It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't send me any U2U's unless you want them read by persons unknown.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Several U2U's over the past 6 months were read before I opened them. There was not even an alert to me that a U2U was in the bin because they were treated as already read. There's a tendency, and rightly so, to feel secure in what's styled as a 'private message.' However, this is not the case. I enjoy hearing from everyone but please remember that if you're thinking of saying something you don't want anyone else to know - don't say it in a U2U to me. Be cryptic.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

I think if someone checks the messages they sent in the outbox option, and clicks on it, the receiver of the u2u will have it marked as read.

Here's an old thread: (sorry, can't find the latest one, but it has an answer from a mod)

Who's been reading my U2U's???

Originally posted by Rapacity
I've just logged into my account. This is my first loggin in just over a week; maybe even two.

Anyway, it looks like my U2U's have been read by someone (O.K, to keep in line with ATS, something) other than me.

Originally posted by intrepid
This happens when the member that sent you the u2u checks it in their Outbox.

Here's another one: Question About the Private Messages Outbox

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by Mary Rose

It will stay highlighted until either you open it, OR until the other person opens it.

Personally, I prefer to leave it highlighted and not open it myself, so that I can see if they actually opened it or not. If you open it first, then if they do not reply, you will never know for sure if they even read it or not.

edit on 9-3-2012 by Casandra because: Added link to thread with answer

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

What Casandra said.

Let's try it shall we?

Don't freak out I'm going to send you a U2U and then read it in my sent file...

And we'll see what happens on your end.

EDIT: DONE.

edit on 9/3/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

Sounds convenient. Still... I'll take it under advisement but my caution stands. There is more than just that. There have been comments made in threads based on information in a U2U to me. I don't chat. And I rarely send U2U's. I don't want anyone's business on the boulevard when they thought they were communicating privately. That's about it.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

No. It didn't work the way the other poster said. There was a message alert and the message was marked unread. What now?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

No idea...

Maybe I did it wrong.

The only people that have access to your PM's are the owners.

And no offence, but I doubt SO or Springer are interested in your PM's.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Well, there are other possibilities:

-It could be a glitch, you can fill up a complaint form.

-Or maybe this:

16f.) Private Messages: You will not use the private messaging system to send mass messages to multiple member accounts. All private messages are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Use and the Terms and Conditions of Membership. Violations will result in immediate account termination. You also agree that Private Messages are confidential. You will not post or publically display messages received from TAN, their agents, or any other members, in any way, without the written permission of the author. TAN, at their discretion, may review the content of your private messages when, and only when, complaints are received from the recipient(s) of your messages.

T&Cs

So... it can be a glitch or someone complained.

That's all I've got.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

And no offence, but I doubt SO or Springer are interested in your PM's.

I don't know who's interested or why beyond absolute speculation. It's happened 3 times. And being the Ian Fleming fan I am - that's enemy action. This thread was meant as an fyi and a heads up.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

So... it can be a glitch or someone complained.

That's interesting except that I don't believe I've ever originated a U2U. I've replied to most I've gotten and I don't think there were any violations in my replies - no links, no unusual language, no slurs or slights, no mass mailings. The same can be said for the U2U's I've received. I think, though, that the point has been made in this very short thread. Thanks for the tips.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Casandra's post is spot on...

There is nothing to be paranoid about. Trust me. This happens to me all the time and im staff.....

The cause of it is because someone sends you a PM and they go to their SENT box and read the PM sent to you. It then shows as READ in your inbox.

If you are getting a notice that you have a message and by the time you go to your inbox and it shows read, it is because in that time, the sender read what they sent you.

edit on March 9th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thx for the interest.

If you are getting a notice that you have a message and by the time you go to your inbox and it shows read, it is because in that time, the sender read what they sent you.

Hadn't been on ATS for several days and went in today and read through a couple of threads and then went into the messages to see if anyone had replied to me in any threads. There was an unread message for me even though I never got a display on the bar saying there were messages. So in this case there was no notification but the message within the message area showed as unread.

top topics

join