It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why aren't students promised their lecturers aren't cheating?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Why is is that in an age when students pay for their degrees no promises are given that the academics at the university are not cheating, or plagiarising. It seems that plagiarism by students is taken very seriously whereas cheating by staff is not necessarily a sackable offence.
Academic plagiarism
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.timeshighereducation.co.uk...

Cambridge academic plagiarism
www.guardian.co.uk...
It seems to me that the rules for students are one thing but with another for staff.
As students pay shouldn't the staff not just be dismissed for plagiarism but sued for obtaining money under false pretences. This brings up another point if lecturers are plagiarising and aren't qualified to the level they are supposed to be, then are their level of qualifications required for what they do? Is this really just a game for those with backgrounds with enough money?Is the real point of lengthy degrees to keep people out who are clever enough but not rich enough? At one time the phd did not exist: Isack Newton did not have one: are phd' there to keep the people out and the rich in, who then plagiarise the work of students and others, to appear experts and cleverer than they are?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I have noticed that if you look online the Open university states it has various ways to make sure the students aren't cheating: which I agree with: but there are no statements about what is done to make sure the staff don't cheat.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Edit: Misunderstood the question posed by the op

Plagiarism should be considered the same for anyone. However, being a professor carries some credibility with it and therefore being suspected of plagiarism is not as common.

editby]edit on 10-2-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-2-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It seems to me that as universities take money from students for tuition then a part of that service is making sure that the academics are properly qualified and that they do their job properly. To me not cheating is central to this. It a professor cheats or is unqualified then this taints the tuition, the courses, the service the students get. There are many systems said to be in place to stop students fro cheating, it seems fair to know what ones are in place for staff. It is not unknown for students to have their research stolen by academics: universities receive complaints each year from research and other students about the theft of their work from university staff. I do think that if aan academic is caught cheating they should be sued for any money gained and any money made from this money, as in the uk they have gained money under false pretences which is illegal, and there is an act that prevents people to hold onto the proceeds of crime: including any money made from that money.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Unless I completely misunderstand the question :
If the purpose of education is for a student to gain an understanding of certain material, I do not see a problem with a professor using material that is not their own. However If a professor publishes plagiarized material under his/her own name, I would imagine the natural politics of the situation would catch them out very quickly. If not, what does it matter, as long as the student has been educated.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

edit on 10-2-2012 by ascending12 because: read latter links

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I thought it was perfectly clear that I am talking in the wide sense, a researchers material and expertise is what keeps the university u to date, and so to cheat effects the quality of the university. To plagarise: pass odd others work as your own is dishonest and I fail to see how someone cutting an pasting other peoples material into their research papers is a legitimate practice, or how students are best served by having their work plagarised and putinto academic papers by their lecturers and not given due credit.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join