It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophetic Dark Tower Series?????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I am a big fan of Stephen King's dark tower series and really excited about the new addition set to be released in April . It brings me back to kinda a secret personal story and inquiry I would like to share. First , about the new book for any fans *wink*

In King’s own words: “What happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy between the time they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)? There was a storm, I decided
Link

Interesting story as to what first brought me into the Books

Since this IS ATS
I figures I would share ,(I'm sure at the expense of being called a nutbag).....why I started reading the books in the first place..

When I was a teen I met quite an eccentric elderly Native American women who talked about things such as an inevitable " Great War", where certain people will leave this world through portals ....She believed that Aliens were checking up to see how close to the great war we were getting, and that this process of creating new worlds which result in a great wars, has been going on for eons. Her stories got pretty strange ..it's kind of embarrassing to share as I really did love this woman. She told me to read the second book of the Dark Tower Series "the drawing of the 3 " .for "better understanding", though I'm still not sure what exactly I was supposed to take literally.

Regardless of what I think about this Ladies tales , I love the books and always wondered about the post-apocalyptic world, called mid-world which is a parallel dimension ruined by war. .. What's left are wastelands...mutated creatures from radiation, sickly malformed villages of people and extremely sophisticated technology that have personalities of their own.

Is this our future?

For those that have Not read the story

In this fantasy, there are multiple parallel universes, referred to as whens and wheres. The one Roland inhabits that is home to the Dark Tower and beams that keep all the worlds together and operating functionally just so happens to distinctly resemble the old American wild west. He’s on a quest both to reach the Dark Tower and save it and the beams, as Three doors.they seem to be breaking. Through the course of his quest, Roland draws three new gunslingers and a billy-bumbler to become his ka-tet–his family bound by ka (fate) not blood. These new gunslingers all come from America, but from different whens and versions of America. Eddie is a heroin addict. Susannah is an African-American woman from the 1960s who is missing both of her legs from the knees down and has Dissociative Identity Disorder (more commonly known as multiple personality disorder). Jake is a boy from a wealthy family in NYC that hardly pays attention to him. Oy is a billy-bumbler; a creature from Roland’s world that looks a bit like a dog with a long snout and a curly tail but is able to talk. After training and bonding together, they continue on their quest for the Dark Tower. A quest that leads them through old ruined cities in Roland’s world, gangster territory Spooky train.and rural Maine in America, a countryside farming community where almost all births are twins, and much much more. The ultimate questions of ka, how the worlds are bound together, and just what role this gunslinger has to play in all of it loom at the center of this epic tale.

So.... Is a great war inevitable or necessary for us because of destiny? Are there other forces at work coaching mankind's future? are these just ramblings from a lady with delusions of science fiction?What do you think? Have fun !

I found an interesting theory on a Fan Page ..lol:

David writes: i have a possible explanation as to the nature of Roland's world: Considering physics, any universe having X spatial dimensions must perceive time as a single dimension higher than x. also remember that time can be a spatial dimension, defined as motion of the universe itself along a non-spatial dimension. With a two dimensional universe, time would exist as a continuum along the third dimension, imagine stacking these universes one atop another, only not in increments but in a continuum (because time isn't divided into increments) along the third spatial dimension and you have the nature of time. Now in our three spatially dimensioned world time can be said to occupy a fourth spatial dimension we cannot access. If we could, time would no longer be a continuum but appear to be randomized, as it would then occupy a fifth dimension. I think Roland's world is a three dimensional plane "pressed" so to speak in a universe of four spatial dimensions, forcing time which by the nature of this universe, to flow along the fourth dimension as it does in our universe. I also thing Roland's world is unfolding, not only are distances growing and directions shifting, but time, ever linked to space, is becoming randomized(AND in the books it seems to be a localized phenomena, supporting the idea that time and space are in fact shifting places, that in some places time is becoming space (and therefore directions and distances change) while time itself begins to take on it's fifth dimensional form in these places. And the tower? This is the construct which forces Rolands world to conform to conventional three dimensional physics(and therefore must span the entirety of his universe). and i believe it's hold is weakening after time, allowing the world to "move on" in more directions than he can comprehend. Why is his universe unfolding? it is possible that the ancients decided to "mine"(to use the visual images i got of the description of the Portal of the Bear) the fourth spatial dimension, as this would allow the establishment of other parallel worlds linked along this dimension(the portals) I think in an almost Victorian age of expansion and ignorance, they blindly dug into time itself, set up colonies on the blank pages of their past and the future, and their universe began to collapse under all the holes. Something else to think about: a being causes a shadow of lesser dimension than itself. It is possible that there are forces, intelligent forces of a four-spatial dimensional nature working to eliminate Mid World and the like,and others to save it, unfathomable creatures whose mere shadows alone Roland and his universe can percieve, however their shadows would appear to be three dimensional, and changing shape would be no more difficult for such a being than shifting one's hands making shadow puppets. And as to thought: many of the places in Rolands world appear to be the archetype of creative works by contemporaries of other worlds. It is possible that thought exists along the time-dimension, that it is quite possible to dream one's way into other worlds (and so attribute it to imagination) So does this mean that to actually reach the Tower Roland must somehow access the fourth spatial dimension, and is this possible for a being like him apart from sleep? Perhaps, eternal sleep
[/quote
edit on 29-2-2012 by paleorchid13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by paleorchid13

FYI - pro·phet·ic - you still have time to edit

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Thanks .... got the jitter fingers!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

No worries, I make mistakes all the time - I always forget to add the s in plurals when I type - FYI - Firefox will spell check as you go, makes it easy . peace!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Oh my friggin gawd!
YES!
I thought the only thing I had to look forward to about the dark tower was the series from the creators of "lost"
You, sir or madam just made my day, thank you

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I was going to write all this in caps. But I honestly loved the books until the ending, Because of the ending i now hate anything Stephen King writes....

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by krazyiven

I forget where I found it, but something to the notion that Stephen rushed the last two books after his accident due to pressure from fans. He has since stated that he's interested in rewriting the whole series ....All in all I like to ignore the faux pas and the series still remain one of my favorites.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Monsatan

Your welcome. So you think there are some truths ?

Nice to met another tower junkie

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this,
I remember waiting for quite a while for wizard & the glass (after reading the first ones back to back) then lost touch with the series until now. Had no idea he wrote so many after it! cant wait to pick them up.

To the point that I had read in this series, it has easily been one of the best I have read

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

great well thanks

don't just ruin it for me now

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

What an amazing series, Stephen King truly is a literary genius. Also I would say that you should probably remember it's just a work of fiction, she was probably pulling your leg.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by KwisatzHaderach

You mean kinda like saying , " Here ignorant ,illiterate child; stop listening to that nonsense and read a friggin book " by using scare tactics and bizarre stories?

Well it worked!

But to be honest, I think she believed what she was saying .
edit on 29-2-2012 by paleorchid13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BaZooKaJ

I apologize
i was just so disappointed in King that i was just venting i didnt mean to say much to give away the ending but i truly felt like its a waste. I was a die hard fan as well

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Yeah i know i remember reading all the articles and such about how King ended the series and his excuses. But too be honest he needs to do something really good for him to win me back. Im on the fence with any of his work anymore

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Holy crap, I didn't even know he was writing another. I have actually read the whole series three times and get something a little different each time. I feel that King was definitely tapping into something special when he was writing these (being black-out drunk while writing does that to a guy) and his concept of "size" always made me look at everything twice.

Prophetic or not, I think there is some definite truth to the King universe that touches on many unproven theories.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

But you liked the first 4 books at-least didn't you ? The new book goes back into that first "segment" ... I'm really hoping it will be redeeming.

Have you read "Under the Dome" ? Certainly not as intricately entwined in fantasy , but a very realistic scenario of what would happen if a small town would be shut off from the rest of society.....more thought provoking about human nature.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Actually i loved all the dark tower books..The only thing about the series is it felt like towards the end everything was rushed and the the ending was what made everything not worthwhile. But yes i might just still read the new book coming out. I might just enjoy it! oh and no i have not read the dome as of yet. But i know the other book that i really enjoyed by King was Insomnia! I remember i just could not put it down!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Well than that is humorous, and if you think I was being rude I was not trying to be.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by KwisatzHaderach

Not at all . I am easily amused , and hard to offend. I simply was entertaining the idea that I was being yanked. ......After all , she did take me into a bookstore one day, and bought me hundreds of dollars worth of philosophy books.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Lucky you, that would be very cool to have someone buy you that much in philosophy books.

new topics

top topics

join