It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the real reason why Megaupload was shut down?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I've been reading more and more into the whole Megaupload story and starting to piece together bits and bobs to why it was shut down. After reading this article I gather that Megaupload were planning on releasing a new platform called 'MegaBox' which would eventually run as a main competitor to all online music sellers. The gist is simple, it's an online cloud platform where artists get 90% of their royalties compared to a pittance from so called 'Music Moguls' as it stands.

It's a fascinating read, check it out here.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
No.

It was shut down to provoke Anonymous to retaliate, in order to garner more sympathy for the SOPA bill, imho.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This was already posted here

Different source but the same story...
edit on 24-1-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

Seriously though? Why would they want to provoke anonymous, that's just a recipe for disaster...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by phixion

that sounds like a reason why'd they shut it down, making a way so the artist won't be a slave to the corporation

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
reply to post by BMorris

Seriously though? Why would they want to provoke anonymous, that's just a recipe for disaster...

I highly doubt that this is the reason.
I mean come on, anonymous is crap.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by phixion

Interesting thought and observation. The Megabox launch would quite plausibly add insult to injury to the media moguls already in a tizzy over piracy.

Give artists 90%? Oh hell no. What would an artist do with money other than throw it away on recreational pursuits anyway?

Setting a 90% standard for artists, I think, would be a threat to established standards in exploitation of creativity and talent. Your proposition seems plausible.

It's also quite disturbing too in respect that people WITH MONEY, that have nothing to do with law enforcement, can coop law enforcement for their own mafia style hit on competition, if what you're suggesting is true.

S&F
The implications of this suggestion run all sorts of deep, beyond surface concerns over piracy.

edit on 24-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by phixion

Yeah, that would be enough to send the lobbyist's into action...

that is a revolutionary music business model..

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Well since the owner had houses all over New Zealand including the most expensive private house there he was a real latter day Robin Hood NOT
Hope he enjoys his new cell as much

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
MU was shut down for making money off the sharing of illegally reproduced movies and music, it is pretty straight forward.
Im still curious why youtube is not shut down. I mean you can get tons of music and full length movies on youtube.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

Yeah makes sense.

Government shutsdown filesharing website.

fake opposition/shill CIAnon retaliates to this.

Pro-big government Sheeple get suckered into more fascist legislation.

Nwo fixes a loose end. Freedom of information exchange.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I think a lot of you have this backwards. I feel like the government was already planning to take down Megaupload. However they would have used the proposed SOPA/PIPA as an excuse to take them down and a win for the new acts. Since it was not passed they just took it down anyway.....I mean they had the evidence to get rid of them for awhile, why else would they wait?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
SOPA and PIPA really have nothing to do with mega upload, if anything it shows that SOPA is not needed.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 24-1-2012 by JoshF because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I agree with Morris... It was a false flag imo to spark internet trolls

in other words

mega upload shut down - anon attacks - forces gov. to censor the web

easy cycle.... Most ADULTS (you know people who ACTUALLY vote) dont like anon... because of their backwards structure...

its easy to disagree with them... adults are rational.. kids are not... think about it

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
I agree with Morris... It was a false flag imo to spark internet trolls

in other words

mega upload shut down - anon attacks - forces gov. to censor the web

That makes no sense whatsoever, think about it.
Government censors the web to provoke an attack so that they censor the web?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Reply to post by JoshF

Actually they would have if passed, Megaupload would have been held personally responsible for the pirated content on their site.....thus it would have been used as a victory.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshF

Mega upload shutting down sparked an internet rage.... When people attack the internet that requires MORE regulations.. Just like when someone finds a new way to screw someone over they have to invoke a law in regards to said person screwing it over..

THE MORE media attention annon gets (and its not positive attention I promise you this) the more people will want the internet censored..

Google's petition got 14 million signatures well... 14 million out of 336 million people... REALLY isn't a good number if you think about it... that's actually aweful!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

reply to post by JoshF

Mega upload shutting down sparked an internet rage.... When people attack the internet that requires MORE regulations..

Not at all. Without SOPA posting copyrighted works online is illegal and so are DDOSes.

THE MORE media attention annon gets (and its not positive attention I promise you this) the more people will want the internet censored..

That is a pretty baseless claim.

Google's petition got 14 million signatures well... 14 million out of 336 million people... REALLY isn't a good number if you think about it... that's actually aweful!

Google's opposition to SOPA is ONLY to protect google. If SOPA passes youtube would be censored as hell and would have to go. Make no mistake google does not give a single crap about "freedom" or any other cause other than making money for google. When it comes to censorship google is all for it.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshF

reply to post by JoshF

Mega upload shutting down sparked an internet rage.... When people attack the internet that requires MORE regulations..

Not at all. Without SOPA posting copyrighted works online is illegal and so are DDOSes.

That is a pretty baseless claim.

Google's opposition to SOPA is ONLY to protect google. If SOPA passes youtube would be censored as hell and would have to go. Make no mistake google does not give a single crap about "freedom" or any other cause other than making money for google. When it comes to censorship google is all for it.
en.wikipedia.org...

Josh I completely agree with your last point about Google only looking out for their best finacial interest... However can you disagree with them for doing this??? Everything in politics, real life, THE INTERNET is money based... THINK about it...

Also the media pressing fear to have bills passed is the oldest trick in the book. Fear Mongering

new topics

top topics

join