a furor can only serve to promote the ideas within and provide the author with a gleeful smile as he chuckles his way merryily to the bank.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well the thing that is most interesting about The Da Vinci Code, is the fact that mostly everyone here is bashing the book based upon facts giving from secular institutions.

Just hear me out. UFOlogists, and conspiracy theorists don't believe the government explainations and documents provided to disprove the existance of UFO's and aliens. So why is everyone so quick to believe what a church or a bible tells them. Whether the book is factually true or false, I find it absurd that members of these Forums would so quickly judge something that isn't a mainstream belief.

So just to take a side I will say that I DO believe the book (in part), not because of what the book tells me, but because everything Christian (Bible, Jesus's Life/Death/Resurrection) is information soley provide in a one sidded fashion.

If noone ever came out to try and expose the truth behind the governments cover-ups could any of you giving an honest answer say that you would ever doubt what the government told you.

1. No UFO's dont exist
2. No Aliens dont exist
3. No people aren't being Abducted
4. No Cattle mutilations aren't the cause of Aliens
5. Crop Circles are a hoax

Would any of you ever doubt those if noone was willing to offer a different version?

So in closing, the book isn't about bashing the Catholic church (its prequel, Angels and Demons- was based upon the Catholic church and Vatican City fighting its sworn enemy), perhaps Dan Brown wanted to give people something to think about, when they can't find the answers to all of there questions. If nothing more, the book was entertaining, and I suggest that you read it if you haven't!!!

[edit on 6-10-2004 by ColdAshes]

[edit on 6-10-2004 by ColdAshes]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

1. No UFO's dont exist
2. No Aliens dont exist
3. No people aren't being Abducted
4. No Cattle mutilations aren't the cause of Aliens
5. Crop Circles are a hoax

6. I did not have sex with that woman!
7. I am Not a Crook.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I just read 'The Davinci Hoax'. The Davinci Code is pure garbage
written by anti-Catholics who wanted to put junk out about the
Church and have it sprinkled with just enough truths to make the
garbage underneath believable.

Have you read the actual novel? Or just the book debunking it?

By "They", do you mean Dan Brown, the author, when you refer to the novel being "...written anti-Catholics..." (plural)?

Posts like yours remind me of when muslims went nuts and put out a hit on Salman Rushdie over the "Satanic Verses", another novel.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It is a book well worth discussion, and I think if you havent read it, borrow a copy from somewhere and have a look. Does raise some intereresting points, and is quite entertaining if nothiong else.

But I don't see the sense in rubbishing it if you havent read it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join