It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Signal From Outer Space - Is Someone Trying To Contact Us?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Perhaps there is an object on the ground near the telescope emitting at about this frequency."

you would think they could eliminate that before they release this info lol

im callin shenanigans

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy

The article (Wikipedia) does state it could be just
about anything.

Would be great tho
if we received a signal that led us to
the discovery of another planet that
holds life.

the "just-about-anything" should include a transmission from a inter-stellar craft

like, what If some other intelligence sent a deep space probe, and it was (relatively slowly) traveling towards the Earth
(so it appears to be in a stationary place in space for many years)

Our Voyager still sends signals and it might appear to be a stationary radio source to the viewers directly in its flight path in deep space

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonyJai

If the signal has been picked up three times over the years at the same position in space which is what SHGb02+14a represents, then it definitely is NOT terrestrial. It could be a stationary satellite from Earth out there, however, but that explanation was not mentioned at the OP's source.Even at that, the strength of such a signal so close would blow the circuits of the amplifing equipment...more or less.

The Arecibo radio telescope is actually built into a valley in Puerto Rico and has very limited capability to scan the heavens except for narrow patches of the heaves once a year. .I(It was nicely featured in one of the James Bond movies a couple of decades ago.) Had they detected something they thought to be an alien race, they would have immediately turned the huge array of radio telescopes in the American southwest and other locations to constantly zero in on the position. (This would be the array featured in Sagan's adaptation of his novel and the movie by the same name, "Contact."

As I've said before on ATS, both the discover of pulsars and quasars by scientists were originally thought to be signals from extremely advanced civilizations. These discoveries were kept secret for many months with pulsars and (I believe) for a couple of years with the quasars. Rest asssured that they would have no trouble or qualms keeping such secrets.

As with the long-held secrets kept about the UFOs, the interception of ET signals would have about the same priority, cloaked in the terms of "national security."

(Mentioning the secret discoveries of pulsars and quasars, I wonder if their histories have been santitized in public places such as Wikipedia to cover the original secrecy?)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

could be the x37b assisting the what was called project blue beam set up

or

A hello is anybody out there.

Question is could the Earth recognize and respond???

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

It might be Optimus Prime from the planet of Cybertron =D.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
But why couldnt the signals we first began to broadcast comming back from bouncing off the skin of our bubble universe?

No, but it could still be our own signals being bounced back to us from a nearby solar system.

As we know radio signals can be bounced between earth and the ionosphere as in skyway / skip propagation so who's to say there isn't just enough ionized solar radiation out there amongst the stars and planets which could act like the ionosphere and refract our own radio signals back to us.

Starred

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I wouldn't be suprised if it was some new, previously undiscovered astronomical phenomenon. When pulsars were first discovered, people didn't know what the hell they were hearing, and thought it was an alien signal at first, and even went so far as considering keeping it secret from the public. But then they figured out what was really causing the sound. Maybe that's the case for this too.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
We are still discovering new things....as another member pointed out (pulsars) the unknown can be mistaken for something they are not.

I wouldnt hold your breath on this being a signal from aliens.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
sounds to me like a "birdie". The clue to that comes from this statement

Each time the signal was detected, it was again at about 1420 MHz, the original frequency before any drift.

If you have a receiver utilizing Phase-locked-loops, and one part of the receiver ciruitry is not locked to the reference, you will get a fast-drifting birdie, how fast it drifts, depends on the frequency drift of the birdie relative to the locked reference. Often a birdie like that appears only at 1 frequency, and the fact that the antennas are pointed at that instance of time to empty space, makes it quite conceivable that it is a birdie that occurs with the interaction between the antenna tracking system and the receiver itself.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Here's a link on Wikipedia for you!

Hello........is anyone reading what people care to post????? Typical

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

After reading the Wikipedia it seems that it is saying pretty much the same thing as messagetoeagle - basically it could be anything and that we don't know yet.

Yes it would be amazing if it turned out to be another intelligent race reaching out, but as much as I want to believe, there really isn't any evidence pointing towards one source versus another.
edit on 31-1-2012 by AnonyJai because: typos

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
burt reynolds?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I've known about this signal for a few years now. I keep a note at my desk to remind me to check and see if there are updates. Sadly there has not been much progress in studying what this is really all about. Some its characteristics baffle Earthly observers and they say it cannot be from a planet.

I say make no assumptions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join