It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music of the 70's : Disco

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
For those here old enough to remember the disco era, I do.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Why?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Ha! I love that second song.. and im a youngin. Hate all you want this music was the bomb in its time.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Some dark episodes of human history are best left alone and should never be revisited or revived.

Disco falls into this catagory.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
You cannot have a disco without playing these guys. And a sparkly boob tube is compulsory.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

You cannot have a disco without playing these guys. And a sparkly boob tube is compulsory.

Absolutely!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrianDamage
Some dark episodes of human history are best left alone and should never be revisited or revived.

The beegees have gotten more tang in a year then you have in your whole life.. I beg to differ.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Great programmes on BBC4 last night all about disco. Stuff I didn't know. Apparently, disco was this huge underground movement created by black people and gays. At the end of the 60s there had been the sexual revolutions but still nothing for gay people. So, in New York some open minded people opened up their homes and basements to play funky music and let the young gay people party, without the risk of arrest, hassle etc. Deejays would experiment with twin and triple turntables, thus creating the type of dj's we have today, they matched up the rhythms so the music was non-stop. According to the programme makers the DISCO movement was bigger than punk.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

That was interesting!

I didn't even know this.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

By sheer luck someone's recorded and put the full programme on youtube. Some of those tunes were catchy. And I did have a boob tube, spandex pants and a glitter belt at one time, lol, even though I much preferred heavy metal.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I don't blame them for having to let off steam from all the hate they faced, dancing to disco let them be free for awhile I suppose.

Nice video, I watched some of it, will watch all of it later. Thanks for adding that.

though I much preferred heavy metal.

I also like/liked metal. My favorite group QUEENSRYCHE.....

edit on 13-3-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrianDamage

What I learned from disco was that those who can handle their cola, can also debate any side of an argument, and win. That cola and power are a bad mix, a perfect fit. I am guessing that if you aren't in love with 'power', then you don't get to dance at the Big Ball. Nothing else comes close.

I heard that when disco was just starting, in NYC, there was an initial backlash led by narcotic officers. They used dogs, huge shepherds, to sniff search anyone dressed in disco attire. The victims found that by using the disco arm roll, the dogs were powerless to latch onto anything, and they got to keep their stash. That was where the dance move came from. After a while, the dogs got conditioned, and wouldn't approach anyone who twirled their arms.
edit on 3-6-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

top topics

join