It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange creatures from Marianas Trench

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Some pretty freaky stuff going on down there. For those who don't know Marianas Trench, it is the deepest part of the worlds oceans, that being said, there are some pretty interesting looking creatures down there that have developed very unique qualities.

The Mariana Trench or Marianas Trench[1] is the deepest part of the world's oceans. It is located in the western Pacific Ocean, to the east of the Mariana Islands. The trench is about 2,550 kilometres (1,580 mi) long but has a mean width of only 69 kilometres (43 mi).

It reaches a maximum-known depth of about 10.91 kilometres (6.78 mi) at the Challenger Deep, a small slot-shaped valley in its floor, at its southern end,[2] although some unrepeated measurements place the deepest portion at 11.03 kilometres (6.85 mi).[3] If Mount Everest, the highest mountain on Earth at 8,848 metres (29,029 ft), was set in the deepest part of the Mariana Trench, there would be 2,060 metres (6,760 ft) of water left above it.

en.wikipedia.org...
[

Beware! Some of these are pretty freaky.....

Link
edit on 6-2-2012 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
These are some amazing creatures. I have seen pictures of a few of these before, but several are new to me.

Some of the creatures that survive in deep water are just plain weird...I like it...

The Munnopsis creature looks like some kind of underwater insect.....strange.
edit on 6-2-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Great post , the pictures are brilliant , some weird sub aqua dudes swimming in the trench for sure.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

The one that looks like a canary is pretty amusing. I've always found the angler fish to be truly fascinating, imagine if they grew to really big sizes? That would be one hell of a jaws meets deep sea piranha type horror film...but they have frickin' lazer beams on their frickin' heads!!

Fascinating creatures though, the spider looking one you mentioned is pretty notable, it almost looks part ant, part spider part mantis....freaky

edit on 6-2-2012 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
That baby Dumbo Octopus is literally the cutest god damned thing I've ever seen.

It's like...

The baby chick-a-dee of the sea...

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

Great little thing isn't it?

I just can't get my head around it being an octopus, you kind of want to pet and/or feed it.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I want one of those Dumbo Octopuses!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MegasAlexandros

A tank with some of those football and dragon fish would be pretty bdass, it'd be like a james bond film.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

cant wait to see whats under the antarctic!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Daver2056

You're absolutely right. There will be many discoveries from our oceans in the years to come and Antarctica will be full of them. Just recently they have discovered many new species there, and there's much more to come.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by Daver2056

You're absolutely right. There will be many discoveries from our oceans in the years to come and Antarctica will be full of them. Just recently they have discovered many new species there, and there's much more to come.

Absolutely

We will find some really fascinating stuff down there, I'm especially looking forward to seeing what's in that lake (vostok?) that they're drilling at the moment.

Not sure if you've seen this film, though you should definitely check it out if you haven't. There is some amazing footage of antarctica and some of the strange things beneath the ice, it's also really interesting seeing what kinds of people live there, great stuff.

Here is the trailer:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Its so deep, it's almost like its another world. Its places like this that I think truly can show what the possibly of life outside earth might look like.
Amazing pictures btw.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

If you attach the first dumbo octopus to a human torso it would kind of look like that guy in star wars, was it captain meridian? I actually got a bit of an eery feeling when I imagined it on top of a humanoid body, and imagine if there were a water planet with intelligent life, they could be more advanced versions of these things...

oh the possibilities!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The "benthocodan" & the tree-sponge are very cool-looking.

Thanks for sharing the great pics!

S&F

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide
[more

Reminds me of the Rolling Stones lip logo without the tongue.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

My pleasure Smokey Haze!

I'm still going to have to go with the dumbo octopus...

Cheers

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide

Although this is list as Unidentified.
In America it is known as the Steve Tyler Fish.
And in the UK. it is the Mick Jager Fish.

edit on 6-2-2012 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Grest thread. We sometimes forget jus
t how incrediable our oceans are and just how little we know about them the pictures are truely amazing thanks!!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rom12345

Brilliant call!

Didn't see that one coming, nice work

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I love the dragonfish and the pingpong tree sponge. You can watch any 70s sci-fi alien movie/cartoon and you'll never see anything that looks as alien as what we have in our own deep ocean.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join