It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Report Card Time -------- Grade Charles1952

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Dear ATSers,

Yep, it's a real thread. I'm serious here.

Haven't you seen dozens of complaints about posters, usually in the Rants forum? They'll complain about minimal, one line posts, wordy posts, poor spelling and grammar, failure to research or include links, improper homophone usage, failure to use search before posting, general meanness and bad attitude, anti-semitism, Islamophobia, the list of complaints goes on and on.

BUT, they never identify the perpetrators. How can I know if they're complaining about me?

I want to be a good poster, contributing to ATS. So, naturally, I don't want to be doing the wrong things. But I have to know what wrong things I'm doing. How else to find out but to ask? So that's what I'm doing. I'm asking all ATSers to criticize, throw bricks, flame, whatever. If you've seen me around, you may already have an opinion. If not, feel free to check my record

Just let me know what I'm doing wrong so I can be a better contributor. Thanks a lot.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

With respect,
Charles1952

^
That should be centered on the page.

Otherwise no complaints, carry on.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I want to be a good poster, contributing to ATS. So, naturally, I don't want to be doing the wrong things.

Is that really what you want out of ATS..? To be a good poster..?

Those are low ambitions...

Being a good member isn't about following the policies and procedures around here - it's more along the lines of bringing original content to the table, be it a thread or post.

That's really it...except it should also be pointed out that this thread seems a little needy.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I think you are an excellent poster Charles an asset to every thread I have seen you on, and you exersise your right to question well.

IMHO though one can be TOO neat and perfect. People notice loose ends and sometimes cannons more....
and what fun would hockey be without the odd penalty....or skiing without that spectacular wipeout...or that page 5 comback reference that poopcans a troll.

Sometimes my favourite writers here have english as a second language..

and sometimes football in the groin is just the right way to go.....

have a good one.

I know I use a spellchecker like my english teacher was my hockey coach...which she was.
edit on 4-3-2012 by Danbones because: as archy bunker said when he couldn't find his other sock....EDIT!!!!

edit on 4-3-2012 by Danbones because: spellink

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
When posting
Speak from either an educated and informed person if your giving information..have sources ready that are unquestionable.
When learning, ask questions that dont lead
When debating, remember to respect the person while you smash away their ideas or concepts. A idea/concept/etc is there to be picked apart and beaten up...but the person presenting it deserves respect for bringing things to the table.

Above all things though, keep a cool and reasonable head...as others lose their mind in frustration, awe, etc...the best method of making quality contributions is to take a breath and look for things being overlooked or purposefully left out..that is ultimately where the critical points of truth can be located in.

Otherwise...carry on as you simply want to be..don't let people tell you how to think..be your own original self...or not..your choice.

Finally: You fail at ATS until you think more like me

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
You're definitely one of the most polite posters on ATS. Most definitely

Your grammar seems fine - it's better than mine is.
Your spelling, I haven't noticed mistakes, so it's also good. That I do well too...
You question stuff - a good thing.
You look at other people's opinions, and consider them.

I give you an A+
Although there are times when I do quick one liners myself, so I don't know if I'm a very good judge here

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
As watchitburn mentions ...
... I see no reason to change anything about 'yourself' or 'your participation' here.

I don't get around this way much, ATS, that is, but I hafta admit I've taken a sort of liking to your seeming open and honest candor on the boards so far ... 't least from what I've seen and read.

For what it's worth ... Life's always shown me that the more you Try to fit in, the more you Won't .. you'll always be left questioning. (?)

Just be yourself, Charles1952 ... that way you'll never have anyone in the mirror who wants to argue with you.

My times here have shown me a few things though. With members' ages likely ranging from near 8 to 80, and overall IQs seeming to be from That to exponentially higher .. It sure does make for a helluva diverse 'crowd' to interact with from time to time.

*one suggestion*
steer clear of lower hanging fruit. to easy and not deservant of your time

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
You get a gold star, just like I remember from grade school. One time, in grade school, a teacher became so frustrated with me, she shook me, and by head bobbled. But thats for me, not you.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Dear facelift,

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the comments. What I see a good contributor doing is three fold. One task would be encouraging people to think clearly, question, and dig a little. The other would be to build up, and love each person here. If my posts get someone spitting mad, then I know I've gone wrong. And finally, I hope that people here will show me new facts, new ideas, new ways of thinking that I can adopt and become a better person.

So if I'm irritating people by poor habits or thoughtlessness, I'm not meeting my goals, I'm not succeeding.

As far as needy, you may be right that it seems that way, but I'm really not trying to encourage praise or stars or flags. It would be nice to know if I've positively affected someone's life, but other than that...

With respect,
Charles1952
edit on 4-3-2012 by charles1952 because: typo.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Charles1952, you are perhaps the most polite poster on ATS and constantly undersell yourself. The first quality is great; the second is okay in moderation. I have noticed many times an attitude of doubt in your posts, which is quite often declared. While no one likes the pompous buffoon or egotistical blowhard, it is also not recommended to be too doubtful of your abilities. In short; quit being like Eeyore.

Even if you post something which is wrong, your manners would defuse any hostility. Be a bit more assertive and confident in what you believe. That is the only criticism I can level. Your posts are always proper, on-topic, honest, citing material when needed, vocabulary is good, and grammar skills are excellent. Do not worry so much, my friend. A fine poster you are.

4.6 / 5

edit on 3/4/2012 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Facelift is right, but it is equally true that, so far, you're a good family member. I've starred you more than once. Quite a few times actually.

Now, shoo! Don't be so needy.

edit on 4-3-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Charles I have great respect for you - - - even though we are on opposite sides of issues much of the time.

I think most people can "feel" when someone is very sincere as a person and poster.

I feel you are growing as a poster. That's important to me.

"Growing" - - - in that you do have your own ideas/opinions - - - but I see you opening up to the ideas/perspective of others - - even if you don't fully agree.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

You seem like a nice, genuine, honest person - Something that's becoming harder and harder to find on the internet and in places where people interact with one another. Seriously, whatever you do, don't lose that.

In regards to what you need to do to become a good poster which is what you asked for. Well, you're already one of those in my opinion.

edit on 4-3-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Thank you for pointing out this thread to me in U2U - I may have missed it if not.

IMO - you've got an interesting insight that I appreciate - you also get your point across without becoming combative or seemingly taking jabs personally and returning them two fold. All fine - all good. Sometimes though I wonder if that's the 'real' you? Are you presenting yourself as calm, cool, collected, definite and succinct ie - impersonal, practical and sans emotion on purpose? Or is there a raging beast behind the computer that's barred from ever entering ATS?
Ok, I'm teasing a bit but I'm sure you 'get' what I'm alluding to.

When reading your post I get the feeling there's something more you'd like to say - something 'left out'. I'm not complaining but I would enjoy getting a little more insight into who you really are and less of who you think ATS wants you to be. Your insight, combined with your approach and care of others combined with your absolute conviction spiced with a little passionate response would make for quite a thread/response.

peace

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Well Charles, I always say what I believe , and a lot of times, on ATS, I get raked for it.

So I'll give you what you are actually after, constructive criticism. Not just mutual stroking.

In a lot of your posts, you usually start off with a sentence like this : "I don't know much about this (insert topic) so you could explain exactly your point of view and why you have this point of view.

To be honest Charles, I don't have the time or inclination to catch you up to speed on all topics, so I'll pass over your postings.

Hey m8, I'm being honest, I think that is what you wanted.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Personally, I think that a few grammatical mistakes is perfectly excusable, as long as you contribute thoughtful, well-researched content.

Unfortunately, "thoughtful" is one of the most highly debated definitions in these forums.

Hence, moot point.

EDIT: I'm not giving you a grade, I'm giving you an assignment. Go out, get laid, and don't come back until you have at least 5 pairs of panties as spoils of war.
edit on CMondayam313115f15America/Chicago05 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Dear silo13,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. You've pointed out something I have buried. There are many times when I have wanted to say. "What brain injury caused you to stop thinking? You're contradicting yourself, common sense and every expert on the planet. You must be 12 years old, and well protected, to have gotten this far into life with such an obvious inability to think coherently. Try for a brain transplant at your earliest opportunity."

But what happens if I do that? The person I'm addressing is going to be hurt, there's nothing they can do about their faulty mental skills. So they get mad and scream back? That's not good. Maybe they leave ATS? I'm not sure that's good either. Words can hurt, and I don't want to be responsible for hurting someone.

So, what do I do? Either walk away from the thread (often), or if the guy is just stupid but not hateful, I'll try to teach him through questions.

Anyway, I am really grateful for your contribution. I'lll start practicing right away. Grrrrr!

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

There are many times when I have wanted to say. "What brain injury caused you to stop thinking? You're contradicting yourself, common sense and every expert on the planet...

That period between the word "say" and the beginning of the quote regarding brain injury is supposed to be a comma.

There are other grammatical errors in your post, but I'll leave them alone.

edit on CMondayam585809f09America/Chicago05 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Dear Tw0Sides,

You're absolutely right. I do want the criticism. And when you speak your beliefs we're all better for it. Your honesty is much appreciated.

In a lot of your posts, you usually start off with a sentence like this : "I don't know much about this (insert topic) so you could explain exactly your point of view and why you have this point of view.
To be honest Charles, I don't have the time or inclination to catch you up to speed on all topics, so I'll pass over your postings.
Thanks a lot. I didn't know that was the effect it was having. I'll work on it.

This wasn't meant to be a thread where everybody says nice things (although I certainly don't mind them). I've been around for a while and I wanted to make sure I wasn't settling into bad habits, so thanks.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Dear Starchild,

I'm giving you an assignment. Go out, get laid, and don't come back until you have at least 5 pairs of panties as spoils of war.
You do know that 1952 is my actual birth year, don't you? Do the math, please. Besides, my most recent bout with cancer attacked my prostate. The surgeon, after assuring me that 95% of the cases resulted in no permanent damage, managed to put me into the 5%. I'm afraid a young lady might find me a disappointing bed partner.

Hmmmm. It just hit me. Sixty and unable to perform? Maybe I did have a hidden desire to get a little reassurance. Well, that was more than I wanted to let out for the public's consumption.

With respect,
Charles1952

top topics

<<   2 >>

join