It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tory bill to end long-gun registry comes to final Commons vote tonight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Tory bill to end long-gun registry comes to final Commons vote tonight

home.mytelus.com

Canadian hunters and farmers will be pleased about this repeal of the long gun registry which will be voted upon in parliament tonight.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This repeal is by no means an end to gun registration in Canada.
There will still be many restrictions besides registration....
The Harper Gov. is not about to ge too far in allowing law abiding people unrestricted access to self protection....
And with waiting times for reported crimes sometimes taking days for the mounties to actually show up.....it will do little to deter those who prey upon the weak and defenseless...
The truth is and will always remain that it was Samuel Colt who made every one equal, and not legislation to that effect.

home.mytelus.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-2-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Well, it is a step in the right direction.

Once the ball gets rolling and all that. Restrictive gun laws usually start small as well.

I wish them luck.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Well, it is a step in the right direction.

Once the ball gets rolling and all that. Restrictive gun laws usually start small as well.

I wish them luck.

You are 100% correct.

Gun owners didn't lose their rights all at once, they were slowly taken away in stages. The return to normalcy will be the same.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Good news for Canadians.

Guns laws only affect one group of people -- Law-Abiding Citizens. Criminals could give a crap about gun laws. Why should criminals care since they are in the business of committing crime?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Are there people up there raving on about the inevitable "blood bath" and the "horror" that will ensue should the registry be lifted?

We get those here every time some gun control is eased or lifted.

The fun comes when months or years later you ask them where the blood in the streets is and they just get all frumpy and walk away.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This will not change a single gun Law in Canada.

This is simply a vote on the gun registry.

Linked? Yes.

Same animal? No.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Are there people up there raving on about the inevitable "blood bath" and the "horror" that will ensue should the registry be lifted?

The fun comes when months or years later you ask them where the blood in the streets is and they just get all frumpy and walk away.

Yep, there are always those people aren't there?

But I bet you just have been dying to use the word "Frumpy" haven't you?

Been a while since I've heard that.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Generally, I stand steadfastly against Mr. Harper and his Ottawa cabal. The whole lot of them are truly disgusting, dispicable individuals so out of step with the needs and wants of ordinary Canadians that it's astonishing they manage to remain in office.

This, however, is a welcome move.

It doesn't make it easier for folks to get firearms - we will still have our restrictive licensing system. This will only mean that each individual rifle/shotgun doesn't need to be registered and entered into a database accessable by the bloody RCMP and the federal government. A welcome step in the right direction.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
i was talking to a peer just yesterday and he was criticizing the conservatives (what a surprise)

the topic was brought up though because i mentioned (not so blatently) how a professor at my university attends the bohemian grove (i just said a conservative caucus)

anywho he said to ask the prof or any conservative how backwards there values are passing 2 contractictory bills at once

one is to allow the government to tap peoples phone calls and such, saying if your innocent you have nothing to fear

while passing through this bill which would allow easier gun registration (or no registration?)

i was confused when he first mentioned it because i hadnt heard of this gun bill before but now what i think he means is how do u explain the backward value of exploiting and accusing the innocent (and taping their phones) while also allowing the same citizens to have easier access to guns that there also accusing to be potential criminals/terrorists and spied on

why would your government accuse you of being a terrorist and monitor you but allow you to register for a gun?

unless theres another gunbill going through he was referring to

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Won't be long now before my long gun registration card hits the shredder. Good bye and good riddance.

Thank you PM Harper.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Good luck my northern neighbors, i hope common sense rules the day and you can throw out your registration cards. Any legislation easing the right of owning a gun is a victory in my book and this is one step in the long journey of getting the government to mind their own business.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Magazines are still restricted to five rounds....pistols to ten....
Pistols will still be heavily controlled and registered,You will need a permit to transport it to the range even...yearly....
There will be NO open or concealed carry permits,
Any gun being transported must be in a locked case or hjave a trigger lock at the very least.
You will still have to present your Firearms certificate for ammunition purchase....
The heavy handed gun law minimum sentences have already been described by one supreme court judge as cruel and unusual punnishment....
Yes canada has a loooong way to go yet....

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
It would be nice if they would just altogether drop these stupid laws that limit the abilities of law abiding citizens to protect themselves, their families, their property and their neighbors. I lived overseas for four years in the 80's, I had a CC license and carried a 9mmP and Desert Eagle .44 (good thing I never fell into deep water, I would have sunk). Point being is most people carried and there were rarely if ever any fights or draw offs. The crime rate was very low, very few violent crimes like murder, rape and child abduction. There were still break-ins and car theft, but the perps waited until you were away from your home or car and they knew you wouldn't be back for a while, because they didn't want to get shot.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

In Minnesota they made the same claims of old west style shootouts on every corner if conceal carry passed.

5 years later and only one person has commited a crime while carrying legally, and since he was drunk he was wasn't carrying legally. Alcohol levels above .4 voids the permit.

And yes, crime actually went down not up.

Road rage was a huge issue here before CCW passed, hardly ever hear about it now.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
And yes, crime actually went down not up.

An armed, educated society is a polite society.

2nd line => Buy waffles! Delicious waffles.

top topics

join