It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

42,000-year-old paintings : 'The oldest work of art ever' discovered

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Excellent. Thanks.

The shapes look to my like seal pelts (skins).

It's interesting to see that they were more like us then was previously thought. I know that when I went to school, I was taught that they were slightly above apes, and only very slightly. I love seeing all this new stuff coming out.

S&F.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I've always thought Neanderthals were smarter than many people believe. We might even have some of their DNA in us...quite a thought!

Sex with humans made Neanderthals extinct?

edit on 13-2-2012 by umbratica because: Forgot the link!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by umbratica
I've always thought Neanderthals were smarter than many people believe. We might even have some of their DNA in us...quite a thought!

Though it's a relative underdog among Neanderthal-demise theories, genetic swamping is a well-known extinction cause among plant and animal species.

A smallish group of native, localized trout, for example, may lose their genetic identity after a large influx of a different species with which the native fish are able to breed.

"When endemic populations are specialized, and for some reason there is a change in their interaction with adjacent populations, and that interaction level goes up, they tend to go extinct—especially if one population is much smaller than the other," Barton explained.

"In conservation biology this is called extinction by hybridization

This is thought to be - in another 25-50 generations, the fate of the North American Indian tribes, Polynesians in Hawaii etc, small groups often get absorbed into a much larger population.

edit on 13/2/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Makes you wonder if all races will merge into one given enough time too...

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
no, that isnt a ´DNA-Helix´...(????????)
the painting ( better drawing) looks like some kind of wild hogs, like they are in france nowadays, too..
they even tried to draw it kinda black, you can see the lines.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by umbratica

Was reviewing past materials for some research and found the Article you had already posted here. I found the matter to one of confusion and somewhat humorous.

Neanderthals may have been victims of love, or at least of interspecies breeding with modern humans, according to a new study.

As the heavy-browed species ventured farther and farther to cope with climate change, they increasingly mated with our own species, giving rise to mixed-species humans, researchers suggest.

Over generations of genetic mixing, the Neanderthal genome would have dissolved, absorbed into the Homo sapiens population, which was much larger.

"If you increase the mobility of the groups in the places where they live, you end up increasing the gene flow between the two different populations, until eventually one population disappears as a clearly defined group," said study co-author C. Michael Barton, an archaeologst at Arizona State University's School of Human Evolution and Social Change.

That's interesting. Absolutely Plausible, I would expect.

It was then, I started thinking, What is up with the Welsh Soccer/Rugby Player Photo?

Apparently, this is a Female.

Well, I am not quite as educated as C Micheal Barton, but there is another distinct and plausible reason for the disappearance of the Neanderthal.

A few Examples??

Unless we had a thriving Distillery Industry 40000 years ago I would opt to suggest the Lineage of the Neanderthal died out due to LACK of sex period. That's inclusive to "their own", (aka Male Neanderthals), or with the new comers.

Just an observation,

Ciao

Shane

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join