It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Ron Paul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I know this is highly speculative and whatnot. For the record I think Ron Paul is awesome. I don't know if this has been brought up before, which is why I posted in the skunks works forum. I love Ron Paul as much as anyone. His foreign policies include withdrawing all troops. If we were to do that to a lot of countries (the oil bearing ones) might take the dollar off the table as far as the standard currency. While I agree it's the right thing to do what happens might suck hardcore. We have a lot of money in entitlements, obviously, and these entitlements are why we have to support the system so that the elderly and they young poor who choose to breed (it's human nature) don't die. If the dollar isn't worth anything in the economic model what is to become of the people who rely on these entitlement programs that support the old and the young.

I don't know how many of you have grandparents (or parents) who are slowly declining and waiting to die, and I mean no disrespect because I'm one of you. Society has already tried to set the regulation that as you grow older and can't work the government will help you out. As we run out of money that standard seems to be unrealistic. If the dollar decreases in value (due to other countries not accepting it with the absence of our military enforcrment) than there will be absolute chaos on the streets. We have supported the system for too long and I'm not criticizing because I've done the same. In final we all know Ron Paul won't be elected, even though it would be awesome if he was. Are we all just supporting him so we can pretend not to be responsible for the inevitable reaction? If he were to be elected many people would die, even if they were to die anyway.

edit on 4-3-2012 by Kwyjibo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Are we all just supporting him so we can pretend not to be responsible for the inevitable reaction? If he were to be elected many people would die, even if they were to die anyway.

I support him because I have faith people will wake up and see what lies ahead of them. If you say he won't win anyways then you've already beaten yourself.
We know it's coming. It's like a boulder at the top of the hill and you can see it's starting to lean your way. Should you just stand there and say "to hell with it" or do you do any and everything you can to deter it from crushing you?
It may seem like an "inevitable reaction" because you allow it to seem that way.

It ain't over 'til it's over. Only when we're dead and stinking.
edit on 4-3-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The value of the dollar has been declining for the last hundred years. The national debt can never be paid off. The dollar is going to go away or change drastically no matter what anyone does.

The US has not paid anything against the principal balance in like 30 yrs. We have been borrowing just to pay the interest.

It is going to happen, and it is going to be painful and ugly. There is nothing that can be done to change this fact. It's just a matter of when.

To your question: Ron Paul has explained his plan of phasing out entitlements over time. Not just cutting them off over night. For example letting people opt out of paying into social security.

You could have easily answered your own question had you put a little effort into research.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Thanks for replying, what I'm afraid of is a total societal collapse. If Ron Paul was to actually pass his viewpoints into law there would be massive backlash in the streets eventually. I guess it takes some time to make things better, absolutely out economic system as the prime example. We are trying to hold up the poor and elderly and that will dissolve if we were to not make it a global economy. It sucks, I know, but the reality of it is that we need this pervasive nonesenseceical (sp?) warfare to keep things going. Yeah we're headed down the the drain, but nobody wants to see it in there lifetime. Godbless anyone who has kids.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It is the elephant in the room so-to-speak and somewhat. But RP does realize that much of it would have to be done in stages.

It's not like he would have ultimate authority anyway...but YES; we would ALL have to be willing to suck it up to see it get better.

I'm game though.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I have researched it, no worries about it though. I was trying to point out the entitlement programs. You might not have family members that seem to have their own troubles, that could be based to anything. However, would you like to be unable to work and not have anyone available to hire you. I know the idea sucks and my post also sucks. What I'm trying to say is no matter how much I love Ron Paul, his policies will have a huge backlash that people don't seem to give a crap about. I know it's better to get it over with sooner rather than later but still most people think they should vote for him (which they should) but the relapse would be significant.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

But he doesn't talk about it in stages, which I don't know if that's part of the whole thing. He seems to know he won't be elected and just trying to enforce his views (which are awesome). However as far as fixing things altogether forgive me for being a complete asshole but once entintlements and government securities are gone there will1 be rioting on the street. Like I said before, I got nothing but love for Ron Paul, but he knows he won't win (sorry to be negative) and that the whole system will continue and collapse in a horrible mess.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kwyjibo

OK, I'm tracking with what you're saying. But there is going to be a huge backlash for letting things go as they have.

And yes I have family members on welfare, but I expect people to take responsibility for their choices in life. So if they were to get cut off maybe it would be incentive for them to be productive.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
What I was saying is that a lot of people are supporting Ron Paul, however it's a fraud. You want to support a candidate who can fix everything, but you know he won't win, and then you can be like I'm not one of them, I voted for the right person, and go about your day. Good for you, I have not hate and I understand completely.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
your country has 30/40 million in poverty .2 million kids homeless people living in stormdrains .your country is the richest in the world people with no health care .the bbc in the uk showed a programme about it would make you cry .GET OUT best advice .the #s on its way to the fan .i live in a country with free everything thank fxxx .run forrest run

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I agree with you, the value of the dollar has been declining for a lone time. I guess it doesn't matter and if we withdraw all our troops the value of the dollar will further decline to the point of anarchy, which I'm if favor of which I can joke about but the main point was that there are a lot of people that are cared about and they are going to wiped out. I Know a lot of people believe in Darwinism and people have to die, no matter how hard it is, you don't have to see it so what the blank do you care.

edit on 4-3-2012 by Kwyjibo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
If someone is dependent on the gov't to live, they will be in for a very rough time in the near future. No one should rely on Social Security or Medicare. It's what retirement programs, pensions, and a large array of investment tools are there for. I'd prefer to keep my own money and have the option to invest it how I see fit, without wasting a bunch of it on gov't employees, unnecessary resources, and other middle man nonsense. Not to mention it is being redistributed to someone else. Possibly someone else who doesn't deserve the fruits of my labor.

Social Security and Medicare are heinous, ridiculous, inherently inefficient, and not compassionate whatsoever. I understand the need for a VERY basic social safety net, but Middle Class entitlement are nothing more than taking the fruits of labor from one individual (who can cover himself without the gov't) and using inefficient means to redistribute it to another individual (who likely can cover himself without the gov't). Government Entitlement is a concept that is beyond stupid and flouts the idea of liberty and individualism.

What they do is create a dependence on government and an extremely weakened citizenry.

A gradual opt-out program, as Paul has proposed, is actually the only sustainable program that has been put forward by any candidates of any party. If you think SS is going to last until 2037, I have bridges in Arabia for sale.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

That is a fantastic post. You are right on many levels. Here's a cartoon that may or may not be pertinent.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I can relate to many different viewpoints in this thread, and it's a good discussion to have (mostly because you cant just be a bandwagon whore and have to use your brain)

I think the dollar and all fiat currencies are one of a few true conspiracies, one meant to keep mankind in slavery and not seeking mystical or spiritual answers of any kind, and giving the wealth and power to an elite, undeserving few.

On this note I think it's doomed to fail, whether it's instigated or not... it's just a matter of time. Many of you sense this I know. And like someone said it will be a very ugly and stressful time. But if we are mentally and physically prepared then we might have a good chance of making something beautiful (but yes, possibly from the ashes).

I think it would benefit us greatly to have someone open minded and resourceful in office when this happens. RP would fit the bill, and as I look at my own opinions of Ron and think, I may be wrong about his free market stance. This may be a good thing if all hell broke loose and US dollars were no longer a reserve currency. Heck it may get way worse and all banks fail, all currencies tank, and the resources rule the earth once again. But I'm no economist, just a free thinking art-dude who likes to speculate and stay aware of lesser-known, important issues.

I'm tired of the fascist democracy we have, and a constitutional republic may not be any better if we could enact it once again (or at all?). I like the Star Trek approach of a meritocracy, where people could earn based on their true merit to society. But how do get there? Can we get there without huge amounts of turmoil, suffering or death? I wish I had more answers, but that's another reason I'm here.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
you wanna know how many people told me there will never be a black president....lol......more than the amount that said Paul cant be.,,,back to topic, today in walmart this old couple was hatin on obama because of their prescription policy,,,they were PISSED..........

new topics

top topics

join