It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There Anybody Out There?...with Norton Experience??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

For some reason, along the line, my Hard-Drive is Partitioned.....C: and D:.....ALL my "system" stuff is on the C: partition....but, I have HALF of a hard-drive ("D:") that is virtually...well, not virtually is really empty, and un usable...what did I do???

This one is pretty simply solved: grab yourself a partition managing tool (this one is freeware: www.partition-tool.com...), and merge the two parittions.
Then you'll only have one drive (your C drive) but all the space on that, rather than divided up.

ta da.

as for antivirus...?
Grab AVG or Avast!. Free and easy.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

THANK YOU!

I do not know how (or why) my HD got partitioned in the first place....I only know that when I bought this thing, I knew a LOT less about computers (then) than I do now.

Again, thanks bunches!!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackViolet

THANKS to you, too!!

I did figure out (finally) how to remove Symantec (owner of "Norton AV")....from their website....they have an uninstall tool download.

It failed two times....but eventually worked.

What sucked was, you COULD NOT delete Symantec programs from Windows "Control Panel"! I think this blows ...

Anyway, appreciate all the advice.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Please don't sweat it, dude (or dudette)...

How it it trolling?

I gather you may be a "MAC" person?? (Kidding)...

It's OK.....I know virtually nothing about MACs......so, for the majority of us who have to suffer under the MS paradigm, just feel pity, and gloat from your lofty perch....

Again.....just kidding.....most Apple products are over-priced.....hence, many stick to better bargains that are MS-DOS based platforms.

(Of course....I foolishly bought a VERY expensive laptop because it had "Ferrari" on the cover!!!! It's bright red, and sexy.....and when I am public, and people ask....I say, "It came with the car..."... (LOL)

ACER 3400 here, for those paying attention. You can 'Google' or' Bing' it....whatever.....it's an oldie, but a goodie....lasted from 2004.....THAT is impressive, dontcha think???

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Nope, I run Fedora Linux 16 KDE. Linux is the best, and fastest OS there is. Never gets a virus and hardest to hack.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

REVO uninstaller will get it out of control panel for you. or you could try this:

The next step is trickier: go into the Registry. First thing to do is Back up the Registry. I'll be saying more about the Registry later. But suffice it to say that the presence of uninstalled security software in the Registry can conflict with newly installed security software and cause system freezes. So can folders of "uninstalled" programs for that matter. Once again, go to Start, then click on "Run". Type in "regedit" Go to the top of the Regedit window. Click (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Go down the thread until you see Software. Click on Software and scroll down the thread until you see Symantec. Right click on Symantec and choose "Delete". From there go down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat step 3. Restart your PC. Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, now: Click (+) next to Software, Click (+) next to Microsoft, Click (+) next to Windows and Click (+) next to CurrentVersion. Select the Run folder. Right-click and delete each Symantec entry you see (if present). Restart your PC.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
How it it trolling? Call names much? I think you work for M$ myself, they way you promote it so much.

Oh yes because someone can't possibly like Windows without being an employee. You discredit yourself by using the childish dollar sign when referring to Microsoft. Have fun convincing yourself Linux is better

edit on 20-2-2012 by PharohGnosis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mretgis

THANKS>........I think Symantec's own uninstaller did it.....Geesh, Symantec was about 3 MB on my drive!!!

That is a HUGE mess!!!
Whether Symantec has left any little tid-bits??? I dunno.....I HOPE it is all gone, now.

I went to De-Frag the Drive.......going to to that.....even though it said "not required".......

edit on Mon 20 February 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PharohGnosis

I have heard about LINUXl.......wish I knew more about OS.....I ONLY know MS-DOS....(which, obviously is What "Windows" is based on"

I know NOTHING about LINUX.......and equally NOTHING about anything "MAC:-related.......I have NO experience with either of those platforms.........

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

I have heard about LINUXl.......wish I knew more about OS.....I ONLY know MS-DOS....(which, obviously is What "Windows" is based on"

I know NOTHING about LINUX.......and equally NOTHING about anything "MAC:-related.......I have NO experience with either of those platforms.........

Microsoft dumped DOS with Windows NT which is what Windows XP, Vista, and 7 are based on.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

That's easily fixed:
Distrowatch.com
Fedora Project
PCLinuxOS
Ubuntu
That will get you started. Once you try, and get used to Linux OS, you will laugh out loud at Windows users.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Tamper proof software.

Avast has a feature that if you enable it, it will prevent you or other users from tampering with installed software.

Norton and some others have this feature built in.

I think ZoneAlarm has similar features. ZoneAlarm can be difficult to uninstall as well.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Most people don't know this but the company Norton started out as a software cracking company; I used to use their program Norton Nibbler back in 1986 to crack all sorts of stuff. Mind you; junior high and high school kids rarely had money for programs and games...so Norton was the deal.

Bear that in mind when using or thinking about using Norton; besides just their anti-virus being bloat ware crap...most likely it just spy's on your machine, as I have never heard of anyone using it without getting tons of virus'. Besides as the OP stated; it's almost like a virus itself; especially trying to remove the whole thing in it's entirety.

I have used Avast for over 12 years; make sure to adjust the settings for what you want...and it doesn't get any better. I have used another freebie for a number of years called CCleaner; I run it every time I close my browser, and run the registry sweep it has any time I uninstall anything; and about twice a week, it has NEVER screwed up my registry once.

12 years zero viruses; and I don't avoid going anywhere on the web I please. Just make sure you set things up right and you're always good to go.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join